Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S very poor "Vision Line Height" for Tall Drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 6'4, and I have been always interested in the Model S but I tried to sit in Model S several times at various occasions all ending up very disappointed. On the forums / YouTube I kept hearing that Model S is great for tall drivers (e.g., some 6'4, 6'6 and 6'7 guys posting videos saying the S has great headroom and legroom). But in reality the S feels so cramped for me ...

The issue is not headroom or legroom, but the so called "vision line height", that is the height of the line where the windshield meets the roof. When I sit in a Model S (while putting the seat to lowest setting), my eye sight out is slightly *above* the vision line (again, it's the line where the windshield meets the roof). Yes, headroom and legroom are fine, but it feels so bad when you are looking at the bottom of the roof, which leads to (the feeling of) really poor visibility

I found that the vision line is unacceptably low for a Model S, when I compared it to the Model 3, BMW 3-/5- series, Mercedes C-/E-class ... I guess when Tesla originally designed the Model S, it has to make the S extremely streamline shape to reduce the drag coefficient (as the battery wasn't that good back then), ending up making the car so poor for tall drivers? Or am I missing something here, given that quite a few tall drivers saying Model S is great?

Any input is appreciated. I hope that I missed something here ;P

Reactions: mongo
I'm 6'7" and have a penchant for smaller cars. Line of sight has always been an issue and is mostly that I often can't see traffic lights without leaning my head sideways.
I previously had a couple of Mini Coopers and used a product called "Light in Sight," which is basically just a prismatic stick on at the top of your windshield that refracts light from above your sight line.
In my Tesla I usually look at the light color on the FSD visualization.

Reactions: rickyjb
I'm 6'7" and have a penchant for smaller cars. Line of sight has always been an issue and is mostly that I often can't see traffic lights without leaning my head sideways.
I previously had a couple of Mini Coopers and used a product called "Light in Sight," which is basically just a prismatic stick on at the top of your windshield that refracts light from above your sight line.
In my Tesla I usually look at the light color on the FSD visualization.

Thanks for the input. The light-in-sight definitely helps with seeing the traffic lights, but I think it overall sucks when my eyes are right at the line where windshield meets the roof. It's a shame that smaller car (Tesla Model 3, BMW 3 and Mercedes C) have better vision line height and vertical space for the driver than Model S.

I'm curious, in your Tesla, does tilting the driver's seat (making the front higher and the back lower) helps? I'm "only" 6'4, so even with a long torso I should fit in a Model S if someone 6'7 like yourself can fit.

It’s not about your overall height, it’s your torso height. If the seat is at its lowest position and your head is still higher than you like, there’s not much you can do other than consider a different car. You’re not missing anything.
Yeah, I may have a relatively long torso but I heard guys like 6'6, 6'7 and 6'8 can fit in a Tesla Model S fine. I think it might has something to do with how they tilt the driver's seat or something else.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
This is how it goes with a low roof line and steeply raked windshield. I’m 6’5” and deal with it, but if this is something that really bothers you you need to find a more traditional sedan with a taller roof and less rake.

Thanks for the input. The light-in-sight definitely helps with seeing the traffic lights, but I think it overall sucks when my eyes are right at the line where windshield meets the roof. It's a shame that smaller car (Tesla Model 3, BMW 3 and Mercedes C) have better vision line height and vertical space for the driver than Model S.

I'm curious, in your Tesla, does tilting the driver's seat (making the front higher and the back lower) helps? I'm "only" 6'4, so even with a long torso I should fit in a Model S if someone 6'7 like yourself can fit.
Tilting the seat base helps but more for thigh support than allowing more visibility.

Yeah, I may have a relatively long torso but I heard guys like 6'6, 6'7 and 6'8 can fit in a Tesla Model S fine. I think it might has something to do with how they tilt the driver's seat or something else.
This is my experience as well. I am 6'3" and in the "normal" seat position I definitely have challenges seeing stop lights that are overhead. Leaning the seat back at a decent angle certainly helps and it isn't that awkward once you get used to it. I imagine it is a bit more difficult as you get much taller in height but I also feel like that would be a challenge in most non-SUV type vehicles.

I'm 6'1" and had to raise the head rest all the way up or the bottom was hitting me right in between the shoulder blades. I find the side bolstering a little to aggressive for me and I get a pain on the right side sometimes on my way home. The gap between the drivers seat and the center console is so close I can't get my fingers in between but the gap on the passenger seat and center console I can get my whole hand in between anyone else have this? I thought maybe the drivers right side is putting pressure because it's so close to the center console.

• Informative
Reactions: Nickos
FYI sold the MS and got the 2022 M3LR. Much improved visibility, I can correctly estimate corners, almost looks like one of those cartoon cars, when seated people looking from front can see your entire chest. No more scraping driveways and maneuvering tight spots, tons of fun, still friggin' huge A pillar.

Reactions: OilSucks
FYI sold the MS and got the 2022 M3LR. Much improved visibility, I can correctly estimate corners, almost looks like one of those cartoon cars, when seated people looking from front can see your entire chest. No more scraping driveways and maneuvering tight spots, tons of fun, still friggin' huge A pillar.

Yeah, the Model 3 has much better visibility. Lower and shorter hood and dash. Better approach and departure angles too.

I'm 5'10" and find the lowest seat position to still be too high. Not enough for me to get rid of the car, but it creates some frustrating issues on my daily commute that sees me driving into the sun in the mornings and on my commute home in the evenings. There are times when I have to decide whether I'm going to use the sun visors and not be able to see much beyond the rear tire contact of the car in front of me, or deal with the glare as best my sunglasses can and not use the visor. After about a month with the car I wondered how anyone more than 6' tall could live with the seating position...

Reactions: OilSucks
I'm 5'10" and find the lowest seat position to still be too high. Not enough for me to get rid of the car, but it creates some frustrating issues on my daily commute that sees me driving into the sun in the mornings and on my commute home in the evenings. There are times when I have to decide whether I'm going to use the sun visors and not be able to see much beyond the rear tire contact of the car in front of me, or deal with the glare as best my sunglasses can and not use the visor. After about a month with the car I wondered how anyone more than 6' tall could live with the seating position...
That's surprising. I'm 5'9" and have no issues.
Now, try driving the original Roadster. You could not see traffic lights if you were the first car. 😅