Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S waitlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in my reservation just about exactly one week after the S unveiling, and they say they got near 500 the first week, so I'm probably around number 550...except that the Signature editions will come first. I'd really like to see that list though - I'm getting a little impatient here.

My guess is that they are not going to come up with 2000 people for the signature series. They will either shorten it to 1000 or they will move everyone up to a signature series without demanding more of a deposit. I think that they are not going to see a whole lot of people in this group willing to put down $40K. Probably just the original investors and Roadster owners.

My guess is that they are not going to come up with 2000 people for the signature series. They will either shorten it to 1000 or they will move everyone up to a signature series without demanding more of a deposit. I think that they are not going to see a whole lot of people in this group willing to put down $40K. Probably just the original investors and Roadster owners.

I agree...and would bet they don't even have 50 Signature Series people. Part of the reason is that they just haven't said enough to justify the extra $$ for it.

I agree...and would bet they don't even have 50 Signature Series people. Part of the reason is that they just haven't said enough to justify the extra $$ for it.

I think you're both right on. It's hard enough plunking down money on a car that might not come to be, but throwing down 8X as much for an "upgraded" version -- which you have no clue what the upgrades even are -- not likely.

What could eventually happen is, once they announce what's in the Sig Series and what the final price is (they're supposed to be "fully loaded"), they can give people on the regular list the option of upgrading to a Sig Series. Also, a year from now, the factory should be close to ready and production close to beginning. Hard to put down $40k without knowing what the final price is, whether the DOE loan will ever come, and whether the car will actually get delivered any time close to 2011 or 2012.

What could eventually happen is, once they announce what's in the Sig Series and what the final price is (they're supposed to be "fully loaded"), they can give people on the regular list the option of upgrading to a Sig Series. Also, a year from now, the factory should be close to ready and production close to beginning. Hard to put down $40k without knowing what the final price is, whether the DOE loan will ever come, and whether the car will actually get delivered any time close to 2011 or 2012.

I have been told that that is in fact the case (that you can upgrade from a standard order)

Model S Hedge

Not sure the actual number, but I figure I am one of the fist to pay out the $5k to reserve a car.

Curious to know people's thoughts on whether a person can 'sell' a reservation and transfer the name? Tesla never did send me terms of agreement, although I did click through them during the reservation process.

Hmm, I know I had to sign a copy of the TOS and send it with my payment. As for selling spots, I don't know if they mind so much the idea as the hassle involved.

I'd imagine they'd be all for the hassle on signature slots though. Deciding to ditch the reservation?

Not yet. Seems like there'll be some momentum come 2010 in the EV space from the major names. I am working off of the assumption that oil production will start to show its declines in earnest around then and would like to fund the purchase by working the oil and gas ETFs as the infrastructure investment is being slashed and ultimately the depletion kicks in. With Tesla, there are so many unknowns.

At any rate, if we see another summer '08 like oil price, the list of reservations will certainly grow. Having a good 'spot' in theory ensures a line in delivery, which in turn increases the value of the reservation.

I never had to sign anything (outside of agreeing to terms that I should have copied) They just took the credit card.