Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - V9 software downgrade, not what I purchased.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Version 9 is made for a model 3 (and perhaps future S/X) single "horizontal model 3 screen".

I am very unhappy with Tesla for reducing the functionality of my console.

The Model S/X vertical screen was kind of like two monitors for your computer at home or work.
You could open the functional displays energy, audio, map, etc. and choose where to locate top or bottom or full screen.
Now there is only one universal shared "flexible window" at the very bottom of the screen. The rear camera view and all other function screens are down by the cup holders.

What is the rest of the display doing.. a map stuck as the background.... Really? Did someone forget to program a close button on the map?

This interface layout is not suitable for a vertical screen. The design is for a horizontal screen located mid dash in height. All of the menus are at the very bottom of the screen, you know farthest away from the road and where your attention should be. I am aware that Tesla has shown concepts of one horizontal screen for the future model S and X just like the model 3. Maybe this interface is perfect for that, but is terrible and perhaps dangerous for a vertical screen like the models S/X currently have.

I bought my model S with the "2 window" screen, now I have only 1, and located down by the cup holder.
How many computer monitors are on your desk? Ya know, you really only need one, you can just tab between the applications. This update effectively removed one of my monitors and replaced it with a fixed map while locking the position of the remaining monitor.

Will Tesla restore the lost functionality? I hope so, but I doubt it.

The software interface needs to be reworked for all vertical screen interfaces. The menus need to be located at the top of the display (not the bottom), and restore the 2 active screen windows, with zoom and swap like I purchased with my model S.

Tesla this is really going backward in my opinion.

Formerly a happy customer in Ohio.

The icons for phone, rear camera and such are pretty sad and less intuitive, no colour does not help.
The worst is low placement of the rear view video, may be good enough for 80year old drivers, not for anyone backing at a decent speed and continously is uses side mirrors and some camera.
Actually, 80-year-old drivers are more likely to be a bit stiff in the neck and need that camera as a side-mirror. Anything that forces your eyes further from the road is less desirable than what does not.

Version 9 is made for a model 3 (and perhaps future S/X) single "horizontal model 3 screen".

The Model S/X vertical screen was kind of like two monitors for your computer at home or work.
You could open the functional displays energy, audio, map, etc. and choose where to locate top or bottom or full screen.
Now there is only one universal shared "flexible window" at the very bottom of the screen. The rear camera view and all other function screens are down by the cup holders.

What is the rest of the display doing.. a map stuck as the background.... Really? Did someone forget to program a close button on the map?

This interface layout is not suitable for a vertical screen. The design is for a horizontal screen located mid dash in height. All of the menus are at the very bottom of the screen, you know farthest away from the road and where your attention should be. I am aware that Tesla has shown concepts of one horizontal screen for the future model S and X just like the model 3. Maybe this interface is perfect for that, but is terrible and perhaps dangerous for a vertical screen like the models S/X currently have.

I bought my model S with the "2 window" screen, now I have only 1, and located down by the cup holder.
How many computer monitors are on your desk? Ya know, you really only need one, you can just tab between the applications. This update effectively removed one of my monitors and replaced it with a fixed map while locking the position of the remaining monitor.

The software interface needs to be reworked for all vertical screen interfaces. The menus need to be located at the top of the display (not the bottom), and restore the 2 active screen windows, with zoom and swap like I purchased with my model S.

Let Tesla know how you feel. They are collecting names as the "upgrade" makes its way through the customer base. If they get enough people howling for a roll-back, they will provide it. This I was told by Tesla.

I can see where traveling salespeople or upscale Uber drivers might be glad to have the map always front and center to the virtual elimination of other features -- but I do all my driving in the city where I grew up. I rarely use NAV. I can't believe I'm alone in this.

Let Tesla know how you feel. They are considering selective rollbacks if they hear from enough vertical-screen drivers.

I like all the buttons at the bottom better. They are closer to where my hands are when I'm driving.

That's the only nice thing I have to say about Tesla.

i could go either way on this one. I do like that they are easier to reach, but it also means looking further away from the road.

To compromise, i hope the next update puts the menu bar through the middle of the screen. o_O

I can see where traveling salespeople or upscale Uber drivers might be glad to have the map always front and center to the virtual elimination of other features -- but I do all my driving in the city where I grew up. I rarely use NAV. I can't believe I'm alone in this.

Your not alone. I rarely used Nav but now I’m forced to loose the top half of my screen to it.
That aspect is NOT an upgrade!!

Reactions: GuyHall
Couldn't agree with you more! It sucks losing the ability to populate the center console the way i want it. I liked having the backup camera on all the time and at the top of the console and having the music play list at the bottom.

I very rarely use the map feature, unless i go somewhere I'm not familiar with (rare) or i need to view availability at a charging station location.

I could careless about the maps 97% of the time......lame!!!

Came here hoping that this wasn't the situation and that someone knew of some easy fix to get the screen display back to the way I like it. Dammit. My standard config was the rear camera on top and the media player on the bottom. I only rarely use the Nav. Now I can't see the camera and media at the same time, need to tap one *more* button than before to bring up the camera view, and the view as mentioned is in a much more dangerous location that keeps the eyes away from the road. This has to be fixed - why in the world would they assume that everyone wants a map view 100% of the time?

I urge everyone who feels this way to please submit an executive review on the issue via your account on the Tesla website. We need them to have a wall of requests so that the issue will be addressed! Everyone who posts about the issue here should also submit a request for executive review, JUST AVOIDING THE UPDATE DOES NOTHING TO FIX THE ISSUE and its likely that your car will need a repair at some point that requires a software update!!:rolleyes:o_OIt will not be fixed by staying quiet or avoiding the update!!

Remember “ The squeaky wheel gets greased “:rolleyes:

Hopefully we can get Tesla to address the issue before you are forced to update due to a repair at the service center etc. :eek: For example if your drive unit fails they have to update your software after the install. :eek:

To do this, Login to your account and then select manage your vehicle. Under the support section use the drop down to select Escalate this concern for executive review. Then in the box below that describe your issue and click SUBMIT as pictured below

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.15.38 PM.jpg

I urge everyone who feels this way to please submit an executive review on the issue via your account on the Tesla website. We need them to have a wall of requests so that the issue will be addressed! Everyone who posts about the issue here should also submit a request for executive review, JUST AVOIDING THE UPDATE DOES NOTHING TO FIX THE ISSUE and its likely that your car will need a repair at some point that requires a software update!!:rolleyes:o_OIt will not be fixed by staying quiet or avoiding the update!!

Remember “ The squeaky wheel gets greased “:rolleyes:

Hopefully we can get Tesla to address the issue before you are forced to update due to a repair at the service center etc. :eek: For example if your drive unit fails they have to update your software after the install. :eek:

To do this, Login to your account and then select manage your vehicle. Under the support section use the drop down to select Escalate this concern for executive review. Then in the box below that describe your issue and click SUBMIT as pictured below

View attachment 342389
I thought executive escalation was for when regular requests were not resolved.