Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S very poor "Vision Line Height" for Tall Drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched a guy get into the original roadster years ago when they were still being sold. Dude had to be over 6' and looked like he was going into the fetal to get into that thing. My father-in-law has a Model X and would agree - visibility and seat position work better there, but I simply do not need/want the size of that thing, plus the inevitable money pit that I think his rear doors will become down the road. I keep my cars on average 6-10 years and I'm not sure his doors last that long before a major repair. He's already had several warranty visits on that issue already. I'm coming from an Audi S6 and I could lower that seat really low. I would guess the MSP gives me half that range, to include how far forward I can tilt the seat!

I unfortunately agree.. What's terrible is that the pre Refresh Model S's were MUCH better as far as this problem is concerned. I had a 2018 Model S loaner when my 2022 was in the shop and I felt like I could breathe better lol

The roof line is so low it makes me feel like I'm wearing a really long brimmed hat... I'm actually starting to prefer my Model Y over my Model S because it's just more comfortable for me. What a first world problem to have...

I'm 5'10" and find the lowest seat position to still be too high. Not enough for me to get rid of the car, but it creates some frustrating issues on my daily commute that sees me driving into the sun in the mornings and on my commute home in the evenings. There are times when I have to decide whether I'm going to use the sun visors and not be able to see much beyond the rear tire contact of the car in front of me, or deal with the glare as best my sunglasses can and not use the visor. After about a month with the car I wondered how anyone more than 6' tall could live with the seating position...
I have the same issue with my 2022 Model S. When using the sun visor, I can’t tilt the visor far enough forward to maximize visibility out the front windshield. It acts almost like a wall pointing downward instead of angling parallel with the angle of the windshield. This was not an issue with my 2019 S, at all. It really is a step backwards, design-wise. My son is 5’11 and noticed this issue immediately when he tried out the car last week.

Unfortunately the seat height is very different in the Refreshed Model S vs. the older Model S. I think they put the front seats on risers to help with rear passenger foot space.
I have a related issue with my 2022 Model S. When using the sun visor, I can’t tilt the visor far enough forward to maximize visibility out the front windshield. It acts almost like a wall pointing downward instead of angling parallel with the angle of the windshield. This was not an issue with my 2019 S, at all. It really is a step backwards, design-wise. My son is 5’11 and noticed this issue immediately when he tried out the car last week.