TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Wheel Pricing & Performance: Std|Perf|Sig

Discussion in 'Model S' started by neroden, Apr 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Teslawisher

Teslawisher Member

Sounds like the main issue (aside from spatters observation) is wanting the perf model, but live in an environment where you don't get much out of one of the perf model's features (the 21" wheels). Allowing a downgrade is not very common at all. Allowing that downgrade and giving credit back is virtually unheard of.

What do other people who want a performance based car who live in those environments do with manufactures not allowing downgrades?
    - Get the 21"'s and a spare/winter set of wheels/tires
    - Get the 21"'s and deal with it

What do they do for the performance based car for manufactures that do allow downgrades (Tesla - and regardless of credit or not)?
    - Get the 19"'s and be happy
    - Get the non-perf with the 19"'s because you're not going to get the performance benefits of the perf version anyway 8-10 months out of the year.

Would it be really great if ordering a car, or cable/satellite channels, or a computer was purely ala carte? Hells to the yes! Only get what you'd pay for. I'd LOVE that! But, fact remains that bundling is how many industries (not just some individual companies) keep their profit margins where they want in increasingly difficult times and sometimes to get one thing you want, you can't have something else.

2. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I don't want ala carte, I'm not asking for Tesla to provide any flexibility in options they're not already providing. I just want to pay for the product I'm actually getting. That's not the same as being unhappy I'm getting things I don't care about, like DirectTV including some crap channel in a package.

I don't need to convince folks to take my position (well, it'd be nice to convince Tesla), but it'd be nice if it felt like the position was understood.

I get the other side, the "this is what other vendors do" argument. I don't really care what other vendors do, the "be like everyone else" argument has never held sway with me on any topic. However, I do understand that position.

3. Teslawisher

Teslawisher Member

My apologies. I wasn't trying to insinuate that you wanted ala carte. I just made that statement in the most general of terms, not directed at you. If I could choose each item in a car along the way and not have to obtain (and thus pay) through a package, I'd be all over it, whether it be building a car or ordering TV. That would satisfy my feelings of getting what I paid for AND not getting what I didn't want. I'm in your boat, believe it or not.

I understand your position too. I think most arguments on this string were trying to get you to understand why it's not that way, which you obviously have a clear understanding of. Good luck in your decision.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Ok, thanks :). It's good to know we didn't get the wires crossed.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Tesla could have gone even further and said the Performance only comes with the 21" performance wheels. If you want something else, you have to order it in addition so at least it's not that bad.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Tesla is already taking the extra step of at least allowing you ALL the wheel options if you get a higher model (even though you don't get a credit). That's already a departure from how things are normally done. It'll be a step further to give a credit.

And if a credit is given it'll likely won't be the same as the individual option price (usually bundles are priced less than choosing every single option separately).

7. swegman

swegman Active Member

Leather option: How much is leather?

I have a reservation for the signature model and the production model. I want the performance versions for the leather choice and seats, not for the speed improvement. If both cars are equipped the same, the signature model is approximately $5100 more than the production model. For that difference, you can have the red exterior, the white interior and quicker delivery. For me, the time difference between the two cars is approximately 1 month according to Tesla. Signature is expected to be delivered in September. I don't want the white interior. So I am paying $5K+ to have the red exterior color. I am willing to do this.

However, I object to the tires. 21 inch tires/rims are no good where I live. Too many potholes. Just hit one 3 weeks ago in my Mercedes SLK, and a new rim was $1,100. So, if I downgrade to the 19 inch tires, I am throwing away another $3,500. So now the Singnature Performance is $8,600 premium.. Alternatively, if I take the car with the 21 inch tires, I will have to spend another $4K+ for 19 inch rims and snow tires, and have to deal with tire swapping twice a year and storage issues.

So, as it stands now, I feel like I am being forced from the Performance models to the regular production model. However, the regular models (both production and signature) have leather seats I do not like. So it is not just a simple matter of selecting the regular model with the options I want. It boils down to taking the performance models with the leather seats I want (I don't care about the speed improvement of the performance model) at a huge cost premium or take the production model with the seats I don't want.

I have called Tesla to discuss this. They said if enough people formally express their opinions to them, they may reconsider. As it now stands, I am reconsidering whether to get both (or even one) Model S, and may exercise my 6 month delay options because of this issue. I want the leather seats of the performance model with 19 inch tires. If I exercise my delay options, Tesla can not give the cars to another person, so they lose 2 sales until such time as I cancel or accept the cars. Seems like a loss to me by Tesla.

Tesla kept telling me they do not want me to accept a car that is not the way i want it. They kept saying they want me to be happy with the choice and understand my concerns, and may change their pricing model if enough people formally complain. So, contact Tesla headquiarters and talk to them. They may surprise all of us.

8. qwk

qwk P130DL

#68 qwk, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
    Mod note: Posts moved from [URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.p

I agree with the above. There are some options you cannot get separately that are somewhat of a deal breaker for some. Tesla has to realize that while a model S performance may compete with bmw's M cars, many people who wouldn't otherwise buy an M car would buy the performance S because of the "electric car thing". Many of these people also live in parts of the country that have horrible roads, and cold snowy/muddy winters. 21 inch wheels with low profile tires are dealbreakers.

