Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Golf R

nomis_nehc

Jul 9, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga
If you use the car for your job, there are a lot of thing that you can deduct from your taxes.
I think there is a ratio between your personal use and business use, but I believe that you can deduct the car lease from your taxes.
If you have to take customers, better getting the Tesla Model S !!!

Right? I don't understand how there's a comparison between Model S vs. Golf especially if have an image to maintain for profession.

john5520

Mar 3, 2020
Florida
I don't think a Golf R is the kind of car that will impress your clients. A model S surely would. Even a Model 3 Performance would be more fitting. To your average client, a Golf R would seem more like a cheap econobox, boy-racer. Just my 2 cents.

Plus, the Model 3 Performance and S would leave a Golf R in the dust.

Reactions: nomis_nehc

IslandHydro

Oct 24, 2018
Washington State
I don't think a Golf R is the kind of car that will impress your clients. A model S surely would. Even a Model 3 Performance would be more fitting. To your average client, a Golf R would seem more like a cheap econobox, boy-racer. Just my 2 cents.

Plus, the Model 3 Performance and S would leave a Golf R in the dust.

Spot on, on all points

Reactions: 2101Guy

bigdave79

Feb 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
It all depends what you really want. I owned a tuned Mk7 GTI before buying my Model S P85D. The S is definitely a more "grown up" look (which is what my wife wanted) if that's what you're going for. It's also ridiculous off the line. And I love not having to queue up at Costco for gas. But... The GTI was definitely more fun to drive esp with it's 6spd box. Handling was so much better and probably cheaper to own considering current gas prices, insurance and how much I drive. If VW ever make an electric hot hatch Golf available in the US I'll definitely consider buying it.

john5520

Mar 3, 2020
Florida
The overwhelming majority buying these cars will never see a track. Any light econobox with a 6-speed and decent handling will be fun to drive. My mazdaspeed 3 was fun-to-drive, but fun can also come in other forms. Straight line performance and instant torque are fun too. The feel of not having a traditional transmission is fun as well. At the end of the day, it really does depend on the individual and what they consider fun. I like them all, but facts are facts. A Golf R will get dusted badly on the street unless it's modified.

And for the use case the OP described, a Golf R just doesn't fit as well as a Tesla. Tesla is more of a premium brand and will have a better first impression in most cases.

maximizese

Jan 16, 2018
California
A Golf R will spank a Model S anywhere where there are curves though.

If you only drive straight then Model S is the answer. It's really not anything like a sports car, it's not even a sporty car, it's just a quick barge.

I don't know if that is true. The Model S P100D was recorded to do the Nuburgring in 7:42, Plaid Model S is said to do it in 7:23. Meanwhile the MK7 Golf R is recorded at 8:14.

Yes, there are lot of plenty of high speed zones, but there are a bunch of corners, combo turns, and several hairpins.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
I can't believe how far this thread has gone :) The OP is clearly a troll, but we just jumped on the thread and debated endlessly how the "Model S performance sucks compared to a Golf on a track"! Too funny. :)

Reactions: GeorgeM

Cheburashka

Jan 29, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
I don't know if that is true. The Model S P100D was recorded to do the Nuburgring in 7:42, Plaid Model S is said to do it in 7:23. Meanwhile the MK7 Golf R is recorded at 8:14.

Yes, there are lot of plenty of high speed zones, but there are a bunch of corners, combo turns, and several hairpins.

Apples and oranges. Only reason the Tesla is faster is because of all the long straight sections. There is basically no way the Tesla can outhandle the Golf.

• Disagree
Reactions: nomis_nehc

maximizese

Jan 16, 2018
California
90% of handling....is the driver.

I've have to agree with this from first hand experience having done a hot lap with a professional racing instructor driving my car...I could not get close to his lap time no matter how much input he gave me. I learned a lot, but finding and maintaining balance at the limit is a tricky thing nevermind the approach and entry angle. Corner-exit is the easiest to do; even easier when you've slowed down too much and are no where near the limit.

Anyways, the driver's skill is just about the biggest variable.

I should say I've never driven a MK7 Golf R, but I done about 2 hours of track time with the MK4 R32 and MK2 TT. Fun cars, but front heavy. 3,400lb with a 63/37 weight distribution and a front-drive bias.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC