Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - V9 software downgrade, not what I purchased.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure you want to go back to this?

IMG_4247.jpg

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
To the great unwashed..........please be enlightened......

I just saw this video and I agree proper mirror adjustment should be trained to all new drivers. Unfortunately this process in the video with self adjusting mirrors that lower the view angle as you back up might lead to a not being able to see little kids next to your vehicle or other objects closer to your car. I'm going to test it out.

For sure though I would rather hit a car in traffic(rarely but huge blind spots in Model S have brought close calls) then run over a kid/person/other backing up.

Now with version 9, I use the video not as much as before because its not there half the time I want it to be up on the screen because I was asking the screen to do something else moments before. It used to be up on the screen perpetually as I recall most of the time.

I have tested others in my work and they like to look at 3/4 of the vehicle(oh what a shiny green car I have, I love my car in the mirror) and 1/4 of the lane next to them in most mirror settings I have seen in the wild.

Reactions: FlyinLow
Yes, v8 for safety was better and waze was killer. The maps now have me in the middle of the ocean sometimes. Make a right turn in 100 feet in the next Jetty. Hopefully your wearing your wet suit. It was never intended for AP-1 cars. The person who designed AP-1, designed it to be like it was.

Not the way ver 9 is trying to be.

If its a Model 3, its working as designed beautifully for Model 3. This is trying to squeeze an elephant in a Horse Trailer. Some things have there limits, Ap-1 was at its limit nearly before version 9. How do I know? Because Elon Musk told us so two years ago. Oh yes, I forgot "what he says is BS", don't listen to him, we can make it better?

What they have done is pissed off a l lot of owners to the point that they want to trade in. Lets just face it. I have.

Last edited:

View attachment 400550
Yes please, may I have another. They actually had a better UI back when the S first came out. I much prefer a high contrast 3d interface. At a glance you know, or knew what to press. They really lost me when the map had to touched to bring the interface up. Why? Muscle memory is real thing, even with a glass cockpit.

Yes please, may I have another. They actually had a better UI back when the S first came out. I much prefer a high contrast 3d interface. At a glance you know, or knew what to press. They really lost me when the map had to touched to bring the interface up. Why? Muscle memory is real thing, even with a glass cockpit.

The user interface of version 7 and below were the best. Modern UIs like in version 9 look like it was made by lazy designers. The good thing about version 8 is that it uses radar for Autopilot, the interface was not as flat and bad as in version 9 (it still had 3D icons), and it still had the ability to choose any 2 apps.

The user interface of version 7 and below were the best. Modern UIs like in version 9 look like it was made by lazy designers. The good thing about version 8 is that it uses radar for Autopilot, the interface was not as flat and bad as in version 9 (it still had 3D icons), and it still had the ability to choose any 2 apps.
I don't know if the designers were lazy, but instead, time challenged. I think one of the things we, Tesla owners, are proud of, is over-the-air software/firmware updates. It's one of the first thing every Tesla owner cites as an advantage/feature of Teslas.

I think what really happened is that Musk, with truely good intentions, says/tweets how great the next version of auto-pilot and the user interface will be, and then AP just drags on and on while sales are flat and the stock just stews, because we all want the next new shiny thing.

Then the UI people are forced to create new eye candy for us with just weeks to "throw" it together to keep eyeballs positively on Tesla. The sad part is that Elon, needs to be more like Steve Jobs, and just say "no, it's sh#t. Fix it." Instead he green lights sh#t to hopefully keep the cars selling and stock up.

There really can't be anyone in Tesla that thinks they have improved functionality. Sure, clean up the icons, tighten things here and there, but keep some depth and contrast for legibility. To me real functionality would have been being able to have user defined skins/preferences so that I could have larger font sizes, onscreen user buttons to execute additional user presets, etc.

Who wouldn't want a button that changes the mirrors from looking at the blind spots to looking back down the side of the car for motorcycles changing lanes, etc. Heck, tie it to a script that says when in Auto pilot, change mirror setting. That's when I really want it. Then again, shouldn't AP be looking for lane splitters and helping them out by moving over a bit?

Last edited:
Part of the problem is the UI team's average age is probaly 30, while the driver's average age is probably 55. At 40+, the eyes change for near tasks. The all-grayscale maps really are horrible. Bring back color for lakes, etc., and green lines for normally moving traffic.

Add to that, they're all driving 3's and drinking way too much kombucha... they're designing for themselves; not S/X owners.

It's like they forgot that they're making the UI for a car, not a tablet! The toggles and media control buttons are too small in version 9, and the swiping gestures are not intuitive while driving; version 8 had better ways of navigating the interface, like how you can press the side of the screen to dismiss menus(such as the charging screen and controls screen), only a small swipe is required to put an app where you want, etc.

Here's another significant inconvenience new to V9:

It was a nice day, so I went to open my sunroof for the first time in about 6 months. The very convenient slider which allowed me to open it to 30-40% (my preferred opening to limit wind noise and sun on my head) with one press is gone. Now I have to press open, get the timing just right, with more eyes-off-the-road time, to press stop.

It's as if Tesla is trying to make us more distracted drivers. I don't get it.

Here's another significant inconvenience new to V9:

It was a nice day, so I went to open my sunroof for the first time in about 6 months. The very convenient slider which allowed me to open it to 30-40% (my preferred opening to limit wind noise and sun on my head) with one press is gone. Now I have to press open, get the timing just right, with more eyes-off-the-road time, to press stop.

It's as if Tesla is trying to make us more distracted drivers. I don't get it.

If you assign one of the scroll wheels to the sunroof, finding your % that you like is a bit easier.

Reactions: scottm