Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good post. I am debating about replacing my MS LR 2022 with MX LR 2022.
I am single and have no kids now and have never towed in my life. I am a small person, so getting in/out MS does not cause any problem to me. What MX attracts me are its automatic doors, falcon wing doors, giant windshield, and higher sitting position. Moreover, the larger room may be useful when I have a family in the future. It sounds like MS -> MX is a pure upgrade if money is not an issue.
I may lose about 30K (tax for MS + price hike) for this replacement so do not know whether it is worthy to do.

I am single and have no kids now and have never towed in my life. I am a small person, so getting in/out MS does not cause any problem to me. What MX attracts me are its automatic doors, falcon wing doors, giant windshield, and higher sitting position. Moreover, the larger room may be useful when I have a family in the future. It sounds like MS -> MX is a pure upgrade if money is not an issue.
I may lose about 30K (tax for MS + price hike) for this replacement so do not know whether it is worthy to do.
For what its worth, I am considering doing the opposite. If I hadn’t ordered my X back in Jan 2021 when the price was significantly lower than today I would have not taken delivery. I honestly have never had such a strong love/hate relationship with a car for many reasons I just sum the overall experience up as the X overcomplicates many things that make me worry about it long term. I am also more of a “sedan guy” than an “SUV guy” so you could argue this was always going to be a fundamental problem. I REALLY want to love my X I just don’t. I haven’t decided either way yet, just working through the delivery (and post-delivery issues) and then will make a decision. I am sure I am in the minority for this mindset and thats fine with me, just thought I would share nonetheless.

One of actuators on my MX broke within a week of delivery and the Tesla tech replacing it told me that the actuators getting broken isn't all that uncommon. You think you like the automatic doors and falcon wing doors....and don't get me wrong they are very cool.... but they're uncommon and fragile so you'll have to constantly make sure passengers and other people with access to your car don't do something stupid with them.

Also you're giving up about 12% of range. Not huge but not insignificant... there have been plenty of times when I wish I had 12% more range.

Personally if I were you I'd just keep the MS.

For what its worth, I am considering doing the opposite. If I hadn’t ordered my X back in Jan 2021 when the price was significantly lower than today I would have not taken delivery. I honestly have never had such a strong love/hate relationship with a car for many reasons I just sum the overall experience up as the X overcomplicates many things that make me worry about it long term. I am also more of a “sedan guy” than an “SUV guy” so you could argue this was always going to be a fundamental problem. I REALLY want to love my X I just don’t. I haven’t decided either way yet, just working through the delivery (and post-delivery issues) and then will make a decision. I am sure I am in the minority for this mindset and thats fine with me, just thought I would share nonetheless.
Thanks for sharing. What do you mean by "X overcomplicated many things"? I have never owned an SUV and thought I will like it but not quite sure.

One of actuators on my MX broke within a week of delivery and the Tesla tech replacing it told me that the actuators getting broken isn't all that uncommon. You think you like the automatic doors and falcon wing doors....and don't get me wrong they are very cool.... but they're uncommon and fragile so you'll have to constantly make sure passengers and other people with access to your car don't do something stupid with them.

Also you're giving up about 12% of range. Not huge but not insignificant... there have been plenty of times when I wish I had 12% more range.

Personally if I were you I'd just keep the MS.

Thanks for sharing. I think if anything breaks, it will be covered by the warranty, so it does not matter that much, right?
I went with S instead of X because this is my first EV and I was worried about the range. However, after owning my S for a few months, I found that 350 miles of X LR are already more than enough. Don't know under what circumstance the extra 50 miles S provides will matter.
Moreover, I wonder whether anyone can feel the 0.7s difference in 0-60mph if you don't race it.

Please don't get me wrong. S is a fantastic car. I just want to prevent the case that I choose to go for X and realize my understanding of X is wrong and would like to switch back to S. I believe the 10K difference in price is not the main reason people go for S instead of X, and it should be something important I don't know or overlooked.

I currently have an 22 S and have an X due to be delivered in the next couple months. I'm really wrestling with what to do. I got the S thinking I'd only keep it for 6-12 months until the X came and then flip it for the X. But I really like my S so while I'd prefer the easier entry of the X, I'm now unsure if I want to get the X.

But my X order is priced at pre price increases so it's like $30K less than if ordered now. Hard to pass on a good deal

I've got 3 kids aged 10-12 and have a minivan so the X was still just to be my car but something we could all jump into instead of the van if wanted.

I had a 3 and then a Y and both had ok pickup but when I got the S I really liked the pickup & speed and the thought of going back to a Y type ride would feel like a disappointment.

But the X has really cool tech.

As you can see I'm quite torn on which way to go.

I currently have an 22 S and have an X due to be delivered in the next couple months. I'm really wrestling with what to do. I got the S thinking I'd only keep it for 6-12 months until the X came and then flip it for the X. But I really like my S so while I'd prefer the easier entry of the X, I'm now unsure if I want to get the X.

But my X order is priced at pre price increases so it's like $30K less than if ordered now. Hard to pass on a good deal

I've got 3 kids aged 10-12 and have a minivan so the X was still just to be my car but something we could all jump into instead of the van if wanted.

I had a 3 and then a Y and both had ok pickup but when I got the S I really liked the pickup & speed and the thought of going back to a Y type ride would feel like a disappointment.

But the X has really cool tech.

As you can see I'm quite torn on which way to go.

Yeah, accept delvery, enjoy it with your friends and family, and then decide. Reselling prices are so good you will win win any way you go.

Reactions: Akikiki