TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S vs King size bed

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by David99, Jul 26, 2014.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

Needed to buy a new bed and it had to be king size. IKEA is only a few miles but the mattress is huge and can't be folded. For non US readrers, the size of a king mattress is aprox 197 cm x 206 cm

The boxes fit easily in the Model S but the mattress had to go on top.

king01.jpg king02.jpg

I rolled down the windows to fit two straps through to tie the mattress down. Once I was done I realized that with the straps in place I couldn't open to doors any more. After contemplating and staring for a moment I remembered that the doors don't have a frame around the glass and I could just open to doors! LOL duh!!

Love this car! What I find very interesting about these photos is it shows how massive the car really is. The mattress doesn't look so large any more sitting on the car.

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

3. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Hilarious. The burning question, of course, is what did it do to your range? :eek:

4. David99

David99 Active Member

I drove rather slow (max 25 mph) and after a 5 mile trip it was 550 wh/mile

5. green1

green1 Active Member

I always cringe when I see people do this... at least run a strap from under the bumper somewhere over the top, when you see people driving like this, the leading edge of the mattress is always about 3-4 feet above the roof of the car as the wind picks it up.

When I get a Tesla I'm going to miss the versatility of my current van, but I think I'll probably get a small utility trailer to help with cases like this.

6. snellenr

snellenr Member

Just curious -- did you set the rear liftgate to that height on purpose (to support the mattress), or did that just happen?

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

You have the makings of a good Alaskan.....

8. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

If the cops saw me do that I'd loose my licence. Even if I was going only 25 mph.

9. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

10. green1

green1 Active Member

In North America driving is a right, not a privilege, (ok, not officially, but it's often treated that way) it's very difficult to actually loose your license. We see people doing this with mattresses all the time, it's not safe, but it is common.

On a side note, I have a vehicle that can carry a mattress, but I opted for the free delivery service when I bought my last mattress. It didn't cost extra, and they took my old one away and gave it to charity (A woman's shelter I believe?), so I didn't have to deal with that either.

11. David99

David99 Active Member

It's not closed because I have the long boxes in the back that are sticking out a little. I just pulled it down and it stayed that way.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Ah yes, we have a foam mattress and it came in a (heavy) box and gradually decompressed when we opened it up.

This year we had some remodeling done and moved our bedroom upstairs and had to get our (regular) king mattress upstairs. Unfortunately, the ceiling above the stairs isn't high enough to allow a king mattress up easily. (We'd previously failed miserably to get our sprung king mattress up there.) But after a great deal of effort with my wife pushing and me pulling we made it. I was glad the material on the outside of the mattress was strong because had it ripped we'd have had a problem.

Really, if you could drive the mattress home at 25mph, wouldn't a $50 U-Haul rental have been less trouble?

13. mellington

mellington Member

I don't think there's the possibility to fit a towing bracket.

14. green1

green1 Active Member

Several people have done so. Do a search in other threads for trailer hitch. It's not an official Tesla accessory, but it does exist and would be perfect for light loads (I wouldn't try to tow anything heavy though)

15. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

I hope you wore a jacket and chauffeur's cap as you were driving it home.
    --