Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Wifi support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard that the Model S can join your home's wifi to speed downloads, etc. Does anyone know if it supports 802.11n 5GHz wifi?

Yes, although 2.4 GHz has better wall penetration, so it depends on where your access point is w.r.t. garage which will be better for you. We ended up having to put in a repeater to get reliable connection.

the MS does not support 5GHz.

It also is not good at roaming between APs. If mine grabs onto the AP in the front of the house as I drive by to get to the detached garage (where there is an AP not 10 feet from the car) it will hold onto that AP and the mobile app will not work. The garage is just far enough away that it can hold the signal but not pass traffic on the house AP.

It also is not good at roaming between APs. If mine grabs onto the AP in the front of the house as I drive by to get to the detached garage (where there is an AP not 10 feet from the car) it will hold onto that AP and the mobile app will not work. The garage is just far enough away that it can hold the signal but not pass traffic on the house AP.

Yep, had this same issue. I ended up giving it its own AP name.

Could you just block the car by it's MAC address at that first AP?

Is there any advantage to using an LTE wifi hotspot, or even your phone as a hotspot, while on the move to give you a faster connection than the Tesla's built in 3G?

I did this while my 3G was down for a month waiting on service. The nav was quicker to respond to large changes than on the internal 3G, and slacker was a bit more responsive as well and didn't cut out as much in low signal areas. So, it works, but I don't think it would be worth the added cost to do so normally.

When you are on Wifi does the Tesla connect into the subnet on your LAN? My LAN is on 192.168.1.X - on the Tesla's browser would I be able to access web sites on my LAN that aren't accessible to the internet?

When you are on Wifi does the Tesla connect into the subnet on your LAN? My LAN is on 192.168.1.X - on the Tesla's browser would I be able to access web sites on my LAN that aren't accessible to the internet?

Yes and Yes, but, why? I would assume you probably have an iPhone/Android/Tablet you could use for that, and we are only talking about when your car is at hour house/on your WiFi.

Yes and Yes, but, why? I would assume you probably have an iPhone/Android/Tablet you could use for that, and we are only talking about when your car is at hour house/on your WiFi.
First off, because you can. Secondly it is illegal in many places to use a phone while in your car so you can use a phone but it will cost you if you get caught.

I may use a Wifi hotspot to create a CAN (Car Area Network) to connect all devices in my car. It would be useful to be able to select content in an application like Plex that could be "casted" to an iPad in the back seat, perhaps from a media server in the trunk. You could also do this with a phone but there is the issue that I raised above.

First off, because you can. Secondly it is illegal in many places to use a phone while in your car so you can use a phone but it will cost you if you get caught.

I may use a Wifi hotspot to create a CAN (Car Area Network) to connect all devices in my car. It would be useful to be able to select content in an application like Plex that could be "casted" to an iPad in the back seat, perhaps from a media server in the trunk. You could also do this with a phone but there is the issue that I raised above.

I was considering something similar, sans the Apple stuff. ;)

A last generation Android device (like the Galaxy S4) with sufficient hacking could pretty much do all of this on it's own with super low power usage and form factor. Could stash it in the frunk or elsewhere and not really have to physically interact with it, just through a web interface.

Seems it will require some cheating to get the Tesla browser to connect to a local resource, though.