TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Voice Control

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Todd Burch, May 22, 2012.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I started this thread because in my search I didn't find one specifically devoted to Model S's voice control (aside from speculation regarding Siri, etc.)

So let's put all voice control related info here.

First question:

We've all assumed the Model S has voice control...but I don't think I've seen it mentioned officially anywhere by Tesla. Not on the specs page, not on the features page. Nobody's tested it or seen it demoed, that I've seen.

I'm thinking the Model S doesn't have voice control. Anyone have confirmation that it does?

2. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

It has voice control as least for the audio system:

Revealing Model S Beta | Blog | Tesla Motors

excerpt:
    "Tesla recently unveiled the Model S Beta and opened the Tesla Factory to about 3,000 reservation holders and guests. Closely approximating the fit, finish and performance of the production Model S coming out next year, the Betas showed off the vehicle’s special features, from the 17” touchscreen to the massive panoramic roof to the voice-command audio system and more. "

3. onlinespending

You didn't look hard enough :) Right there in that Siri thread that you mentioned, I posted a link.

Here's Elon using some voice commands, about 2:30 into this video. He says "play Rolling Stones". He makes it sound as if they're using Google's voice recognition API.

But I will say that I hope they offer extensive voice control, whether it's making phone calls, controlling the suspension, or opening up your garage door (via HomeLink)

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Thanks for that, I'd actually forgotten seeing it myself since they so rarely show it. I hope car functions aren't dependent on internet access and don't require me to select something on screen after I've already said what I wanted. Also noticed you need to push a button -- the car isn't always listening (which would have been kinda cool, but probably very problematic)

5. santana338

santana338 Member

My Honda has voice control. You activate the "listen" part by pulling a paddle on the steering column. I played with it a bit when the van was new, but with all the ambient noise (kids, etc) it only worked about 10% of the time. I'm hoping Tesla has improved this and made it much more useable. It's a great idea, but with most things, the details are what kill you.

6. Todd Burch

Ah thanks guys. As much as a creepy freak I am on this site (spending time every day here), I can't believe I missed and/or forgot about that!

Edit: UGH. I can definitely tell I'm getting old...I passed my 32.5 birthday in March...and it shows! ;) I've watched that October rollout video with Elon probably 5 times.

Maybe I just should've had more for breakfast...

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

My mom had a Lincoln Navigator for a short while. It had 'voice control' navigation system. You pressed a button on the steering wheel and then it chimed, then you said what you wanted. It always responded "Showing points of higher education" and then chugged for about 1 minute before it would register the cancel button.

This was in 2003 or so. So nothing recent. But whenever anyone in my family tries to use 'voice control' at least one of us will respond "Showing points of higher education."

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The voice control in my Infiniti G37 works surprisingly well. I generally only use it on long trips, but it's always worked well for me.

9. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Voice control in my GM, especially using Onstar, is very good. I noticed that they have about 5 mikes in the car, including for the rear passengers!

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

11. Tommy

Tommy Member

Should have slept at a Holiday Inn.:wink::biggrin:

12. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

It would make a mighty fine app project to port that to the Tesla!

13. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

I confirmed at the Toronto event that it is indeed based on Google's voice recognition software; it isn't yet finalized (or at least public) exactly what voice control will all do, whether it is a list of commands (like most/all car voice commands) or whether it is more like Siri. I'm thinking for now at least it will be the list. I never asked, but along with the "customizable" trend they're going for I'm hoping the responding voice will be customizable - I hate the voice in my 2012 Explorer.

14. It looks like voice control will not be available at launch but vehicles will be updated later:

Wolverton: Tesla's Model S is fast and fun - SiliconValley.com

15. Todd Burch

Has anyone (particularly those of you with early deliveries) heard anything about voice control? Is it coming in a software update soon? I'm beginning to wonder if it's been scrapped.

16. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

At delivery I was told it is coming.

17. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

The Model S would be an ideal candidate for voice control because it's so quiet inside. Extraneous noise can be a challenge for voice control systems.

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Right. The Model S is one car where the voice control might actually work. It's pretty much useless in the Prius--unless you frequently set the temperature to 68 degrees. It seems to default to that command.

19. Todd Burch

Latest info from my Tesla rep, received within the last few hours:

20. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Ha! The classic, "it will be ready when it's ready". Did you expect anything less ;) These are software engineers, after all.