Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs. Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized today that there's one thing the Roadster does (is) much better: it's open! Since moving to SoCal I've been addicted to convertibles, and the panoramic roof just isn't sufficient, even when it's open.
Coming soon to a dealer near you: the cabriolet-S! Do we see a trade-in in your future?

I acquired my Roadster via their "lease until you buy a Model S" program. I started off really enjoying the R, and thought I may find it hard to give it up. I was considering keeping both, but ultimately I decided to trade it back in. This thread leads me to believe I made the right choice.

The Roadster excels at pure fun, but it fails at many of the other important duties of a car. I really enjoyed driving it with the top down, but you can't take a call in the car like that. Even with the top up, there was so much wind noise that I could barely hear my phone or the stereo (unless it was turned up very loud). I am actually concerned for my hearing, because the volume needed to hear the radio at highway speeds is painful when I slow down (off the highway). For a silent engine, I am disappointed at just how loud that car is. The R also fails with its A/C. Here in Houston, we can only drive with the top down between Oct to March... and the summer is uncomfortable. When the temp reaches 100F (which it does daily from June to Aug), the A/C gets diverted to the battery making the passengers uncomfortable. The Model S fixes that issue with the second A/C unit. All the rest of my complaints with the R are with the fact the the R is a sports car... so they aren't "real" complaints, just an observation that a sports car is not practical for when you need a different class of car... like a sedan. If I kept the R, I'd probably drive it 7 days out of the year. So, those 7 days, I'll deeply miss the R, but the Model S will be much more practical for me.

When I called to ask how I turn in my R for the end of lease, they said, "Hmmm, no one else has done that, I'll have to check that for you."

I really enjoyed driving it with the top down, but you can't take a call in the car like that. Even with the top up, there was so much wind noise that I could barely hear my phone or the stereo (unless it was turned up very loud). I am actually concerned for my hearing, because the volume needed to hear the radio at highway speeds is painful when I slow down (off the highway).
Had the same problem until I went this route:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Blue...819620?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item27c89346a4
Now I got my geek on and can hear better with this and am more comfortable than if I was home with either a landline or smart phone being held up to my ear!

Had the same problem until I went this route:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Blue...819620?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item27c89346a4
Now I got my geek on and can hear better with this and am more comfortable than if I was home with either a landline or smart phone being held up to my ear!

OMG.

They will revoke the Cool Card you got with the car, if they see you driving with that on!

I have the (ahem) Lotus version of the roadster. When I am driving... don't bother me. I'm driving. I'll call back later. Ditto with the radio, too. I've got all the music I need, coming from the engine behind me.

It will rarely hit the upper 90s here, and when it does, I agree it's too hot to drive. 98' F in full sun means the road surface is 140-160'. The whole point of the roadster is to drive with the top off. If I need to put the top on to keep the A/C inside, I'll drive something else.

I'm pretty sure you'd get pulled over here driving with headphones on. They want you to have at least one ear in the open so you can hear, I dunno, cars honking, things like that.

'Fashion Police' hahaha.

I will admit, tho, I sometimes drive on long rides with one earbud in when I am listening to books on tape. It's enough that I can hear over the buffeting air.

Frankly, I try not to drive with too many distractions. In a car this small, you need to be as situationally aware as a motorcycle. You are only one texter or cell phone calling driver away from being wadded up.

I already voiced an opinion in this thread, but I thought I would take another look now that we have had the Model S for 9 months. I recently spent a week in it on a road trip by myself, and even slept in it. I am no longer "adjusting" to the Model S; it is an awesome car and I feel very comfortable in it. I have kind of even gotten used to the huge size. When I got back from my trip, I wondered how I would react to a ride in the Roadster. Maybe it would feel small and too rough.

Heh. I will always love the Roadster! The Model S is a marvelous machine, but you can't deny physics - something a ton lighter is going to be more fun to toss around. Even if the handling isn't better, the steering feel sure is. Plus there's that extra zip off the line, where it matters most (at least for my driving). And the open cockpit...I love every minute in that thing, whereas the Model S can sort of fade in to the background while driving.

There are many times when I will have to take the Model S - like if I need to carry more people or cargo than the Roadster can handle. And there will be times when I want to take the Model S, like on long road trips (especially once the Superchargers are built out!). But most of the time, I am going to keep driving the Roadster because it is so much goofy fun. I am not sure how I have managed to avoid getting any tickets.

Although I feel bad, because we are a prime example of a family with no need for two Teslas. We don't drive much. A city BEV would make much more sense for us as a second car; in fact it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for us to not have a second car at all (from my perspective anyway; though my wife would never go for it - she chooses to bike and take the bus a lot, but still wants a car there just in case). From any practical perspective, and in keeping with my vehicle history and plans when I bought the Roadster, I should have sold the Roadster and kept our RAV4-EV. It is just too hard to part with.

Tessie the Roadster tends to only get driven in nice weather now - especially when I can put the top down. There's no doubt Essie the Model S is more comfortable, smoother, and quieter. The Model S is fun to drive, yes, but the Roadster is even, uh, funner.

Yeah, but my Roadster isn't a sport and my Model S isn't a Performance, so it's not the match most people would want to see. And my wife's not at all interested in this sort of hooliganism. Even when I explain it's for scientific purposes.

Besides, while I would enjoy zipping past her on the way to 60, I know I'd regret it once we get to higher speeds and she suddenly passes me...

Yeah, but my Roadster isn't a sport and my Model S isn't a Performance, so it's not the match most people would want to see. And my wife's not at all interested in this sort of hooliganism. Even when I explain it's for scientific purposes.
Tell her we'll buy her dinner if she beats your Roadster in her Model S. But we need footage for evidence.