Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I am going go with 3m crystalline 40s all around and maybe decide front. Sad the 3m crystilline 40 is the darkes...from Thier info that about 38% visibility. Would prefer 30/35 visibility to be a bit darker. But these other brand like lumbar don't have the nice heat protection 3M does

While the 3M Crystalline does have superior heat blocking properties to the Llumar ceramic tint, it wasn't worth it for me. The Llumar was only around 10% less effective and the 3M was more than twice the price in my area. IMO, nothing wrong with either choice as long as it meets your needs.

Hmm good point.

FYI for those who want to compare the % differences

Compare Window Tint on Car Examples 5, 15, 30, 35, 50, 70% - YouTube

Great video. Note that this is comparing the tint shading. In case it helps others, Smilepak also mentioned 3M's superior heat blocking.

For what I got, go to Window Tint Viewer | LLumar Window Film and click Med. Film. The CTX is what is on my vehicle and carries a 48% heat rejection. This link shows 3M Crystalline definitely has more heat gain prevention than the Llumar CTX 40 (60% vs. 48%). Both of these are marketing docs and I take it with a grain of salt. Others have posted more "tested" results and the 3M does win that. Just note that it is not leaps and bounds of an improvement. Going with either is better than traditional films that simply focus on light reduction rather than heat. :)

Also note the shading difference. I actually like that the Crystalline is a bit more brownish than the CTX's gray, but I doubt most would be able notice the difference unless they were side-by-side. For me, it worked out since I didn't buy the Titanium car (which I get if I ordered again) and got Gray instead.

Great video. Note that this is comparing the tint shading. In case it helps others, Smilepak also mentioned 3M's superior heat blocking.

For what I got, go to Window Tint Viewer | LLumar Window Film and click Med. Film. The CTX is what is on my vehicle and carries a 48% heat rejection. This link shows 3M Crystalline definitely has more heat gain prevention than the Llumar CTX 40 (60% vs. 48%). Both of these are marketing docs and I take it with a grain of salt. Others have posted more "tested" results and the 3M does win that. Just note that it is not leaps and bounds of an improvement. Going with either is better than traditional films that simply focus on light reduction rather than heat. :)

Also note the shading difference. I actually like that the Crystalline is a bit more brownish than the CTX's gray, but I doubt most would be able notice the difference unless they were side-by-side. For me, it worked out since I didn't buy the Titanium car (which I get if I ordered again) and got Gray instead.

Ok you twist my arms..Llumar it is...

15 for rear hatch
30 for rear side and front side
80 for front...

Tinting Prices | Superior Auto Styling

still ill waiting for my tesla I. Production queue...lol

Last edited:
Need help and opinions guys, I'm getting Pinnacle tint done tomorrow and was debating whether or not to have them leave a 2 inch by 2 inch square untinted in the top back center area of the rear hatch window for my rear dashcam. Gonna do 15% in the back and 30% in front windows. Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks everyone!

I was just doing research and found that some of the tint film manufacturers also make a security film. I was amazed when I saw how tough they are! Anyone know if the PhotoSync film is also a security film?

I was almost all decided on Prestige PhotoSync, then I found the security aspect.

Here's 3M's: 3M Scotchshield Automotive Security Films - Clear and tinted Security films for cars, trucks - 3M Scotchshield

Even Llumar has an offering: LLumar Automotive Security Window Film - YouTube

I can't find anything from Prestige. Anyone know?

Anyone got recommendation for a good and cheap tinting place near the Orange County, CA (Costa Mesa) Service Center? I was thinking of swinging by after pick up of the car to have it Tint. Prefer one that uses Llumar CTX tint or some dark 3M

Just setup appt for photosync on Tues, 35% all around & 75% on windshield. They were currently doing a MS so it was interesting to see them work and make sure they protected the interior, etc.. It's 110F today in Vegas, I need that tint now!

You are choosing the right film for the desert heat. We have tested many films over the course of 18 yrs, and photosync by far is the highest heat rejecting film on the market. Many of our customers choose Photosync 45 and 55. 65 is also very popular for those who want to stay closer to the legal side.

Another window film that offers exceptional heat rejection is Ceraluxe (made by Prestige), the same company that manufactures Photosync. It costs approximately 20%-25% less than Photosync yet still offers better performance than other products, with the exception of Photosync. It does offer a 20% VLT line, so for those who want a darker look this would be it.

