Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs. road median. Road median wins. What to do with damaged wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wifey took the S out for a drive today, hit a road median, blew out two tires and damaged two wheels. $1300 later, all is fixed. Somehow and by some miracle, the only things damaged were the tires and the wheels. Apparently the car didn't even need an alignment.

However, I have these two damaged wheels sitting here at home. The Tesla mechanic told me that I could have continued to use them as they are only "slightly" out of round and could have been balanced to roll smooth, but I chose not to take that path and bought new wheels. Anyway, I have these two wheels. What can I do with them? Do they have any market value, even if it is just for scrap? Are these aluminum wheels repairable?

P.S. Tesla service was EXCELLENT. They towed my car for free to their service center, even after I told them the damage was our fault. Tow truck showed up in about an hour and called my cell phone twice to let me know where they were on the way to my house, and then called me when my car arrived at the service center. Tow truck driver knew exactly how to tow a Tesla. The service center people had my car repaired in just a few hours.

But are these wheels repairable? I assume lightweight aluminum wheels like these are gone once they are damaged?

Depends on the extent of the damage. They (a wheel shop, not Tesla) can do some amazing amount of repair. But hence my suggestion as winter wheels. If they cannot get it perfect, they can probably get it to where it would be find for rutted, snow-covered roads.

But are these wheels repairable? I assume lightweight aluminum wheels like these are gone once they are damaged?

I'm not sure. There is a local repair shop that claims they can fix pretty much anything. I imagine a straightener would work on pretty much any rim. Although, the Tesla rims are specifically designed to handle the weight of a Tesla which is a great deal more than most vehicles.

Just to update before this thread disappears into the 1000's of others.........

I took the wheels to a company called Alloy Wheel Repair in Barrington, IL. Very nice guy. Looks like a two or three man operation. He put the wheels on his machine for free and took a look at them. Apparently (and surprisingly) they're perfectly round and the only problem with them is the scuff left by the curb. He wanted just under $200 to fix the scuffs on both wheels. I might keep one and sell the other and let the new owner repair them if he/she wants.

Anyway, I don't have any relationship with the company, but if you need your wheels repaired and you live in the Chicago suburbs, I'd give the guy a try. Nice people there.