Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs. E63 AMG Mercedes 0-110 mph race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, perhaps when you want to get from stoplight to stoplight quickly, or go drag racing, ok.

But when you want to get along on the Autobahn, the slight acceleration advantage of the S won't get you very far in the long run. So "helps cover distance"? Not really. You might reach your top speed a few seconds quicker, but then all the ICE's (and they don't even have to be of AMG caliber) come blasting past you, so by the time you deplete your batteries, they are miles away, perhaps even at their destination.

Take normal Autobahn speeds here between about 80 and 110 mph. How much range do you get then? Has anyone tried? Perhaps not, since I don't think there are a lot of US states whithout a speed limit. Not sure though if someone has tried it out on a racetrack?

There is that speed vs. range chart for the Model S.
Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors
It says 225 miles on a range charge at 80 mph but that's in ideal circumstances. You're right though, range would be greatly reduced.

There is that speed vs. range chart for the Model S.
Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors
It says 225 miles on a range charge at 80 mph but that's in ideal circumstances. You're right though, range would be greatly reduced.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that up to now.
When I take that chart and lengthen the curve to where it would be at 100 mph, it takes my to roughly 100 miles of range (under ideal conditions).
In other words, driving at normal Autobahn speeds (not ideal but real conditions) would mean you could drive for about 100 to 150 miles before having to recharge. Not a very comfortable thought somehow.

When I take that chart and lengthen the curve to where it would be at 100 mph, it takes my to roughly 100 miles of range (under ideal conditions).
In other words, driving at normal Autobahn speeds (not ideal but real conditions) would mean you could drive for about 100 to 150 miles before having to recharge. Not a very comfortable thought somehow.

If that's the way you really do drive a lot of the time I'd say that a Model S with the current battery tecnhology is not for you. Even if there were superchargers along the autobahn every 100 km it wouldn't make sense t drive very fast between the superchargers and stop at each of them or every other for 30-45 mins while someone driving at say 110 kph would not have to stop but at every third or fourth...

no comment.... :)

The E63 was spinning a bit off the line and the Model S is strong to about 90 MPH which makes it hard for the E63 to catch up, there are more videos from a 20-30 MPH roll, the Model S would still jump an easy car length or more, then the E63 would hold and blow by it...

It is a fact that an ICE can go longer at higher speeds and that will never change.

The more power an ICE has to deliver, the more efficient it becomes. An EV is alwats very efficient and the faster you go, the shorter your range will get.

This will never change. So if you love to fly over the Autobahn at ~180km/h, buy a cool BMW 530d or something.

It is a fact that an ICE can go longer at higher speeds and that will never change.

It will change, just not with today's technology. We have had a hundred years and an enormous amount of resources dedicated to squeezing every ounce of power (and efficiency) out of an ICE platform. While ICE platforms will continue to improve, it is more likely to be incremental, rather than fundamental technology change. The EV platforms may very well have transformational changes in the next 10 years. ICE platforms will likely lose on all fronts range, power, and fueling convenience in the near future.

Well, perhaps when you want to get from stoplight to stoplight quickly, or go drag racing, ok.

But when you want to get along on the Autobahn, the slight acceleration advantage of the S won't get you very far in the long run. So "helps cover distance"? Not really. You might reach your top speed a few seconds quicker, but then all the ICE's (and they don't even have to be of AMG caliber) come blasting past you, so by the time you deplete your batteries, they are miles away, perhaps even at their destination.

Take normal Autobahn speeds here between about 80 and 110 mph. How much range do you get then? Has anyone tried? Perhaps not, since I don't think there are a lot of US states whithout a speed limit. Not sure though if someone has tried it out on a racetrack?

I cruise at 85 on the interstate here in Atlanta. I would expect about 170-180 on a standard charge at those speeds. So about 200-210 on a range charge.

I don't think anyone expects the Model S to be a Autobahn killer type car.

I cruise at 85 on the interstate here in Atlanta. I would expect about 170-180 on a standard charge at those speeds. So about 200-210 on a range charge.

I don't think anyone expects the Model S to be a Autobahn killer type car.

No, it needs a transmission to efficiently operate on an autobahn or to compete effectively at all speeds with an ICE. It might be simpler from a technical standpoint to increase RPM's to increase top speed, but that's never likely good for efficiency.

Of course building a transmission for the S is not easy for a motor that operates at 16,000 RPM's. Tesla's early near death experience with the Roadster was in large part due to failures of their 2 speed transmission. They need a hundred million dollar development effort for a next gen transmission, or else abandon autobahn level performance as a goal.

- - - Updated - - -

no comment.... :)

The E63 was spinning a bit off the line and the Model S is strong to about 90 MPH which makes it hard for the E63 to catch up, there are more videos from a 20-30 MPH roll, the Model S would still jump an easy car length or more, then the E63 would hold and blow by it...

Yes, the E63 has a much more powerful motor and fewer transmission losses (gear shifts) at speed, which allows it to apply much more average torque to the road as speed increases. Do you have a link to the videos? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It will change, just not with today's technology. We have had a hundred years and an enormous amount of resources dedicated to squeezing every ounce of power (and efficiency) out of an ICE platform. While ICE platforms will continue to improve, it is more likely to be incremental, rather than fundamental technology change. The EV platforms may very well have transformational changes in the next 10 years. ICE platforms will likely lose on all fronts range, power, and fueling convenience in the near future.

Agreed.
An ICE is ballpark 30% efficient, and 70% of the energy is lost as heat. The ICE has to waste energy on cooling ( air flowing through a radiator which equals drag ).
An EV is 90% efficient and 10% of the energy is lost as heat.
The EV is at a ~50 to 1 disadvantage in terms of energy density, but only at a ~16.7 to 1 disadvantage in terms of usable energy density.
When you factor in the weight of the whole drivetrain and fuel system it probably drops to less than 10 to 1.
The EV does not need to get to 1:1 usable energy density to win.
Once it gets close the fact that you don't need to push ( nearly as much ) air through radiators will give EVs the advantage and then ICEs will never catch up.