I would bet that this is an example of Tesla jumping over dollars to pick up nickels. The poster above is a perfect example. 2 model S cars on order, options may be dealbreakers, and he may not buy either car. Tesla loses about $50k profit on that. They would have to sell 20 wheel upgrades or people that take the downgrade with no rebate to just cover one customer that cancels his order. It's a simple game of numbers here, but if a customer is 100% satisfied, you dont have to play number games to make great profits.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Love the 21 inch wheels, but they are a no go where I live. I want the performance S, but the way the options are structured now, will not get one. I'll probably end up getting a base pack with the few options I want/need. That is a ton of margin left on the table for Tesla, but it's up to them how they want to approach this...

9. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

That pretty much sums it up.

However, whatever money Tesla stands to gain or lose with their wheel pricing choice, I suspect it's a tiny amount simply because there probably aren't that many of us that want 19" tires on the Perf model. Even if I was right (and that's certainly not a given) in guessing Tesla would make more money changing their policy, it may be such a small amount of money that it's not worth their attention.

10. qwk

qwk P130DL

I bet we would be surprised how many want the performance with 19" wheels.

Yes, it could be a small amount of money, or a very large one, nobody can possibly know this, and probably won't find out once a decision is made. It's always much smarter to go with the "you can get more bees with honey than vinegar" scenario, especially for a new company. Anyway, the ball is in Tesla's court, there has been plenty of feedback on this topic, so it's kind of pointless to beat this dead horse anymore.

11. ibcs

ibcs Member

I agree with you 100%. I can't use the tires in 21" tires in Ohio and don't care as much for the performance gain. What I really like is the carbon fiber accents and the leather in the inside of the car. I hope Tesla changes their mind, I'll still go with the Signature, but considered the Performance, but the premium seems to high with no credit for the 19" wheels.

12. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

The only way I'd even consider 19" wheels is if Tesla had 19" turbine wheels. :)

I love the way the 21" turbine wheels look and can't imagine the car without them. Of course I've never owned wheels bigger than 17" so I may be in for a nasty surprise in the future.

13. swegman

swegman Active Member

I like the appearance of the 21 inch rims, but they are totally out of the question.

I was told by my sales agent that the performance models have extra padding for the bolsters, in addition to the alcatera material. In addition, the performance production and the two signature models nclude leather on the lower part of the dash and on the door panels. This is in addition to the colored piping and carbon fiber accents.

The regular production car has different seats from what I was told (less padding in the bolsters), plus the leather option does not include the piping or alcatera. In the signature non-performance model, the leather has perforations, whereas the signature performance and production performance is solid leather. My sales agent thinks the non-signature production has the perforated leather, but he is not certain. However, he did say the quality of the leather in the non-performance production model is not as high as on the two signature models and the production performance model.

In addition, the non-performance production has no leather on the bottom half of the dash and on the door panels. Plus, the carbon fiber accents are omitted.

I want the "sport" seats, leather on seats, lower dash and door panels, and carbon fiber accents of the performance model, which features can not be added to the non-performance or signature non-performance models. Thus, I am not thrilled with the non-performance model, which is obviously being built to a desired price point. On the other hand, I do not want 21 rims and wheels on a car in my area, especially after just having had to spend $1,100.00 to replace a bent rim, from hitting a pothole that was so subtle I did not even realize I had hit one (I check my car between trips, and drove it on a 16 mile when the rim got bent). I am already paying a $5,100 (to $5,800) premium soley to get the signature performance model in the Tesla red color (which is something I want), but object to effectively paying an additional $3,500 premium (i.e., $8,600 to $9,300 total) for the car with tires/rims that are totally unsatisfactory in my area. Where I live, the car would need constant rim replacements due to the low profile tires. This is talking from experience. If you have never had low profile tires with aluminum rims, you will be in for an unpleasant surprise if you live in an area full of potholes.

14. swegman

swegman Active Member

Correction, not all the things I want csan be added to the signature non-performance model.

15. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

I agree the 19' rims look quite nice, if not as striking as the fan blades.

WRT the differences in interior trims, I believe that the above posters are concerned about the perceived lack of polish of the regular (non-perf, non-sig) model's interior finishing with the leather upgrade. For the price of a fully loaded "regular" S, I hope Tesla hits it out of the ballpark! I will reserve judgement until I see it in person.

Now about that rumored Montreal dealership... who do I have to talk to? :smile:

16. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

I have 19 inch wheels on my BMW, and will order 19s on the S. After seeing how big the 19 inch wheels are, I feel they will be an excellent choice. Plus, I believe this has been mentioned before, 19 inch wheels will have more replacement options including both performance and all weather tires.

17. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

#77 bonnie, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    Yo! Did you guys get lost? You're in the Model S wheel pricing and performance thread. How did we get to service centers and 'how much leather' in the leather interior option?

Mod note:
    -- Posts about the leather (or lack thereof) interior moved to here.

-- Posts about rumored new service centers moved here.

-narrowed eyes- I'm watching all of you. Behave.

18. swegman

swegman Active Member

We got to "how much leather" because it was suggested that if one does not want the 21 tires/rims, one should order the production non-performance model and select the options that one wants. The reply to this position was that it is not that simple, because the production non-performance model does not provide the ability to order the sport seats, colored piping, and extensive leather on the dashboard and door panels that are available on the production and signature performance models.

This post is merely intended to explain how we got to "how much leather", and not to bash or offend anyone. I hope I did not step on any toes by posting this, and apologize if I did.

19. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

:crying:

20. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I've derailed posts and gone off-topic faster than most. So no worries. I just was doing a little thread-cleaning last night :).