Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 'Vent' only opens windows but does not close them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2019 Model S 'Ravel' Long Range.

The recent software (Version 2020.40.4) and iPhone Tesla App (3.10.8) added a 'Vent' icon on my iPhone Tesla App.

I tabbed the 'Vent' icon and all 4 windows of my Model S rolled down to vent. However, the 'Vent' icon wouldn't allow me to close the windows.

I read that was supposed to be a safety feature? Can anyone please confirm the 'Vent' icon on the Model S will only lower the windows but won't close them? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks,

HchCSt6.jpg

I think the Model S lacks the ability (hardware issue) to sense obstruction when it closes its windows, so after you've vented them it won't close them just in case, for example, a toddler has their arm through the gap.

I don’t think this is true... I read this, and went to test it out; if you put something in the window and have them roll up it senses the obstruction and rolls back down not applying much pressure in the process, there must be some other reason..

If you can remotely vent, I would like to assume we can remotely fully open and close them, the model 3/y and can vent and close and I believe a recent update once they lock the car if the windows are open they’ll close..

Another advantage for the Model S cars with sunroofs. I can remotely vent the car with the sunroof, AND then close the sunroof. Also, as I discovered one time unintentionally, the sunroof has a very sensitive switch that detects obstructions and won't let it move if it does detect one.

Yeah, this is a really dumb feature to add. A waste of the programmer's time to have spent working on this. I will offer an idea that a bored Tesla programmer can work on the Model S and X... Allow for the suspension to be adjusted with left thumb wheel when car is moving slowly, as in parking. I find it distracting to find the suspension adjustment in the center display while I am trying to park... but, if I could long press the left scroll wheel, select suspension then roll the wheel to increase height.. that would be as cool as Fart mode.

Yeah, this is a really dumb feature to add. A waste of the programmer's time to have spent working on this. I will offer an idea that a bored Tesla programmer can work on the Model S and X... Allow for the suspension to be adjusted with left thumb wheel when car is moving slowly, as in parking. I find it distracting to find the suspension adjustment in the center display while I am trying to park... but, if I could long press the left scroll wheel, select suspension then roll the wheel to increase height.. that would be as cool as Fart mode.
I think its a great feature. I don't know where you live but in Sacramento it is a requirement! I just wish it was on the screen in addition to the app.

IMO, if they think it's OK to have your car move using the app, you should be able to close windows.

Originally we could roll all the windows all the way down by holding the unlock (roof) button on the key fob for a few seconds. There was no way to roll them up remotely then either. It was disappointing then too.

Tesla quietly removed that feature through a software update. Probably somebody complained when it rained in their car after they leaned on a desk with the key in their pocket.