Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my driveway is not nearly as nice :) and my pics are of lower quality, but here are some of mine for now (no tinting at all for the front)

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

15% light blocked. My windows are 20 in the front and 50 in the back. go back a couple of pages the 20 is light and he says 15

15% light blocked? Window tint is usually measured in units of VLT (visible light transmittance). 50% = 50% of light can pass through, 5% = only 5% of light can pass through.

You say in your post you have 20% front, 50% back. Sure you don't mean 20% in the back and 50% in the front? 50% is VERY light.

15% light blocked? Window tint is usually measured in units of VLT (visible light transmittance). 50% = 50% of light can pass through, 5% = only 5% of light can pass through.

You say in your post you have 20% front, 50% back. Sure you don't mean 20% in the back and 50% in the front? 50% is VERY light.

Logan is correct. Tint is measured by the % of light that is let through. The lower the percent, the darker the window. 2.5-5% is the darkest, which is typically called "limo tint" since its really dark and really hard to see through. 15-20% is still pretty dark too. @zextraterrestrial, you have 20% on your back and 50% on your front.

Here is a short video I found were you can easily see the different between tint %'s at 70%, 50%, 35%, 30%, 15%, and 5% http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIOJAbNGww4

ddenboer, I am new to auto tinting. I can understand no windshield tinting but wonder why you don't want any tinting in the front windows. I always found it very difficult to drive especially during sundown and the light is coming through my driving side window. I am researching what % should I put on my S and thinking of the Llumar 35% (legal limit in NC) on 4 side windows and the rear window along with Windscreen (Llumar calls it) on windshield (no tint). Although I am not sure if the Windscreen is necessary since the S has UV protection windshield already, comment anyone?

Here's the regs in Massachusetts:
For most vehicles, aftermarket tinting that registers at least 35% on a tint meter on side windows immediately adjacent to the driver and front passenger seats, and side windows immediately to the rear of the operator and passenger, is acceptable. The rear window may be tinted to the 35% level, but the vehicle must be equipped with two outside rear view mirrors. The windshield may only be tinted down to the AS-1 line, which is usually located in the uppermost (6) inches of the windshield.
Note from the wording that it's clear that a higher number than 35% would be okay, so smaller numbers = darker tint (as @yobigd20 states).