Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may sound like a VERY odd comparison. And I suppose it is. I am currently a GC owner and this is my 4th one. I am a HUGE JEEP fan and I have never had a bad truck. The revealed the new GC at the NY auto Show and it seems VERY promising. With all new features including Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warnings and Front accident warning system. In short they have tried to return to GRAND of Grand Cherokee and it looks like they have made all of the right moves in that direction. Look like they have corrected all of the minor complaints I have about the current model (lack of back seat room and lack of adequate advanced safety features, somewhat spartan or plasticy interior etc.....) It seems to have all of the things on my prerequiste list that I have wanted for a new car and will come out about the same time as the Model S. This will be an interesting show down for me to go through. I real clash of my morals and desires. I would love to be more green but I have some practical things to consider too like towing my boat and getting through the snow no matter how deep. For my job I am considered "essential personnel" so I MUST go to work ESPECIALLY when the weather is bad. Model S lacking AWD will be a big down fall for me but I can not afford to have 2 vehicles. Also has the big panaramic glass roof and probably cost less than the Model S and a larger screen in the front - but not 17". I really have to say that this is a VERY unexpected choice. I had not expected Jeep to step up to my current demands and it looks like they may have done it. More cargo room and all.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - full details

This would be coming out probably a whole year before the Model S. The Model S isn't supposed to be released until 2011. With "normal" cars, they release the next model year normally around the summer/fall of the year before (i.e. 2011 MY gets released Summer/Fall 2010). On top of that the article you linked to says in the first paragraph the Grand Cherokee is due for launch Spring 2010, a whole year before the Model S. Just pointing that out.

-Shark2k

yeah but 1 year or a few months is not a big deal. The car I have is fine.

But the first "year" of production is going to be Signature Series and Founder's Series(?) if I recall correctly. That means it wouldn't be until 2012 when the regular Model S' come out. Also, considering the car is being built from scratch and will have more programming than any other car you might buy, it would be wise to probably wait a year or two to give them time to work out the bugs. I agree with what VFX said. Lease the Grand Cherokee until the Model S really comes out.

-Shark2k

I say "give it time". Keep track of exactly how often you would truely "NEED" the 4WD & cargo space of the Cherokee vs the usual space and capability of a sedan.

In the 5 1/2 years I've had my Prius with it's lousy traction control and barely 4" underbody clearance I've only had 2 occasions that I had to use our Highlander Hybrid to get to work or elsewhere. There have been many times that the HiHy was more convenient, but the Prius would have been a capable if less desirable second choice.

Considering the trade-offs I'd go for the Tesla in a heart beat b/w those two. A little more planning ahead might be necessary, but I'll make it work. I grant that there are certainly people who must have 4WD anc higher cargo capacity...but if the Tesla was under consideration I suspect you're not among that number.

Do the right thing...support Tesla, support EVs, support energy independence, support moderation and self-control...something this country desperately needs more of.

Dave,

Post 666 that is scary !!!! LOL - yeah i planned it that way :rolleyes:

Evan,

Thanks for the pep talk - duly noted. Kind of needed it but actually it made me realize that I have in fact been using the truck part of my SUV quite a bit lately and we are due for a big winter sometime soon we have not had one in a while - actually we are sort of overdue for one.

Leasing has never really appealed to me but it is actually a good thought in this case and I will definately reconsider that. Had not actually crossed my mind. Thanks guys....

Dave,

Post 666 that is scary !!!! LOL - yeah i planned it that way :rolleyes:

Evan,

Thanks for the pep talk - duly noted. Kind of needed it but actually it made me realize that I have in fact been using the truck part of my SUV quite a bit lately and we are due for a big winter sometime soon we have not had one in a while - actually we are sort of overdue for one.

Leasing has never really appealed to me but it is actually a good thought in this case and I will definately reconsider that. Had not actually crossed my mind. Thanks guys....

I do realise the Model S will probably not be able to tow as much as your current Jeep. Not that I see why anyway since diesel electric trains use electric motors for just that reason, but that's a different question. I suppose you can always keep your Jeep around for those times you are towing your boat.
Do you really need the Jeep for the snow? I've got 25 year old Mazda 323 with tiny tires, small engine and not too much ground clearance either. My wintertires are non-spiked and was selected for their crappyness on snow (well strictly speaking they were selected for their excellence in mostly everything but snow at a decent price, but I digress). Still in Oslo this winter we got about 4 inches of snow in about an hour or two, and up pretty steep hills I still managed to get where I wanted. I did drive very calmly and slowly like everyone else, but I hardly slipped even. That's without either ABS or anti-spinn or any other feature like that. I imagine with the Model S huge torque delivered very evenly and anti-spinn to help you even on proper snow with good wintertires you should be good except for those days it's physically significantly higher than your ground clearance, and if you keep your old Jeep it should be able to handle those 2 (?) days nicely?

I must confess I don't know how bad it is where you live, but getting proper winter tires really helps. We do get specially made tires for the Nordic region, and I suppose yo've got the same in Canada in North America.

Cobos

I would think a 3000 lb boat would drain quite a bit of battery !!!! LOL perhaps not ... though I do not tow it all that often and two years from now might not even have it.

My problem is not really the depth of the snow but the area that I work in has many back country roads - some not even paved - and they rarely if ever get plowed at all. Also they can be very hilly and even almost mountainy roads. Of course they are East coast mountains so they are not really mountains - more like foot hills - LOL but steep none the same sometimes. Also, I go to many construction sites before there are any roads there at all or even graded dirt to drive on. But those sites are ones that I can walk into if I have a sedan.