Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 'Vent' only opens windows but does not close them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They must, as it tells me if rear seat passengers don’t have seat belt buckles. Only warns if someone is sitting there.
Our S 90D from December 2016 didn't have rear seat sensors and wouldn't indicate if the seat belts weren't in use. Our S 100D from March 2017 did have seat sensors. I'm guessing your car was built after December 2016.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Sometimes, you park your car, walk through a million inches of snow into a mall, and just as you are lining up to buy a mug in the dollar store, your tesla app pops a message : "xxx window not fully closed". You struggle with the app looking for a button to close the windows (there isn't one) and you remember this is the 20th time you looked for this button in the app. Finally you have to make a choice. Do you let the insides of the Tesla freeze over to arctic temperatures or do you walk back through 2 million inches of snow back and forth just to close that window?

Depending how long your drive home is and how much battery is left, a 3rd option comes up --- just warm up the insides of the car 10 minutes before you leave and let the Tesla's heater battle valiantly with the worst winter can bring. I usually choose option 3.

Reactions: David29
Well what is funny about this is even though Tesla only lets you roll down the windows there is a third party app in App Store that will let you close the windows via the API. Also the newer model S the refresh can open and close windows I think Raven can’t,

You sure a 2019 Model S cant roll up windows?
Yes. The app will helpfully tell you as much if you press the “vent” button.

3CEBF0BE-AC79-4FA4-9813-83D7F788E5AF.jpeg

stupidest thing i've ever seen
Well, all I can say is that my 2015 Model S could not even roll down the windows until a year or so ago when the "vent" feature was added to the app. At least now the older cars can do that to help with pre-cooling (and it makes a huge difference in how fast you can cool down a car that's been sitting in the sun!).
It might be a small improvement over what my car could do when I got it, but as they say, "Half a Loaf is better than none!"

Reactions: ucmndd
When one buys a $100k car that creates certain expectations. When that person discovers that reality does not match expectations they will start to complain.
Case in point: my “cheap” 2006 Audi S4 did have the roll up and down function through the remote and my expectation was that a more luxury, almost twice the price car would also have it. Naturally, I did not expect more expensive car to be less “luxurious” and didn’t know that, in addition to not having the roll up windows, Model S does not have adjustable seat belts, the defogger is a joke, the UI is a mess, changing the cabin filter or 12v battery requires to disassemble the front of the car, it does not have rear camber adjustment, it has a design issue with front half axels… I guess I (and many others) was naive not to check those things. Now, I know that Tesla is technologically very advanced but not luxurious car and I am at peace with that, except for moments when a new UI design crazy update hits me.

When one buys a $100k car that creates certain expectations. When that person discovers that reality does not match expectations they will start to complain.
Case in point: my “cheap” 2006 Audi S4 did have the roll up and down function through the remote and my expectation was that a more luxury, almost twice the price car would also have it. Naturally, I did not expect more expensive car to be less “luxurious” and didn’t know that, in addition to not having the roll up windows, Model S does not have adjustable seat belts, the defogger is a joke, the UI is a mess, changing the cabin filter or 12v battery requires to disassemble the front of the car, it does not have rear camber adjustment, it has a design issue with front half axels… I guess I (and many others) was naive not to check those things. Now, I know that Tesla is technologically very advanced but not luxurious car and I am at peace with that, except for moments when a new UI design crazy update hits me.
For the older cars, including my 2015 model, I tend to feel that the Model S was Tesla's first car designed from the ground up, and for a first attempt they did a damned good job! Consumer Reports (in 2014, I think) called it the best sedan they had ever tested! So I accept that some things are not what I would have liked. Plus, I could see improvements in my car compared to the 2012 model (the cold weather package is one of the major examples), and other changes were provided by software updates even after I received the car. Yes, I would have liked adjustable seat belt anchors but the belts seem to fit me OK. In any case, I knew what the car was like before I ordered it, from several test drives and lots of time in the showrooms. So I accepted the compromises.
But I do agree that the UI has not always evolved in the direction I would like. It has more features now than in 2015, but is less clear, harder to read. And from what I can see, the 2022 version is even worse (but opinions differ).
As for the window operation specifically, I recall reading years ago that the very early Model S cars had a feature that allowed remote operation of the windows through the phone app, both up and down, but that it had been removed for some obscure safety reason. My recollection is fuzzy, and in any case my 2015 Tesla did not have it. I never had any other car with such a feature, so I did not feel too deprived. And I am glad to have the partial feature (down only) added recently.

Nobody paying any attention would accuse or expect a Tesla to be a luxury car. Just because two things cost the same does not mean they’re comparable.

Nobody paying any attention would accuse or expect a Tesla to be a luxury car. Just because two things cost the same does not mean they’re comparable.
Yet, it is marketed as a luxury car which, again, creates expectations for more than just “OK”. It is certainly not on the level of BMW, Audi, MB, Lexus, etc. craftsmanship. Definitely technologically more advanced but there are quite a few “cheapo” things that remind me of a basic rental. It is obvious that they cut corners for cost reduction which may be fine for the base model 3/Y but should not be the case for the “top of the line” S/X.

I just confirmed the 2022 Model S can vent and close the windows remotely. There is no warning. I vaguely remember there was some additional hardware sensor added for the windows, but I don't remember when this was done or if all models got it.

Tesla was never marketed as a luxury car. It was marketed as a premium sedan. I haven't looked up the exact definition, but I think "premium" means higher price.

You used to be able to roll down all windows all the way with the key fob. (But not back up.) I am among those disappointed in the removal of features from the UI over the years. Especially the full color map, green traffic indications and static +/- map buttons. Also miss the static climate off button, static app buttons, day and date... All features I was accustomed to that have been removed.

I don't imagine any good reason all Tesla cars can't close windows from remote. It's not not like they can cut off limbs or digits.