Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Wake up Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen quite a few issues with Model 3 wake up issues but haven't seen much lately about newer Model S builds (my car is only 6 months old......P100D)

The past couple of days when I get up to leave in the morning my vehicle is veeeeeerrrrrryyyy slow to wake up. When I walk up to the car it unlocks and I can hop right in no problems. Then I'm just sitting in a dark car because neither screen will come on. I am unable to get the car put into gear either. It's like the car is just dead or something. After a few minutes of continuing to try pushing the brake pedal the headlights finally came on. I was now able to put the car into gear and drive, however, both the large media screen and the smaller screen above the steering wheel remained black and wouldn't turn on. After driving a few miles the screens finally came on. Has anybody seen anything similar? I've always noticed that this newer car is slower to start up than my previous Tesla I had leased but I've never seen this particular issue before.

I couldn't really "reset" the screens because they weren't on at all. Do you think it makes sense to re-set them once they eventually do come on?

Any help appreciated.....thanks!

I've been experiencing this as well since upgrading to 2019.12. It happens multiple times a day for me and always have to resort to rebooting. Happened to me on the road once where the screens went black temporarily and then the Tesla logo appeared on the center screen like it had rebooted while driving.

It's happened to me twice, in the morning heading to work, in the last two days.

On Monday AM, I went out to my car, doors unlock, and I was pretty much sitting in the dark. Both screens were off and I wasn't sure what as happening. Had to eventually do a reset and the screens finally booted back up. Took about 5 minutes to settle and fix and I was on my way.

This morning, I tried to connect to my car through my app but it wouldn't connect. I had a hutch what was happening so went out to my car, and yep, same thing as Monday AM. Can access the door, but both screens were turned off and I was sitting in the dark. Had to reboot for the screens to boot back up and was on my way. This morning was a bit quicker, about 2 minutes.

This only happened after updating to 2019.2012.

2018 75D, after upgrading to 2019.12 this black screens is daily occurrence now.. :(
I'm at Day 3 now with the blank screens. A new problem surfaced today whereby both screens froze and were thus inoperable while I was driving on the 101. Fortunately, I was able to disengage AP. Operating and parking the vehicle with the screens frozen was a fun experience. Scheduled an appointment to have the Service Center check it out, per their guidance.

I, too, have experienced a black screen in the morning. Started after last software update 4/18/2019 to 2019.12. Been to dealer every day for the last week because now it won't start for 3 minutes if the car has been parked for more than two hours. Also impacting ability to get into front trunk. Still determining whether it is impacting charging. Dealers says it is the new intel chips in the MCU. Car is new as of Dec. I was a previous S owner and never had this problem. Apparently they have changed the chip provider, hence the problems. Pretty significant. I'm completely dead in the water when it happens.