Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Wh/m

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a 2020 model s long range with 20K miles. It is much faster and of course much longer range than the 2018 75D I did own. I really like the new car but like the last model S I can rarely get a good Wh/m. So many here talk about mid 200 Wh/m and I can rarely get that low.
I test drive quite a few cars and would check their history and they also would be in the mid 300 range if not higher.

I can’t understand how so many here can get these great numbers? Even in mild weather I only get mid 200’s if I keep it under 70. I’m generally in the low to mid 300’s. Now with temps below 30 and driving 83 mph I’m in the low to mid 400 range. Is this normal Wh/m for a model S long range?

I just purchased a 2020 model s long range with 20K miles. It is much faster and of course much longer range than the 2018 75D I did own. I really like the new car but like the last model S I can rarely get a good Wh/m. So many here talk about mid 200 Wh/m and I can rarely get that low.
I test drive quite a few cars and would check their history and they also would be in the mid 300 range if not higher.

I can’t understand how so many here can get these great numbers? Even in mild weather I only get mid 200’s if I keep it under 70. I’m generally in the low to mid 300’s. Now with temps below 30 and driving 83 mph I’m in the low to mid 400 range. Is this normal Wh/m for a model S long range?
People that do get mid 200’s are well under 70 mph in good weather.

Reactions: kazamm
Just did a 210 miles round trip to Los Angeles in a late MS refresh. All freeway averaging 65-72. I got 249 wh/mi. My MYP was about the same. Above 60 mph, range drops dramatically in any type of car. It is all about how much air you have to push out of the way. Most drive around 80 on open roads and have no idea what their mileage is. They just keep filling up the tank.

So here is my trips screen. It has been very cold the last couple of weeks so I know that has a big effect but I’m happy when I’m in the low 300’s. Would these Wh/m shown be out of the norm?

Attachments

• 607376C7-D987-4547-9133-98ABA4985EA7.jpeg
    607376C7-D987-4547-9133-98ABA4985EA7.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 168
I average about 310Wh/m over the course of 6000 miles and that includes quite a few 0-60 ”tests”. I do mostly city driving and have a lead foot. I can get mid to high 200s if I’m below 70mph. I’ve gotten in the high 100s in really bad traffic on the freeway.

My 2014 has been averaging just over 400 for the last 30k miles, BUT a fair bit of that has been towing and ALL of it has been at highway speeds. Some when not towing (but had a couple small tool boxes on a tray on the back) was also at 100mph out west in the summer. VERY smooth at speed! The usual rating though when not towing or having stuff on the back has been about ~340 wh/mi at 85mph. Not bad.

I also had an absolutely atrocious alignment from the previous owner, and have now discovered a front wheel bearing on the way out (growling and howling above 40mph) which also would contribute to increased drag.

I have felt some pulsing in the brakes when stopping, so I suspect the rotors are also possibly warped. Going to address these last two items in the next few days - I already have the bearings, so I just need to check on the rotors when doing that work probably tomorrow.

I have another road trip (but will be towing a small open trailer yet again) in the next week or so, and hopefully will see a nice drop in the power usage.

Now with temps below 30 and driving 83 mph I’m in the low to mid 400 range

Normal for low temperature (the resistance heat system draws about 100 Wh/mi when in use) and high speed really kills, slow down!

I have a 2020 MS LRP, over 2-years I have averaged 300 Wh/mi over 25,000 miles. I spend about half my time on the highway doing about 75 and the rest in the city.

In the end don’t worry about it, just enjoy the car!

I recorded an incredible low efficiency of 431wh/mi over 142 miles. This was in my 2019 with 19" wheels on Christmas eve. The temps were in the single digits and there was a bit of a crosswind. The trip included an overall 169 ft elevation drop. Average speed was 69. I thought for sure I could make the 200 mile trip in one charge from 100%. Maybe I could have, but I'd have been at 4-5% SoC at arrival - not really the time to push the limits.

As others have said, speed, cold, and uphill travel kills range.

I usually get 330-350wh/m on my commute with AP on as often as possible. This in 80-90F Florida weather. Pretty much all highway. First 10 miles set at 60 MPH, last 35 miles set at 80MPH. Which gives me a real world 280 miles range. That is a max range on my LR. If I translate this to a road trip, you take the the top 20% off, since you never charge to 100% (because it is slow from 80% and up), and the bottom 10% for reserve, I get a decent 190-200 miles on a road trip between charges. I used to think that is low, but it is plenty. I kind of hijacked this thread from efficiency to range. Sorry.

