Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think those extending handles are getting a bit too much attention.
Seems like a potentially temperamental gimmick of sorts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think those extending handles are getting a bit too much attention.
Seems like a potentially temperamental gimmick of sorts.

That and the screen kind of screams gimmick (the handle I think is worse though, since it doesn't provide much in functionality and I don't think it'll save much drag, while the huge screen can potentially provide a lot of functionality since it is customizable).

It'll help if they make it so you can properly latch the door even if the handles are retracted or not allow them to retract until the door is closed (I've seen even Elon stumble with closing the door because when closing the door after the handle is retracted, the door doesn't latch properly). It's mainly a gimmick to show off though.

Gimmic - yes. But Elon said several times in many of the videos that the handles were not final. He said that the final ones will pop out when you approach the car and I asume they will retract when you start it. Perhap they might retract at like 5 mph. The doors on my truck automatically lock at 5 mph.

Almost nothing about this car is final. There is a few years of development still to be done before #1 is delivered to that Steve or Peter or what is he. They've shown the general design and ideas they would like to come through with but those are subject to change. Elon himself said the car still needs much of refinement.

I wouldn't worry for some "rough edges" for now. It's a pure EV, design is fantastic, they are proving their intent to deliver this car. Enough for me for now.

I too was quite surprised about the door handles mechanically moving away from the body as you approach the car. It's a neat feature but why bother with the development costs and weight among other things. I highly doubt it will make it to production especially when taking into account FMVSS and other safety requirements.

Having flush door handles is a great idea though. I'm not sure how much of a benefit they would have over regular door handles with respect to wind resistance but every little bit helps I guess. If this design feature does remain, I'm betting that it will be similar to what is on Aston Martins where it's a flat metal piece that extends away from the body when you push it from one side.

Seems like Tesla could save a lot of mechanical headaches by adopting the things seen in the video.

Though a "pad" switch might be a better place for fingerprints. Maybe touch the mirror lite strip

.http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they're trying to get away without having the emergency opening thingy the Roadster has for when the battery is really, truly run down?

Even then, I'd go with touch as the default, then the override would be to push hard to click "out" the handle, like a stereo cabinet door or ballpoint pen. It would have to be "clicked" back in manually, but it would elide what promises to be some goofy timing issues.

I'm wondering if they're trying to get away without having the emergency opening thingy the Roadster has for when the battery is really, truly run down?

Even then, I'd go with touch as the default, then the override would be to push hard to click "out" the handle, like a stereo cabinet door or ballpoint pen. It would have to be "clicked" back in manually, but it would elide what promises to be some goofy timing issues.

First thought is about loosing some fingers but my car will not crush my arm in autowindowclose so they surely have that figured out.