TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Wagon

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ShantJ, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ShantJ

ShantJ New Member

Is there any possibility of there being a Model S wagon? With the possibility of a Model S-based van, you'd think they'd try out a wagon first.

Also, it would help create sales in Europe.

2. flabby

flabby Member

Did you know that the model S is a hatchback (sportback)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Yes, but if you want/need a wagon, a hatchback doesn't cut it. Nothing beats an estate car for hauling a pack'o'pups so that they can see and not bonk their fury noggins when going over bumps.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

4. waltoninn

waltoninn Member

I plan on getting the Model S sedan, but I think it is a great idea to offer a true station wagon body style. We seem to see an emerging comeback of the typical American station wagon, which when you look at it as an objective observer, without being weighed down by the now outdated view of the wagon as only a suburban family car, is really an ideal body style:

1. It is good for carrying cargo.
    2. Those sitting in the second row seat don't have the sun on their back for the better part of a day's sunlight driving time.
    3. The lower and sleeker shape and design of a good number of station wagon designs usually means that they get pretty good energy utilization ("gas mileage") mileage, especially compared to the typical mini-van or SUV.
    4. Styling of the car can often be quite appealing, and I think the Model S sedan body can be rather elegantly adapted to a station wagon body style.
    5. Room and comfort, along with a sense of a more open "trailing" space made up of the rear cargo or third row passenger seats, for the passengers in the first and second rows, I believe, has a positive psychological effect on all passengers, but especially first and second row passengers. If you'd like further explanation and/or interpretation of this, I can elaborate.

Overall, I would say go for it. I would certainly strongly consider getting a station wagon as a second Tesla.

5. alset

alset Member

6. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

I too would consider a wagon instead of a hatchback, but not shure - it still dependt on the final design, hatchback is after all best of 2 worlds. (i have at pressent both a sedan and a wagon)

A sedan/hatchback have better overall airflow, and the rear window tend to be "self cleaning" e.g. my sedan have allways a nice clean rear window, while my wagon is constantly dirty on its rear window (in fact the complete back of the wagon is always dirty, including the tailgate, license plate.)

The most obvious bennefit for a Model ST (wagon) whould be better headroom for 2' and 3' row passengers - 2 places where people have made minor complains about lack of space.
    if a wagon style is offered, I hope they can make the design so the impressive Cwd still are pressent, and that they can make the rear windows "self cleaning"

7. Zextraterrestrial

I think the rear window view would be greatly improved.

The rear window of the current S stays pretty clean. and the current S holds 100 lb dogs w/ no problem. clearance height is a little low for a dane or tall dog but ok for lab/ shepherd size dogs.

8. eelton

eelton Member

What I've seen is that people on enthusiast websites say they want wagons, but when automakers try to sell them (in the U.S.), nobody buys them.

Having said that, this rendering does look attractive:

teslawagon.jpg

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

They do. You just have to call them a "SUV" or "Crossover" for them to sell properly.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Still, think this is being done by people who are not aware how much actual room is in the flat bottomed, no gas tank, exhaust system, transaxle, etc. Tesla.

11. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    For hauling around the puppies, fold the rear seats down. Then you'll have plenty of room for doggie crates!

12. David Johansson

In Northern Europe, wagons are still extremely popular (more so than SUVs). There could be enough market opportunity for Tesla in this. The "Model ST" rendering looks awesome to me.

13. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

My wife still doesn't get it. And she drove the car, and watched me crawl into the frunk easily. I keep telling her we could put 5 people in the car, the two dogs in the back and luggage for the two of us (driving people around after a road trip) in the frunk no problems! I think the Tesla back has about as much room as my GTI with the rear seats folded down. And it would still have an empty frunk and seating for 3 additional people.

If the S was a true sedan it would have lost a lot of appeal from me. And I probably would have waited for Gen III, or a longer ranged LEAF or FocusEV. If it was a true wagon it would gain a little more appeal from me. And my greyhound as she would have more headroom in the back.

14. Desai

Desai Member

#14 Desai, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    Not a fan at all of those renders. Why not just get the Model X?

15. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Not everyone want a taller car with three rows of seating. I'd seriously consider the wagon but the Model X is definately not for me. Not a SUV/Crossover fan to say the least.

16. PeterW

PeterW Member

A wagon works well with dogs, most SUV type vehicles do not have the room in the boot (trunk). The Model S works for us, but a wagon would be better.

I know Bonnie is getting a Model X for her dogs, but I beleive she is using the 2nd and 3rd row of seating for them.

17. JJ Cleghorne

JJ Cleghorne New Member

I love this rendering. Build it but only for special orders ala MB E63 Wagon.

18. sickfox

sickfox Member

+1 :smile:

19. romp

romp Member

Interesting to see this old thread resurrected.

I personally like the renders, but I don't think this will ever happen. Two reasons come to mind:
    * Tesla is trying to simplify the pipeline, but doing this will double the number of configurations and require lots of work on designing/certifying the body that would be as rigid and safe as the current sedan/hatchback.
    * aerodynamic drag. The current hatchback is very good at managing the airflow in the back. Most of the air displaced by the crossection of the car is brought back together with laminar flow (i.e. low energy loss). However with the stationwagon, the almost vertical rear window generates a much bigger area of negative pressure. Notice that the rear window gets dirty on SUVs and SVs: that's an indication of low pressure sucking in dirt. That's where the energy gets lost the most. I'd expect that the Station Wagon would have 10-15% less range, maybe more.

20. bluenation

bluenation Member

these photoshops lack any imagination....they just take what exists (in this example,an S) and slightly shorten it, or add enclosure for wagons, etc

elon has said it will look rather different. cmon, use your design imagination :)