TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S wheel nut spacing

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Billygarrett, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Billygarrett

Billygarrett Member

I know there are 5 nuts on the S wheels, but does anybody know if the spacing and position is the same as a Lexus RX 350 or 400H?
    Strange question, but I recently invested (actually last winter!!) in a set of alloys with winter/snow tyres for my 400h and I am wondering if they will fit a Model S!
    Also since they are 18 inch wheels, so apart from the speedo saying the car is going faster than it actually is, can anybody see a problem fitting these alloys in winter?
    BTW, how does the car know if 19" or 21" wheels are fitted?
    Thanks
    Billy

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You won't be able to use your 18" wheels because they won't clear the brakes.
    The 19" and 21" tires have almost the same revs/mile so that won't make any difference.

3. wart

wart Nosecone Member

The bolt pattern on the Tesla Model S is 5-120. Lexus RX appears to be 5-114. So no, not the same pattern.

5-120 appears to be most common on BMW's.

4. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Why does the car care? Wheel diameter is unimportant if tire diameter is the same. 19's and 21's have same tire diameter.

5. Kbsilver

Kbsilver Member

Besides lug spacing there is bore size and offset. Most performance cars are tight fit on the bore over a lip on the axle for perfect centering. I just checked Tire Rack and they have over 80 different wheels listed for Tesla, so it must be a common size.

6. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

A lot of those wheels use centering rings to correct for bore differences.

7. Billygarrett

Billygarrett Member

That's a lot of info that I didn't know.
    Many thanks Everybody.
    Anybody want to buy a set of Lexus 400h wheels? :)

8. James Anders

James Anders Member