Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking my car in this weekend for a tint job after shopping around and gathering stories from local Tesla owners about their experiences. Of course, for the shop I'm using I'll be the guinea pig. My final criteria weren't so much about TSER figures and chasing "a deal". I found a place that uses a name brand film, happens to be 3M Crystalline, that is a 10 minute drive from my house and has a good rep from my neighbors. Most of the installers here are out in the boonies where rents are cheaper. I want someone local, so if I have a problem I don't have take a day off of work to resolve it or take an Uber back and forth while they're doing the work.

I'm going to start with the basic 5-window package using CR40 and see what kind of job they do with that and whether that's going to be enough to keep things comfortable. I've never done a windshield in any of my cars before, but the CR70 looks like a lot of the OEM tinted windshields I've seen, so I doubt that John Law would blink an eye if I decide to go that route later. I am more concerned about the Pano roof. The factory tint is pretty dark, but I don't think its rejecting much heat, based on the one or two sunny days we've had in the upper 70s.
For those that have done it, how dark did you go? The shop I'm going to only stocks CR70 and CR40, so I'd have to go somewhere else if I wanted to take it down to CR20.

Taking my car in this weekend for a tint job after shopping around and gathering stories from local Tesla owners about their experiences. Of course, for the shop I'm using I'll be the guinea pig. My final criteria weren't so much about TSER figures and chasing "a deal". I found a place that uses a name brand film, happens to be 3M Crystalline, that is a 10 minute drive from my house and has a good rep from my neighbors. Most of the installers here are out in the boonies where rents are cheaper. I want someone local, so if I have a problem I don't have take a day off of work to resolve it or take an Uber back and forth while they're doing the work.

I'm going to start with the basic 5-window package using CR40 and see what kind of job they do with that and whether that's going to be enough to keep things comfortable. I've never done a windshield in any of my cars before, but the CR70 looks like a lot of the OEM tinted windshields I've seen, so I doubt that John Law would blink an eye if I decide to go that route later. I am more concerned about the Pano roof. The factory tint is pretty dark, but I don't think its rejecting much heat, based on the one or two sunny days we've had in the upper 70s.
For those that have done it, how dark did you go? The shop I'm going to only stocks CR70 and CR40, so I'd have to go somewhere else if I wanted to take it down to CR20.

3M 15% on all Windows but front. Have 0 on front but have sunshade. We went with the same shop we always use as they have been here 10+ years.
FB_IMG_1489755454718.jpg
FB_IMG_1489755443658.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1489755443658.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489755443658.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 62

Well if your only looking for heat rejection, CR70 provides the same level as CR20. I went with CR70 on my pano roof as all I wanted was heat rejection without going too dark. The main difference between CR70 and CR20 is amount of visable light transmitted or how dark your car will look from the inside and outside.

IMG_6119.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Indpowr
3M 15% on all Windows but front. Have 0 on front but have sunshade. We went with the same shop we always use as they have been here 10+ years. View attachment 218737 View attachment 218739

Do you know what kind of 3m tint he used? I'm guessing it's not a ceramic tint? From my looking around the lowest 3M crystalline ceramic tint is 20 and their more basic line of 3M ceramic tint is 30...

Well if your only looking for heat rejection, CR70 provides the same level as CR20. I went with CR70 on my pano roof as all I wanted was heat rejection without going too dark. The main difference between CR70 and CR20 is amount of visable light transmitted or how dark your car will look from the inside and outside.
IR rejection isn't the only thing contributing to heating the interior. TSER = The percentage of total solar energy rejected by filmed glass. The higher this value, the less solar heat is transmitted. Quite a difference between CR70 and CR20 in this regard. That is why the shop I'm going to doesn't stock the CR90 for the windshield. He said it doesn't block much heat at all.

Reactions: markn455
I had my last car (5 series) windows tinted here and they did a fantastic job. I was told when I bought my model S that getting the windows tinted at a local tinting shop would be expensive and risky. Is this true? if so why?
It cost me $450 for the tint job (without the windshield). In my experience that is in line with what I have paid for the Huper Optik film for my other cars. Risky, not sure what the risks are other than the film type used possibly causing issues with signal interference for fob I guess. I have not experienced these issues.

Cheers

View attachment 218756

One thing that is very important to note on their chart is that they took the highest # and published. This is quite misleading as infrared radiation rejection will vary depending on the wavelength you are looking at. Here is a short video we made that tests Spectra PhotoSync 55% on this Model S. It shows that from 900-1000nm it rejects 98% of IR (infrared) and at 1700nm it blocks 95% of IR. On a test we conducted a while ago, 3M Crystalline gets 97% at the 900-1000nm, but then drops down to 84% at 1700nm, which is a very significant drop.

Equipment: EDTM Spectrum Analyzer (only portable unit on the market that utilizes patented optics to measure near and far IR). Also conforms to NFRC300 Specifications

Results:
900-1000nm blocks out 98% (only 2% is transmitted through)
1700nm blocks out 95% (only 5% of infrared is transmitted through)

My view out the back hatch window is pretty distorted after a tint job. Is that to be expected or did I get a sub par install?

I've never had tinting before...

It's consistently distorted. Looks great on the surface. No visible physical wrinkles or bubbles. Just like a really bad pair of contact lenses when looking via rear view mirror.

Last edited:
My view out the back hatch window is pretty distorted after a tint job. Is that to be expected or did I get a sub par install?

I've never had tinting before...

It's consistently distorted. Looks great on the surface. No visible physical wrinkles or bubbles. Just like a really bad pair of contact lenses when looking via rear view mirror.

Sounds wrong to me...

Some tints look awful especially when looked through with polorized sunglasses for example... I don't have these issues with the 3M Crystalline tint I used...