Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Model X for road trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having second thoughts on my Model S plaid order and considering a Model X plaid instead. Right now I’m like 60/40 (S/X).

I like to travel cross country IL - CA a couple times per year. Ive done it in my Model Y and it felt decent.
Things I dislike about my Y for long road trips:

- Model Y performance feels a bit too slow now that I’m used to it

For people that have driven both the S and the X extensively and go on 2 person road trips, which do you prefer the most and why?

At 3.6 0-60 for the model y performance, I assume you are only considering Plaid X/S, correct?

On a separate note: You might be the first person I've ever heard call any of the Performance Teslas, "slow". :D

At 3.6 0-60 for the model y performance, I assume you are only considering Plaid X/S, correct?

On a separate note: You might be the first person I've ever heard call any of the Performance Teslas, "slow". :D

Yep, only considering Plaid.

Haha, yeah I found the acceleration pretty exciting at the beginning but after a few weeks it just felt normal sadly. Also the 50 - 90mph acceleration is a little lackluster IMO. I don't think that'll happen with the Plaid S/X since the G force is supposed to be pretty gnarly and I don't think I could get used to that kind of acceleration! :D

Reactions: 2101Guy
Road trips, I'd consider the LR X if possible and still speedy enough for ya, longest range wheel option, etc. The X is horribly inefficient on road trips I recall, always getting a large % under estimated range even in good circumstances. Add in some cold, wind, rain, elevation, etc. and I we had some extra SCs had to stop at as well as some good anxiety at times where had to reduce speeds...