Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - V9 software downgrade, not what I purchased.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was about to hit "install" but thought I would come by here and see what's up, having learned from the 7--> 8 "feedback". Add me to the group with a wait and see/don't update just yet attitude.

To give some people hope, they did bring back the ability to scroll through your music with letters in v8 once people complained loud enough as this had been removed. Same with the then new feature which only allowed AC auto recirc to stick if the fan was set to 4 or higher.

Having said that, whomever thought that shoehorning a UI designed for landscape into a portrait layout failed UX 101. I'm all for consistency, but not when it's at the expense of basic usability and safety. It's like these guys/gals forget that their design is used in an object moving at 60mph or more, not at a desk. Doh.

Last edited:
I can't help but notice you failed to address ANY of the points I raised in my post and instead just attack the messenger.
You raised no points about the car that had even the slightest merit. So what's to address? You're just whining that there are things you don't like. That doesn't equate to there being anything wrong with them. If there are too many things you don't like, get something else.

That there are problems with the company regarding communications and parts is not arguable. If that is too much for you, get something else. But don't pretend it's a surprise. It has been true since the beginning. And yet people are mostly happy because the car is so amazingly good,

Quite entertaining...

People have voiced a valid concern. There’s only one really. Allow functions to occupy the top or bottom of the screen, even if it covers the map in the background. We didn’t mind the map being hidden before.

Let’s see what updates appear in 42 and 43. So far 40 and 41 are just “bug fixes.”

The beauty of updates is that in the future things will get fine tuned.

I only learned this very recenty, because Telsa CHANGED their warranty since we purchased our car back in September 2017. (they made this change in January of 2018 and been applying it retroactively)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_S_X_Warranty_NA_en.pdf

"You are responsible for the proper operation of the vehicle and for receiving and maintaining detailed and accurate records of your vehicle’s maintenance, including the 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”), servicing center name and address, mileage, date of service or maintenance and description of service or maintenance items, which should be transferred to each subsequent purchaser. You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to: • Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available; • Complying with any recall advisories; • Carrying passengers and cargo within specified load limits; and • Making all repairs." (emphasis added)

So.. if you want to keep your warranty you are REQUIRED to do the software upgrade.

They can't change it retroactively - that is illegal. My warranty document has no limitation about software/firmware updates and that provision absolutely doesn't apply to me, or anyone else that purchased prior to the change.

So I was about to hit "install" but thought I would come by here and see what's up, having learned from the 7--> 8 "feedback". Add me to the group with a wait and see/don't update just yet attitude.

To give some people hope, they did bring back the ability to scroll through your music with letters in v8 once people complained loud enough as this had been removed. Same with the then new feature which only allowed AC auto recirc to stick if the fan was set to 4 or higher.

Having said that, whomever thought that shoehorning a UI designed for landscape into a portrait layout failed UX 101. I'm all for consistency, but not when it's at the expense of basic usability and safety. It's like these guys/gals forget that their design is used in an object moving at 60mph or more, not at a desk. Doh.
Chilling here on v8, dismissing the notifications a dozen times a day. Stay the course my friend.

• Love
Reactions: hmmm and kavyboy
Quite entertaining...

People have voiced a valid concern. There’s only one really. Allow functions to occupy the top or bottom of the screen, even if it covers the map in the background. We didn’t mind the map being hidden before.

Let’s see what updates appear in 42 and 43. So far 40 and 41 are just “bug fixes.”

The beauty of updates is that in the future things will get fine tuned.

What I'm secretly wondering is if they "bandaid" patch this version so that NAV is still in the background, will it take up processor ticks and make the UI even slower? That's a very Tesla thing to do, make the knee-jerk change without thinking about the consequences. Remember the equalizer? "Hey, here's 5 bands to tune. BTW, these will all reset at random next time you play a song." or "Oh, you wanted your mobile device to be able to control track next? Great, let us reset the audio book back to the beginning when you open the rear doors."

Reactions: marchino
You raised no points about the car that had even the slightest merit. So what's to address? You're just whining that there are things you don't like. That doesn't equate to there being anything wrong with them. If there are too many things you don't like, get something else.

That there are problems with the company regarding communications and parts is not arguable. If that is too much for you, get something else. But don't pretend it's a surprise. It has been true since the beginning. And yet people are mostly happy because the car is so amazingly good,

You claimed that the car is 10 times better than any car out there. I explained, in detail, how that was not the case.

#1) It is very far behind on technology integration. MOST other cars have Android Auto/CarPlay in them, allowing you to mirror many apps to the center console and receive and respond to texts with voice commands. Tesla does not have that capability. By buying a Tesla, you are very far behind most other cars on the road.

#2) Tesla's has some of the worst visibility of cars in its class. Blind spots remain completely blind even when you turn your head due to the design of the car. Their blind spot detector is similarly sub par, as if you live in a city, it is CONSTANTLY flashing and it gives no audible or physical warning until it is too late. We had a Cadillac SRX prior to the Tesla and it vibrated the seat to warn you. Other cars we tested (Hyundai Ioniq) have a loud bell that chimes if you put on your directional and there is a car near your blindspot. Honda Clarity actually has a camera that pops up your side view when you put on your directional. Tesla is FAR BEHIND in that spot.

The car is not "amazing good". It is a an average car. What made Tesla special was that it was the ONLY luxury EV with decent range. The Bolt has manual seats and otherwise feels cheap. The Clarity has only 92 miles range. The Ioniq only 125. The Leaf is just uncomfortable.

