TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S - Window Tinting

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by yobigd20, Nov 8, 2012.

1. logan

logan Member

Yes it's legal

• Like x 1
  2. shred86

shred86 Member

I had my front windshield tinted with SunTek CeramicCIR 70% about a month ago. It turned out pretty good but there was a couple small areas with flaws, basically looked like small scratches or imperfections in the tint. It wasn’t that noticeable but it did catch my eye especially in lower light conditions. I had the installer look at it and he said it was minor and front tint is never flawless. He offered to redo it which I accepted. Unfortunately, there’s still some flaws similar to before. Looking back, I wish I would have just kept it as is the first time.

Is this the “norm” for front windshield tint? The tint work the installer did on the side and rear windows turned out basically flawless, but he said the front windshield is difficult to get absolutely perfect. This place has a ton of very good reviews (averaging 5 star on yelp) so I’m assuming they’re a pretty decent tint shop. Maybe I’m just expecting too much. :)

3. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz Fidelius Family Office

I think you can get lucky and get flawless, but they're pretty much telling you the truth: the windshield is large and curved, and very hard to get perfect.

4. Premiertint

Premiertint Local Vendor - NorCal

#1384 Premiertint, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Loco_Nomad, that's a great question...
    The way that law is written, it says that the combined measurement of the VLT (visible light transmitted) of your glass and tint must be 70% or higher on the front doors of your vehicle. Most glass is rated around 88%. So adding the 70%, technically, would give a combined rating of lower than 70% and therefore be "less than legal". But, the odds of it getting noticed at all, namely ticketed, are extremely low. They would need a meter to tell you the exact measurement and I would be confident that the reading of said meter would be in the low 60%. If you want 100% legal, you'd have to get a film in the high 80s% and THEN get is measured with your glass to confirm.

5. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

Thinking about getting suntek, any recommendations for carbon vs ceramic?

6. BlackS

BlackS Member

I remember the days where any tint on front windows was illegal in CA! I once got a ticket when i was 16 with my dark tinted windows up and no seat belt. I showed up to court and asked the judge 'If my windows were tinted and so dark, how could the officer see that i was wearing no seat belt?' Judge looked at me and smirked and let me go with a fix it ticket :)

7. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

Very nice. I have photosync on all of my Teslas and have other brands on my previous cars. Wouldn't choose anything else now that I've had it on my S for 5 years now. Highly recommended because our Teslas are fish bowls.

8. Loco_Nomad

Loco_Nomad Member

Got 3M Crystaline installed on Tuesday, 50% front sides, 70% windshield, 20% back and 90% sunroof (sorry don't have nice pics yet, it is raining here in Bay Area and car is dirty :D )
    Not as dark as I wanted in the back, was hoping 20% will be as dark as Suntek film
    love the blue/pink/purple effect though

Attached Files: