Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

Long time reader but first time poster. So I've decided to finally join the Tesla family but am torn between the Model S or Model X. I have test driven both and S seems more smooth to drive. The thing with X is that I love the front windshield but for passengers in the back is a bit dark. The S has the full rear sunroof which helps a bit. Any opinions from you guys is much appreciated. Was thinking about the X before the price drop last week and now am wondering if the extra $10k for the X is worth it or not. Thanks is advance!

So that last post was nonsensical.
The S does not have a sunroof.
I think at $10k, unless you need the better 3rd row (which makes it a lot more than $10k) or the space, the S is the better option.
I suppose some people like the ride height of the X (not me) or the fancy doors. But you didn't mention either of those things .... And really I don't think too many people like the looks...

As far as "smooth to drive", you may have to elaborate on that. Did the X have 22 inch rims? A lot of "smoothness" might be the tires which might not be relevant to the car you actually get.

I had two S and now have X ...it’s a personal choice ...the S definitely looks better .. range is also better ..for me I like the ride height of the X and always preferred cross over / SUV type vehicles ..I had 21s on S and 22s on X they both felt same to me in terms of ride..I haven’t driven new raven suspension vehicle and that may ride smoother though

X: You can put a larger object inside the X, and it has a hitch included. Your Point Of View is higher when driving which is better when driving in traffic. Ingress and egress is easier. And of course, the Falcon Wing doors never fail to impress people.

S: Feels much quicker and is quicker. Less body roll in the slaloms. It's one of the best looking cars sold this century. Better efficiency and range. Has a hatchback for large objects. Costs more than $10k less.

...but for passengers in the back is a bit dark. The S has the full rear sunroof which helps a bit...

My passengers and I are fine with both Model S and Model X ceiling glass. Plenty of light.

...thinking about the X before the price drop last week and now am wondering if the extra $10k for the X is worth it or not...

That depends on how much do you want Model X features:

1) I love the convenience of Falcon Wing Doors
2) I love the automatic Driver Door especially when my hands are all occupied (It's just like an invisible valet who open the doors for me).
3) I love the roominess and huge cargo space and towing. They make it much more useful for me...

Reactions: P85_DA and msm859
2) I love the automatic Driver Door especially when my hands are all occupied (It's just like an invisible valet who open the doors for me).

Yet for some bizarre reason they didn't put a gesture operated rear hatch in it. The 2020 Model X is the most expensive SUV sold without a foot-gesture feature. I cannot understand why they failed to put it in. Cost? <$10 plus programming costs. That's why all the automakers are doing it, it's a very cheap 'luxury' feature.

Reactions: msm859
Mostly depends on how many people you’re regularly lugging around.

I’ve had an S for almost 3 years and will switch to X when lease is up to accommodate a growing family.

S is a sporty luxury sedan that we used as a daily driver commuter, and for date nights. Whenever we wanted to take the whole crew (3 kids) out for a trip, nobody wanted to ride in the S.

X will be a fast, efficient 6-seater luxury people hauler, and will definitely be more comfortable. But it still doesn’t have enough room for a giant amount of stuff, which is why we still have a minivan in the garage.

I can already tell I will miss the fun to drive factor of the S. The X feels HEAVY.

Depends on your lifestyle (like said above). My family is an outdoor fam. We love biking and going out to trails/parks. Especially this year, since youngest can bike on his own and macro we are in. I had a 2017 Model S (orig owner). Put a hitch mount on it start of the year. That opened the door to some fam outdoor activities. We had 2 take the 2 kids bike in the trunk by dismantling front wheels. Upgraded to X in Sep. Wow this is the car for us. Pros:
* Can take entire fam + 4 bikes + 1 dog to places and still have place for luggage.
* Super easy to secure seat belts (with child seats) for kids
* Can also take neighborhood kids with us (if needed) since we got 7 seater.
* Increased range vs S. 371 vs 250
* Also thinking about buying a camper/trailer since X has towing upto 5000lb.
* I can also tow my boat if needed. Currently housed in marina and restricted to 1 lake. Unlikely I will do this w/ X (CT will be better for this).
* More cabin space in 2nd row. 5th person between child seats can sit comfortably instead of squeezing in.
* I don't have the urge to gun it at the lights like I used to the S (both pro and con :D )

Cons:
* S leads the sexiness in the pack. It was a damn good looking car to me.
* I have driven tons of sports cars and m-bilkes. Compared to the X, I like the sporty drive of the S. But of course lot of bulk when compared to something like 3.