And yes, I plan to get something else, which is why we are selling our 2017 S. The shame is there are a FLOOD of them on the market right now, so much so that the Lexus dealership wasn't really interested in talking trade because they have gotten too many over the last 2 weeks.

You claimed that the car is 10 times better than any car out there. I explained, in detail, how that was not the case.

#1) It is very far behind on technology integration. MOST other cars have Android Auto/CarPlay in them, allowing you to mirror many apps to the center console and receive and respond to texts with voice commands. Tesla does not have that capability. By buying a Tesla, you are very far behind most other cars on the road.

#2) Tesla's has some of the worst visibility of cars in its class. Blind spots remain completely blind even when you turn your head due to the design of the car. Their blind spot detector is similarly sub par, as if you live in a city, it is CONSTANTLY flashing and it gives no audible or physical warning until it is too late. We had a Cadillac SRX prior to the Tesla and it vibrated the seat to warn you. Other cars we tested (Hyundai Ioniq) have a loud bell that chimes if you put on your directional and there is a car near your blindspot. Honda Clarity actually has a camera that pops up your side view when you put on your directional. Tesla is FAR BEHIND in that spot.

The car is not "amazing good". It is a an average car. What made Tesla special was that it was the ONLY luxury EV with decent range. The Bolt has manual seats and otherwise feels cheap. The Clarity has only 92 miles range. The Ioniq only 125. The Leaf is just uncomfortable.

And yes, I plan to get something else, which is why we are selling our 2017 S. The shame is there are a FLOOD of them on the market right now, so much so that the Lexus dealership wasn't really interested in talking trade because they have gotten too many over the last 2 weeks.

LOL... That's all I could really do with your post is laugh... To say the Model S is an "average car" is a complete and total farce in every way... To each their own for sure but you're really, really straining to come up with any sort of reasoning why you're dumping your Tesla for a Lexus... Really a Lexus...??? LOL...

Then top it all off you claim your local Lexus dealer is flooded with Tesla trade-ins? Yeah... Sure... Who would have thought there'd be a run of Tesla owners frantically dropping their Tesla's for a Lexus...??? Really??? You want us to believe that...???

Yeah, yeah I know I'm not helping the community by mocking others car choices blah, blah, blah but a Lexus...??? Really...???

Jeff

They can't change it retroactively - that is illegal. My warranty document has no limitation about software/firmware updates and that provision absolutely doesn't apply to me, or anyone else that purchased prior to the change.
Legally, I agree with you 1000%.

HOWEVER, that is not THEIR position. At this moment, if you do not upgrade to version 9 and need warranty service they will REFUSE TO PREFORM IT.

Again, I agree. The warranty you received IS the warranty they should be held to. However, that is not currently stopping Tesla from pointing to the current warranty posted online as THE warranty and SAYING it overrides the warranty you have in your possession.

This is why I am taking exceptional issue to the way they are handling this and their current refusal to rollback to V8.

It sounds like you aren't actually interested in driving a car. What you want to do is look behind you and fiddle with apps. You should probably stick to vehicles that are good for that sort of thing, whatever they are. Teslas aren't for everyone.

LOL... That's all I could really do with your post is laugh... To say the Model S is an "average car" is a complete and total farce in every way... To each their own for sure but you're really, really straining to come up with any sort of reasoning why you're dumping your Tesla for a Lexus... Really a Lexus...??? LOL...

Then top it all off you claim your local Lexus dealer is flooded with Tesla trade-ins? Yeah... Sure... Who would have thought there'd be a run of Tesla owners frantically dropping their Tesla's for a Lexus...??? Really??? You want us to believe that...???

Yeah, yeah I know I'm not helping the community by mocking others car choices blah, blah, blah but a Lexus...??? Really...???

Jeff
I really don't are what you choose to believe or not, but it is reality. Yes, people are trading in their Tesla's for Lexus' and we were considering it, but they did not want to value the trade and suggested we go to carmax. CarMax quoted us 61K for a car we paid 92K for 1 year ago and have under 5K miles on, so that wasn't an option. Private sales look to be able to get around 75K, so that is likely the route we will go, but that will take time.

Explain how it is NOT an average car? It's got a group of pros and cons. The pros used to outweigh the cons and one of the pros was customer service. Now the balance has tipped the other way. The fact that I have since learned that Tesla is refusing service to people who have not upgraded to the latest software, thereby making future updates mandatory, despite the fact that my warranty contains no such language, is another con. The fact that they have refused to offer anything other than platitudes to the people impacted by this significant downgrade is another con.

It sounds like you aren't actually interested in driving a car. What you want to do is look behind you and fiddle with apps. You should probably stick to vehicles that are good for that sort of thing, whatever they are. Teslas aren't for everyone.

Exactly the opposite. I want to be able to drive a car WITHOUT fiddling with apps and WITHOUT having to constantly turn around to see what is behind me.

If Tesla had decent technology integration and reverted to V8, that would be possible. But instead, we have missile command now.

Legally, I agree with you 1000%.

HOWEVER, that is not THEIR position. At this moment, if you do not upgrade to version 9 and need warranty service they will REFUSE TO PREFORM IT.

Again, I agree. The warranty you received IS the warranty they should be held to. However, that is not currently stopping Tesla from pointing to the current warranty posted online as THE warranty and SAYING it overrides the warranty you have in your possession.

This is why I am taking exceptional issue to the way they are handling this and their current refusal to rollback to V8.

But in the documents Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement they provide at purchase, it shows this:

upload_2018-10-22_12-50-29.png

Just another way they don't have a leg to stand on.

Reactions: autarch