Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - V9 software downgrade, not what I purchased.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another significant inconvenience new to V9:

It was a nice day, so I went to open my sunroof for the first time in about 6 months. The very convenient slider which allowed me to open it to 30-40% (my preferred opening to limit wind noise and sun on my head) with one press is gone. Now I have to press open, get the timing just right, with more eyes-off-the-road time, to press stop.

It's as if Tesla is trying to make us more distracted drivers. I don't get it.
That's totally lame. When's Tesla going fix this POS UI?

Since the car was new to me in 2014, it had always had what I thought was the best control for sunroof opening: top view picture of the car that you poke and drag the sunroof opening to a spot you'd like (with an active % indicator changing alongside). This was something cool and could show off as an example of how well the UI was integrated with the car. It would always get a "wow!" from a new passenger seeing that.

Some version of software came along and enhanced this a bit by adding a target line and gravity effect around the 70% open mark that would help you snap the roof to that spot, which was deemed an optimal setting for reduced buffeting .. and it was. This old sunroof interface was a great example of car operation UI integration.

With V9 that's all gone.
Nothing to show off about sunroof anymore.... yet the picture of the car is still sitting there... they could have just left this alone instead of deleting it. Now it's a just a grey "open" button.
Just as exciting as my dad's Buick!

Also, have you noticed with V9 when you use the controls to pop the frunk or hatch the car picture on that interface barely changes at all to indicate a lid is popped up. All you can see is something moved a millimeter on the screen somehow. The old version had yellow band warning areas to make it very obvious your frunk was open. That's gone from the console in V9. Why? (I know the answer: because yellow is a color, and the new UI console must be all grey wherever possible. Rule #1 it seems.)

What's next? I'm calling it: they'll get rid of the car picture altogether, and just have simple buttons:
Open Frunk.
Open Hatch.
Open Sunroof.
Oh, yeah. You wait.

Last edited:
Hey, Let's play a game on V9 while you're driving!

Get your city up on the console nav with earth view enabled.

Now do "Navigate McDonald's Restaurant" ... and it pulls up a list of choices with letters A.. through P or however many are around you. And for each one on the list there is an associated grey map marker on the nav map.

Here's the game: See if you can see any of the markers on the map!
It's hide and seek. That's the game. Good luck!

Bonus points: If you can find a marker see if you read the letter inside the marker on the map.

Give up? Game over. Turn off earth view ... so just the streets are showing. Now you can see the markers.
Awesome, hey?!

Why didn't they leave these markers RED? Easier to see and find quickly. In earth view too.
(I know the answer: because red is a color, and the new UI console must be all grey wherever possible. Rule #1 it seems.)

The sunroof opening scroll wheel assignment has disappeared .... It was there in the past. But not with V9.
Just checked and it’s still available on the right scroll wheel for me: 2015 70D, v9 2018.50.6

edit:
Why didn't they leave these markers RED? Easier to see and find quickly. In earth view too.
(I know the answer: because red is a color, and the new UI console must be all grey wherever possible. Rule #1 it seems.)

Two answers:
1) because light grey on grey seems to be in vogue for UI design these days, with zero regard for readability or contrast (can’t wait for that fad to die)
2) because Tesla UI developers must have come from the smartphone or pc industry and never drive the car, and also don’t have aging eyes (again, no attention to in-car readability)

Last edited:
Two answers:
1) because light grey on grey seems to be in vogue for UI design these days, with zero regard for readability or contrast (can’t wait for that fad to die)
2) because Tesla UI developers must have come from the smartphone or pc industry and never drive the car, and also don’t have aging eyes (again, no attention to in-car readability)

Here's an example of how version 9 has bad readability:
Capture68.PNG

In version 8 and below, the selected ride height is in blue so that it contrasts with the background. Now it's just white like the background with a tiny shadow to show it's selected.

View attachment 402687
In version 8 and below, the selected ride height is in blue so that it contrasts with the background. Now it's just white like the background with a tiny shadow to show it's selected.

it's bad enough with the trend for low contrast text on a PC or smartphone, but making the UI in a car harder to read for sake of style is just plain stupid

View attachment 402687

What's even weirder is if you select LOW ride height.. LOW becomes slightly darker text but the "expanded bubble shape" stays stuck around the word STANDARD. What's that supposed to mean? That bubble should follow the user selected height. As it did in previous versions.

Frick this UI team are clueless.

What Tesla should have done, in fact, was to follow the idea of original UI for sunroof, but for ride height.
Just poke your finger on the car image on the suspension tab and slide the car up or down on the screen, its tires remaining in a fixed position on the road. As you are adjusting the car, only a greyed car outline moves up and down transposed over top of the nice car image. As you slide up/down the outline snaps to allowable placements of the car at the 4 heights. A helpful bubble alongside could be spelling out the height as a word. When you let go the outline stays where you leave it and suspension goes into action and shows the image of the car moving to converge on the outline. When they meet, the car "fills" the outline. Done. You are now at that height.

For the at-speed non permitted heights... the outline simply won't budge further in height at those speeds.

Last edited:
This is nuts. Why don't I have it on v9 and you do?

My car is 2014 with original sunroof design.

Does the thumb wheel feature for sunroof adjustability only appear as an option if I open the sunroof first, so it's in play?

my right scroll wheel works as before (thankfully), press right menu button gives a bunch of choices, one of them being sunroof - select it there, and then scroll wheel opens the sunroof. I haven't used the touchscreen controls for the sunroof in a long time (annoying to do so while driving, the scroll wheel is easier/safer). so "no" you shouldn't have to open the roof first.

I have no idea why your car would be different in v9....

... Frick this UI team are clueless....

... oh, well maybe there's that.... ;)

Reactions: neroden
Another happy Version 9 customer from the MCU upgrade thread:

Was just updated to 2019.12.1.1 and was told that this would solve the crashing McU1 issues, stuttering audio, etc.

Well, guess what? It didn’t do squat to fix any of it. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

This is why I’m upset about having an MCU1 car that missed the cutoff by a day. I now have a car that’s just over a year old and is randomly crashing while driving, the audio sounds like garbage when driving, homelink will occasionally stop working, text display issues, and on and on and on.

Get the retrofits going all ready. V9 continues to be a freaking bad dream.

You guys do realize you are getting left in the dust regarding the latest features coming out. EG. Faster SUC, better Autopilot, better NN, etc...

Its forgone fellas, time to start accepting the new OS or stay in the past.
I'm still not seeing any new features worth the risk. If sentry mode actually recorded video then maybe. But I've never needed sentry mode or a dash cam for any events I've had in the past, so It would probably just be a waste time messing with it anyway.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and am_dmd