All in all love the decision of going w/ the X. Looks like it was the right car for my family. Also with the wrap I put on the X heads turn when I take her out.

PXL_20201023_154459884.jpg

Reactions: COS Blue
We own both an S and X and love both cars.

The primary advantage of the S is longer range. It seats 5 and holds a surprising amount of cargo (especially with the rear seat down). The S rides lower - closer to a sports car feel than the X.

The X seats up to 7, holds more storage (with middle/back row seats down), and rides higher (which some prefer). The FWD makes access to the middle row easier. The X can tow lightweight trailers (less than 5K lbs). The primary disadvantage is less range than the S.

If the longer range of the S isn't needed, the X provides the greatest flexibility for passengers, cargo and towing.

Might not matter to you but I think you can't put a roof rack on the X. Hitch rack can make up for this in most cases, but we have friends who put their skis on a hitch mount and they hate it -- road sand etc. gets kicked onto the skis. I've also had the experience of driving over muddy roads to a trailhead with mountain bikes on a hitch mount, and the bikes got caked in mud -- spent a whole bunch of time getting mud out of the drivetrain and brakes, and got very messy in the process.

I have periodic need to carry something that requires a certain vertical clearance. I can just barely fit it with some maneuvering into my Model S, whose cargo opening has a vertical clearance of 29 inches in the center. I surmised that it would be easier to carry in a Model X.

However,when I measured the vertical clearance of the cargo openings of the Model X, I was astounded to discover that it has a central vertical clearance of only 28 inches—a full inch less than the Model S!!

• Informative
Depends on your lifestyle (like said above). My family is an outdoor fam. We love biking and going out to trails/parks. Especially this year, since youngest can bike on his own and macro we are in. I had a 2017 Model S (orig owner). Put a hitch mount on it start of the year. That opened the door to some fam outdoor activities. We had 2 take the 2 kids bike in the trunk by dismantling front wheels. Upgraded to X in Sep. Wow this is the car for us. Pros:
* Can take entire fam + 4 bikes + 1 dog to places and still have place for luggage.
* Super easy to secure seat belts (with child seats) for kids
* Can also take neighborhood kids with us (if needed) since we got 7 seater.
* Increased range vs S. 371 vs 250
* Also thinking about buying a camper/trailer since X has towing upto 5000lb.
* I can also tow my boat if needed. Currently housed in marina and restricted to 1 lake. Unlikely I will do this w/ X (CT will be better for this).
* More cabin space in 2nd row. 5th person between child seats can sit comfortably instead of squeezing in.
* I don't have the urge to gun it at the lights like I used to the S (both pro and con :D )

Cons:
* S leads the sexiness in the pack. It was a damn good looking car to me.
* I have driven tons of sports cars and m-bilkes. Compared to the X, I like the sporty drive of the S. But of course lot of bulk when compared to something like 3.

All in all love the decision of going w/ the X. Looks like it was the right car for my family. Also with the wrap I put on the X heads turn when I take her out.

View attachment 604999
What in tarnation! I hope you at least have the black 22s on there.

thanks all! i've ordered the MS now just waiting for delivery/VIN confirmation!
ahaha, reading all the answers I thought you would get the X.

I was also debated which to order, but I got the S (and I drive SUV since 20 years now, the last a Porsche Cayenne), but I am curious how it is to go from a high SUV view to a sedan view..

My choice was the S because of range (yeah still in the phase of getting my first EV and have range fears, I got a Long Range with 19 inch, the longest range available today from tesla) and estetics, the X is not my best favourite

p.s. actually the final choice was between a Taycan and the S: again range and tesla more exerienced in EV made the difference (well also 50k Euro difference had its impact)

Last edited:
ahaha, reading all the answers I thought you would get the X.

I was also debated which to order, but I got the S (and I drive SUV since 20 years now, the last a Porsche Cayenne), but I am curious how it is to go from a high SUV view to a sedan view..

My choice was the S because of range (yeah still in the phase of getting my first EV and have range fears, I got a Long Range with 19 inch, the longest range available today from tesla) and estetics, the X is not my best favourite

p.s. actually the final choice was between a Taycan and the S: again range and tesla more exerienced in EV made the difference (well also 50k Euro difference had its impact)
Haha yea the price drop was what really got me plus the interior for the passengers we weren't a big fan of. We thought for the passengers it was a bit too dark