Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs. ICE idential 600 mile trip experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is one thing I thought was really smart about the rest areas on Florida's turnpike. They are placed in the center so you have one facility for both directions of travel. Not surprised Tesla has been installing SpCs there.

I'm in Chicago right now and flew instead of driving my S because of the same charging (and also parking) concern. Turns out the Service Center in downtown has a 24/7 Supercharger. Had I known that before, I probably would have driven. Depending on where your daughter moves to, you may be able to swing by that location to top off during your stay.

They're actually sort of north-west of Chicago, but may be going fairly close to Highland Park (she works out that way) which would be handy. Right now, as long as I can make my way down to Aurora or Country Club Hills when leaving, I'm okay.

- - - Updated - - -

That is one thing I thought was really smart about the rest areas on Florida's turnpike. They are placed in the center so you have one facility for both directions of travel. Not surprised Tesla has been installing SpCs there.

I always thought that was a great idea. Very close to where I work, they recently tore down and completely re-built 2 rest stops right across the freeway from each other. I think it would have been a lot more effective to tear them down, divert the roadway and then only have to build one new one in the middle. (I used to live in Plantation not far from where the Turnpike goes over Broward Blvd).

There would almost always be a separate rest area on each side of the Interstate with no way to cross between, so a Supercharger would have to be located on each side (2 superchargers).

Yeah, NJ turnpike is like that, and they did install 2 SpC on each side of the rest area. I was surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Delware is like that too. Center placed, you can access it from either side.