Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Why do the fans come on when heating the battery for + mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont understand why the fans come on so loud when putting my car into Insane+ mode (I am assuming its the same for Ludicrous+ cars?). I see the battery heater come on as well as the pumps at 100%. Wouldn’t the fans cool the battery refrigerant? Its cold af here in Toronto right now. Seems counter intuitive so looking for some logic here. This is when my batteries are cool or in the 30c’ish zone and warming to 45+ for full Insane+ power. You can see the Battery at a lower temp but the battery heater at 44.6c but the fans are VERY loud. The car states approx 35min for full power. The fans never come on loud in Insane Mode (where the car lives 95% of the time).

Thoughts?

FB436AE4-20A9-4673-A86A-40A22EBA1406.jpeg

For insane+ the battery has to be warmed up quite a bit, so it's perfectly normal what you're experiencing

I understand that.. but why fans at full when its ice cold outside? Seems counterintuitive. I would expect battery heater and running the stator inefficiently to generate heat.. not a fan blowing through an ice cold radiator. Also- I am speaking of the fans that are behind the front bumper corners.. not the cabin fan. They sound like industrial large fans you can hear from 50+ feet away from the car.

Same reason they cocked up battery preheating half a year ago, and we did not had regen for first half hour of driving this season. Getting very inconsistent driving experience.
A combination of gross incompetence, disregard for the users, ignorance about the different climates around the world.

I forgot: a mess of an organisation where no amount of user feedback reaches those that can order a change !
That is one of my biggest frustrations. A friend said to me 'that's just American arrogance' and while I won't burden all Americans with his view, it surely feels that as a company Tesla is very poor at learning from the feedback and observations of its committed and capable owner base.