Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Wheel Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone..New to the forum here…

I have a 2012 Model S P85.. Early production car.. I have bought a set of slipstream wheels that came off of a 2018 Model S for my car. I have learned that my car has the earlier tire pressure sensors and these are different than on the 2018 wheels. Can I retro fit earlier tire sensors into these wheels to be able to use them or do I have to upgrade the system?

Thanks !!

Joe

While you can retrofit the older sensors, there is a benefit of upgrading to the new sensors that you would see the pressure displayed for each wheel. I find that much more informative than just an indicator telling me that some tire is low. I also tend to check periodically while I'm driving, allows me to monitor if for some reason I've picked up a slow leak before it gets to be an issue.

Realize is more cost, so may or may not be worth it to you, but something to consider.

While you can retrofit the older sensors, there is a benefit of upgrading to the new sensors that you would see the pressure displayed for each wheel. I find that much more informative than just an indicator telling me that some tire is low. I also tend to check periodically while I'm driving, allows me to monitor if for some reason I've picked up a slow leak before it gets to be an issue.

Realize is more cost, so may or may not be worth it to you, but something to consider.
Any idea what it would take to update to new sensors?

There is no need for the OP to change the tyre sensors as the new version of them would not work with the car’s system. Tyres will keep the pressure even if there is no monitoring system. As @PCMc have explained it would need to exchange the receiving unit as well to make the newer sensors transmit the values. I believe the earlier cars did not showed pressure values but did they monitored the tyres and indicated any errors on the dash? If the older version had some kind of monitoring system then the new tyres will probably bring the alert on.