*no affect on electronic signals or 3g broadband
*extremely good clarity
*color is somewhat similar to Photosync
*great heat rejection

Attachments

• CLX specs 1.jpg
    CLX specs 1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 951
Last edited:
My photosync looks fantastic! I picked her up today... driving home it was 110F and I only had to use level 2 on the fan so a noticeable difference. Eco-Tint in Las Vegas does a fantastic job. I can't even tell the windshield is tinted since it's 75%, the rest is 35% and not too dark.

My photosync looks fantastic! I picked her up today... driving home it was 110F and I only had to use level 2 on the fan so a noticeable difference. Eco-Tint in Las Vegas does a fantastic job. I can't even tell the windshield is tinted since it's 75%, the rest is 35% and not too dark.

I echo your experience with photosync. We have had it on the car through 100 degree weather and we typically only need to have it on level 1 or 2 set at 69 degrees F. My wife is a dermatologist and I used to be in the PV industry, so we are extremely technical when it comes to numbers. My wife was quite surprised at how well photosync works for keeping the car cooler, but one thing she had brought up to me that I never thought of was sunburn. She is a member of the Skin Cancer Foundation as well as a regular speaker at various events and in the USA, there is the issue of a large percentage of the population that would have their left side (face and arm) regularly exposed to harmful uv rays because we spend so much time driving. It not only increases the chance of melanoma, but also creates advanced aging and wrinkles. She has been so impressed with photosync that she regularly recommends it for her patients. And from what she has told me, they have all been quite happy with photosync. I personally would not go with anything else other than it for my cars. A+ for photosync - I use my AC a lot less than before, which definitely helped with my kwh consumption.

This is the reason I am so pleased with Photosync. On 94 degree day, I'm merely running at 70 degrees on climate control and only at L1. When it reaches 100+ then I'm pushing 68~69 and at L2

Attachments

• 20150625_185327.jpg
    20150625_185327.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 762
I'm having trouble finding the right tint. It feels like a bit of a goldilocks moment. I am looking for good heat rejection but also a dark charcoal/black look to it. I don't care for the Crystalline (bronze) look on my black car. The Madico has a blueish hue. Huper looks too shiny almost mirror like to me. Solar guard looked green on the cars I saw. I almost did Llumar CTX but the heat lamp rejection demo at the installer showed me its performance was not great.

I am down to researching Pinnacle One Ultimate or Photosync. Finding a dealer using either is not easy and I can't seem to find pictures of black cars with these tints. I think the color of the car makes a big difference in the what tint is compatible color-wise.

Anyone with a black car have a nice black looking tint that has good heat rejection?

- - - Updated - - -

darthvdr. where did you have your tint installed? In your area? does it have a blueish tint to it that the spec sheet describes?

I'm having trouble finding the right tint. It feels like a bit of a goldilocks moment. I am looking for good heat rejection but also a dark charcoal/black look to it. I don't care for the Crystalline (bronze) look on my black car. The Madico has a blueish hue. Huper looks too shiny almost mirror like to me. Solar guard looked green on the cars I saw. I almost did Llumar CTX but the heat lamp rejection demo at the installer showed me its performance was not great.

I am down to researching Pinnacle One Ultimate or Photosync. Finding a dealer using either is not easy and I can't seem to find pictures of black cars with these tints. I think the color of the car makes a big difference in the what tint is compatible color-wise.

Anyone with a black car have a nice black looking tint that has good heat rejection?

- - - Updated - - -

darthvdr. where did you have your tint installed? In your area? does it have a blueish tint to it that the spec sheet describes?

some recommend Winco. Suppose to have great heat rejection comparable to 3M

- - - Updated - - -

On our +, we used Premier in Fremont as they are highly regarded and from what I can tell, they have tinted more Teslas than anyone around. I did a lot of research initially as I posted this many pages ago on this thread. On the color side, I did not like the brown look to 3M and there was another ceramic tint that was too reflective for my taste. Here is my + with photosync 35 and 75 on the front.

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_9697.jpg
    IMG_9697.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 705
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 729
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 714
On our +, we used Premier in Fremont as they are highly regarded and from what I can tell, they have tinted more Teslas than anyone around. I did a lot of research initially as I posted this many pages ago on this thread. On the color side, I did not like the brown look to 3M and there was another ceramic tint that was too reflective for my taste. Here is my + with photosync 35 and 75 on the front.

That looks great. I am looking to go a little darker overall but I like the color of it. I agree on not wanting the brown/green of some tints that are popular.

The photo sync looks like a great choice but the place in Fremont is very pricey. I'm sure they do great work, but hard to justify the 2x price as compared to Pinnacle Ultimate.