Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s vs gtr?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
less chances of GTR breaking down but that is a 13 year old car so it will start needing some cash love if it hasn’t already. If God forbid you have to change the battery pack on the Tesla that is straight up 24k and lots of other electronics that can only be done by Tesla who charges a lot for these repairs I would say would be cheaper to keep GTR.

less chances of GTR breaking down but that is a 13 year old car so it will start needing some cash love if it hasn’t already. If God forbid you have to change the battery pack on the Tesla that is straight up 24k and lots of other electronics that can only be done by Tesla who charges a lot for these repairs I would say would be cheaper to keep GTR.
Less chance of a GTR breaking down? That's a typo, right? Those GTR's (especially the earlier versions) ate (expensive) transmissions like candy. Not to mention the hundreds of moving parts in a high performance application.

OP find yourself a P85D/P90D/P100D and you'll have a much happier ownership experience in just about every measurable way. Source: I've owned all of the above.

Yean i do love my p8
Does the P85 have free unlimited supercharging? If so, the GTR will be more expensive to own long term, even if you have to replace that battery pack on the Tesla at some point.
Yes it does, which is nice. I know it would be more to own in the long run, but i feel like a transition fix can be cheaper if i buy the parts myself and go to a mechanic thats not nissan. Compared to teslas prices for their stuff

Yean i do love my p8

Yes it does, which is nice. I know it would be more to own in the long run, but i feel like a transition fix can be cheaper if i buy the parts myself and go to a mechanic thats not nissan. Compared to teslas prices for their stuff

Anything you can fix yourself will be less expensive than paying the dealer. You can do a lot of work on a Tesla yourself or at an independent shop.

Then again, I've never known anyone who had to buy a new pack, though I know there are people who will supply them, but I also know there are places who sell refurbished battery packs. We are talking "what if..." though there are many issues that can require money. BUT, any electric car costs a whale of a lot less to maintain than any gas car. Fuel is cheap and clean, there is no need for oil changes, valve adjustments, filters, tune ups. The drive system of a gtr is expensive, too. Just because you think there might be a need for a battery down the road is no need to get excited, as you might not need one for years. You might need a set of tires ($1000), too, or a paint job ($6,000). Just drive the car and enjoy it. The pack is guaranteed for 8000 miles, and in my experience that means it will likely last 15000.

But I'm a fanboi. I wouldn't drive a gas car now if I had to.

Reactions: pilotSteve

There is no version of the universe where a GT-R that’s actually driven costs less to maintain than any Tesla.

Reactions: pilotSteve and ngng
Then again, I've never known anyone who had to buy a new pack, though I know there are people who will supply them, but I also know there are places who sell refurbished battery packs. We are talking "what if..." though there are many issues that can require money. BUT, any electric car costs a whale of a lot less to maintain than any gas car. Fuel is cheap and clean, there is no need for oil changes, valve adjustments, filters, tune ups. The drive system of a gtr is expensive, too. Just because you think there might be a need for a battery down the road is no need to get excited, as you might not need one for years. You might need a set of tires ($1000), too, or a paint job ($6,000). Just drive the car and enjoy it. The pack is guaranteed for 8000 miles, and in my experience that means it will likely last 15000.

Wait.... battery packs only last 15,000 miles till you have to get a new battery pack?!?

What?

Less chance of a GTR breaking down? That's a typo, right? Those GTR's (especially the earlier versions) ate (expensive) transmissions like candy. Not to mention the hundreds of moving parts in a high performance application.

I owned two Nissan Sentras. Both developed blown head gaskets/warped heads/catastrophic engine failure right around the 100k mile mark. I'll never purchase or own a high-mileage Nissan again because of it.

Now granted - a complete motor rebuild is probably cheaper than a replacement HV pack but still...

I disagree with this. You are generalizing. Not all Model S are maintenance free, I've had to do a decent amount of maintenance on mine. It certainly cost significantly more to own than my previous Infiniti which I sold at 130k miles. There are plenty of motors and trannies out there that are known to last with just basic oil/filter maintenance.

I've done lots of valve adjustments on motorcycles by generally unless we are talking about some 1970s or earlier car there shouldnt be valve adjustments involved.

Now, the Model S is a lot cheaper to own than "comparable" German stuff like 5/7 series or S class but I feel like they are totally different kind of cars.

I disagree with this. You are generalizing. Not all Model S are maintenance free, I've had to do a decent amount of maintenance on mine. It certainly cost significantly more to own than my previous Infiniti which I sold at 130k miles. There are plenty of motors and trannies out there that are known to last with just basic oil/filter maintenance.

I've done lots of valve adjustments on motorcycles by generally unless we are talking about some 1970s or earlier car there shouldnt be valve adjustments involved.

Now, the Model S is a lot cheaper to own than "comparable" German stuff like 5/7 series or S class but I feel like they are totally different kind of cars.
Your Infinity isn't a GTR. As obvious is that is I felt compelled to say it based on your comparison here.