Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - V9 software downgrade, not what I purchased.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, what, one tweet is all it takes? I really hate how 500 people can use the official support channels, come to fisticuffs on TMC, and then all we get is crickets from Tesla corporate. But all it really took was some rando tweeting to get the response we all wanted?
You do know that Miguel de Icaza is sort of well know in some circles? But I do get your point.

You do know that Miguel de Icaza is sort of well know in some circles? But I do get your point.
Is he "internet famous"? Because if so, that's about as far into obscure as you can get with me. But I'll Google him now, thank you.

Edit: Nope, he's legit famous. He worked on Wine. I propose that if we need any software update suggestions, we funnel them through this guy from now on.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and neroden
Version 9 is made for a model 3 (and perhaps future S/X) single "horizontal model 3 screen".

I am very unhappy with Tesla for reducing the functionality of my console.

The Model S/X vertical screen was kind of like two monitors for your computer at home or work.
You could open the functional displays energy, audio, map, etc. and choose where to locate top or bottom or full screen.
Now there is only one universal shared "flexible window" at the very bottom of the screen. The rear camera view and all other function screens are down by the cup holders.

What is the rest of the display doing.. a map stuck as the background.... Really? Did someone forget to program a close button on the map?

This interface layout is not suitable for a vertical screen. The design is for a horizontal screen located mid dash in height. All of the menus are at the very bottom of the screen, you know farthest away from the road and where your attention should be. I am aware that Tesla has shown concepts of one horizontal screen for the future model S and X just like the model 3. Maybe this interface is perfect for that, but is terrible and perhaps dangerous for a vertical screen like the models S/X currently have.

I bought my model S with the "2 window" screen, now I have only 1, and located down by the cup holder.
How many computer monitors are on your desk? Ya know, you really only need one, you can just tab between the applications. This update effectively removed one of my monitors and replaced it with a fixed map while locking the position of the remaining monitor.

Will Tesla restore the lost functionality? I hope so, but I doubt it.

The software interface needs to be reworked for all vertical screen interfaces. The menus need to be located at the top of the display (not the bottom), and restore the 2 active screen windows, with zoom and swap like I purchased with my model S.

Tesla this is really going backward in my opinion.

Formerly a happy customer in Ohio.
I mostly agree. Icons on bottom of screen increase distraction time. Another peeve is the HVAC. Default is dash and lower vents with AC on! I'm in New England. Its 40 deg. Why is the AC on? Haven't found how to change defaults yet...probably won't be able too. As owners we should have more say in defaults. I too miss the 2 active screens.

Is he "internet famous"? Because if so, that's about as far into obscure as you can get with me. But I'll Google him now, thank you.

Edit: Nope, he's legit famous. He worked on Wine. I propose that if we need any software update suggestions, we funnel them through this guy from now on.
I didn't even know he worked on Wine. I know him from Mono and Gnome and the other stuff on his Wikipedia page.

Good thing all of this is software. The real takeaway is that choice in where things go and what can be up on a large screen is important to many.

“Blind spot” alarms need to remain optional. My mirrors, adjusted correctly, show even a motorcycle pass seamlessly from my rear view mirror to my side mirror. When it’s beside me and I can’t see it in the side mirror I see the motorcycle when I look left, or right, before I put on my turn signal.

This works even on the Model X. If anyone has questions on how to set mirrors, please ask. I’m sure there’s a good video out there showing tried and true methods.

Happy electric motoring!

Fair point. Technically there are a number of folks who refuse the update. But your point is valid that with most of the companies I mentioned you can get back to the old version yourself.
One can always install or keep win 7, use an iphone 5, and then there is Linux one can re install basically any old release out there. With little searching one still be able to go dig an old Slackware install ISO. :) :) Ill take the old V7 back anytime on an AP1.

Version 7 is my favorite also, the last one to have skeuomorphic design.

Reactions: morrisdl and Barry
Can someone hire a scientist of some kind to measure how long it takes for a normal human eye to look at something that is 3 inches lower? I mean 1/10 of a second? Maybe a little more? Id like to know more exactly so I can feel the full force of the drama ensued here over a "safety" change.

Getting emotional is not going to solve anything. It is unsafe to look away from the road. Without full screen, you have to scroll within a smaller screen, that is lower. As repeated, more of the non-tactile screen controls are lower. They require guidance, by eye. I don't take shame in saying "that sucks". Being able to look forward, not to the side, or down, is what I value. I am sorry if that offends the smallest silicon valley techie, to Elon Musk. When you start with a compromise, don't ask for more. The "customer is always right".

Of course, the problem with that last one is Elon is bent to prove AP is better/safer. I take that as consistent with all of this. He's right, not me.

Good idea. Maybe we can get him to complain about USB music?

Geez, this thread seems to be a good example of why 2 of my friends said they no longer visit this forum. People just want to argue and try to prove they are right and you are wrong. One person wants to be smarter than the other. If you don't agree with them, then you must be an idiot in their view. Why can't people just state their reason and move on? You're just increasing your anxiety, blood pressure, and die earlier. Glad I'm turning off notifications of thread like this. My ignore list is also getting longer.

What HE said!!

• Helpful
Reactions: ZsoZso
Good thing all of this is software. The real takeaway is that choice in where things go and what can be up on a large screen is important to many.

“Blind spot” alarms need to remain optional. My mirrors, adjusted correctly, show even a motorcycle pass seamlessly from my rear view mirror to my side mirror. When it’s beside me and I can’t see it in the side mirror I see the motorcycle when I look left, or right, before I put on my turn signal.

This works even on the Model X. If anyone has questions on how to set mirrors, please ask. I’m sure there’s a good video out there showing tried and true methods.

Happy electric motoring!

Very good. It seems most people (especially my wife) have absolutely no idea how to properly set your rearview mirrors. Once it is done correctly and you get used to it, there are no blind spots.