Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Golf R

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Golf R vs 2016 Model S P90D

2018 Golf R with 40,000 kms @ $32,000 CDN

2016 Model S P90D with 6,000 kms @ $84,0000 CDN\

This is a carfor my wife and for me to take clients in every once in a while ( I am a realtor) My other car is a 6cyl supercharged Jaguar F-type. If I get the R, I can track it. If I get the tesla, I will need to get something like a miata to track. After 10 years, which situation will get me financially ahead? Any general thoughts from anyone? I know this sounds like a stupid comparision, but I am truly stuck.

And…….GO!

This is a carfor my wife and for me to take clients in every once in a while ( I am a realtor)
If you use the car for your job, there are a lot of thing that you can deduct from your taxes.
I think there is a ratio between your personal use and business use, but I believe that you can deduct the car lease from your taxes.
If you have to take customers, better getting the Tesla Model S !!!

Reactions: nomis_nehc
If you use the car for your job, there are a lot of thing that you can deduct from your taxes.
I think there is a ratio between your personal use and business use, but I believe that you can deduct the car lease from your taxes.
If you have to take customers, better getting the Tesla Model S !!!

It appears the OP is in Canada and will have different tax breaks than in the US.

For the OP, what kind of track time do you plan on doing and how competitive do you plan to get? My brother-in-law and his wife were in 3 different race leagues from tracking, autoX, and rally racing. They've had 2 Integra Type Rs, F80 M3, various Miatas, various WRXs, and 5th Gen 5.0 Mustang.

You can have fun with just about any car, but I would go with one that is DIY-friendly, has a lot of aftermarket support, and uses a very common tire size because you'll likely go through numerous sets. I have no idea what your budget is but why not just track your F-Type? I was considering a manual F-Type but would rather go with a used V8 Audi R8 if I was spending that kind of money. Believe it or not but my mildly tuned 2001 VW Golf TDI with a Torsen LSD tracks pretty well on short tracks. Acceleration above 80mph is lousy since I have a 12% taller 5th gear set swapped in, but tracks like Buttonwillow with speeds between 25mph-85mph is a blast. I used HPCD or biodiesel during my two visits.

Honestly since getting our Fiat 500e and Model S, our TDI and Duramax just don't get driven much at all.

MS and Miata. That's what I have. :) Z06 will be faster around the track, but track consumables on a Miata are way cheaper (gas, brakes, tires). Miata will also be more fun around the track.

Or take up motorcycles. They are even cheaper to track and far easier to store and transport than even a Miata. Spare parts? How about a spare bike!

Oh boy, old memories, former 2004 R32 owner, the Slovakian beast was a lot of fun.

OP the planet is going bare, do the right thing and give up on dino sauce burners, build a decent cockpit simulator with FF wheel and pedals and VR, you will also get less cancer and emphysema later from all the fumes and burnt tire you inhale at the track. Flamesuit on:eek:

Last edited:
That is a good point on ingress and egress, anyone over 5'9" or so has to bend their neck pretty far to duck their head in.

Not a problem at all for a healthy person in reasonable shape, but if you have someone 6'1" with back problems they are going to be quite slow getting in.

The initial question about comparing those two was laughable, then to ask about money after 10years was completely absurd.

Troll. First post, pretty silly car comparison, has a Jag but worries about getting ahead financially and then says he'll have to buy a Miata to track, apparently doesn't have or track a car now, no one with a brain tracks a car you rely on for work, and no response. Troll smell all over this one.

Reactions: tranzndance