Reactions: geordi
I usually get 330-350wh/m on my commute with AP on as often as possible. This in 80-90F Florida weather. Pretty much all highway. First 10 miles set at 60 MPH, last 35 miles set at 80MPH. Which gives me a real world 280 miles range. That is a max range on my LR. If I translate this to a road trip, you take the the top 20% off, since you never charge to 100% (because it is slow from 80% and up), and the bottom 10% for reserve, I get a decent 190-200 miles on a road trip between charges. I used to think that is low, but it is plenty. I kind of hijacked this thread from efficiency to range. Sorry.
Ya’ll drive too fast. Lol.

I got 224 miles on my 85D on 90% charge with 6% left at 65mph. If I had a 100D or a refreshed long range…woowee

I’ve done quite a bit of drag racing and autocross in my day but 80mph on the highway never felt comfortable no matter what I was driving.

Then you aren't driving enough. PLEASE stay to the right for your safety if you are puttering along at 65, b/c the average traffic speed on I-95 is 80 minimum in the left lanes.

Talking about driving fast, I bought my MS in May in Florida and promptly took it to the West Coast (Oregon!) and then back across the USA to Connecticut. Through 20 of the lower 48 states in just one trip. West of the Missouri River, the car spent most of the time around 90-95mph, b/c the west is a really REALLY big place!

Ya’ll drive too fast. Lol.

I got 224 miles on my 85D on 90% charge with 6% left at 65mph. If I had a 100D or a refreshed long range…woowee

I’ve done quite a bit of drag racing and autocross in my day but 80mph on the highway never felt comfortable no matter what I was driving.
LOL Don't try a steady 120-130 in Germany. This was 25 years ago, when I used to live there for many years, when you could actually do it. Last three years, when we've visited, they had so much traffic that maybe midnight you could drive that fast, on the few stretches that are still without limit.

The 80MPH is in S FL turnpike. That is the flow of the fast lane... 80-90. If you go 75 in the middle lane you are holding up traffic. Absolutely no exaggeration. At 65 in the right lane trucks will be honking at you. Highway patrol has not pulled me over since 2011 and I just go with the flow except the occasional burst for fun. I know this is way different in other states.

LOL Don't try a steady 120-130 in Germany. This was 25 years ago, when I used to live there for many years, when you could actually do it. Last three years, when we've visited, they had so much traffic that maybe midnight you could drive that fast, on the few stretches that are still without limit.

The 80MPH is in S FL turnpike. That is the flow of the fast lane... 80-90. If you go 75 in the middle lane you are holding up traffic. Absolutely no exaggeration. At 65 in the right lane trucks will be honking at you. Highway patrol has not pulled me over since 2011 and I just go with the flow except the occasional burst for fun. I know this is way different in other states.
Where I’m from(mid atlantic) people can barely drive 65 without running into jersey walls and each other. That’s the main reason it never feels comfortable to me to go any faster as the amount of times you will get cut off means you’re unnecessarily reducing your reaction times to save a few minutes tops on your trip.

I go 70 tops depending on the speed limit. Has always suited me well.

Then you aren't driving enough. PLEASE stay to the right for your safety if you are puttering along at 65, b/c the average traffic speed on I-95 is 80 minimum in the left lanes.

Talking about driving fast, I bought my MS in May in Florida and promptly took it to the West Coast (Oregon!) and then back across the USA to Connecticut. Through 20 of the lower 48 states in just one trip. West of the Missouri River, the car spent most of the time around 90-95mph, b/c the west is a really REALLY big place!

Been here my whole life. I know how fast people drive on I-95. I put 75k miles on the 85D in 3 years and drove from NC to the Canadian border for an old job on a weekly basis. I drive plenty.

I just don’t care how fast others think they need to drive to keep up with random strangers they will never meet. I stick to my 65 in the right and middle lanes. I’ve seen plenty of people doing 80 on I-95 in my time in accidents a few miles after passing me. Typically traffic slows up unexpectedly and they rear end the purpose in front of then lol. One guy fish tailed in the rain bounced off the jersey wall and shot across all three lanes once and was lucky everyone avoided him. He passed me doing probably 80+ also.

I have a 2020 MSP and drive in NW Florida and Alabama area. I have a very heavy go pedal and most of the time I use it. But I do only 78 on interstates and drive 50% in the city. Almost always in the 280 Wh/mi range. Not trying for great range since I also have free unlimited Super Charging.

My guess it is hills and weather that effect your numbers.

M

IMG_6619.JPG

Because my car is similar to OP's, the info I posted in the attached thread might be of interest, but it just supports most of what's posted above.