Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That looks great. I am looking to go a little darker overall but I like the color of it. I agree on not wanting the brown/green of some tints that are popular.

The photo sync looks like a great choice but the place in Fremont is very pricey. I'm sure they do great work, but hard to justify the 2x price as compared to Pinnacle Ultimate.

From my research and this thread, it seems the price of Photosync is comparable throughout the west coast. For us, we do not regret it a bit. Well worth the extra $$ for photosync we spent on our $130k +

I guess I've gone against the grain here and went with a different Ceramic Film called 'Ceramic QDP by Global' (SolarControlFilmsInc.com). On the front windshield I went with their 'Nano Ceramic IR' tint. It was just installed today, so I'll post pics tomorrow. I ended up choosing this because it is what was recommended by the installer we used for all the windows in our home, we've been extremely satisfied with our home windows and have had zero issues in the 2 years the tint has been on.

We love the look of the car, now we will see how the performance of the tint works out going forward.

That looks great. I am looking to go a little darker overall but I like the color of it. I agree on not wanting the brown/green of some tints that are popular.

The photo sync looks like a great choice but the place in Fremont is very pricey. I'm sure they do great work, but hard to justify the 2x price as compared to Pinnacle Ultimate.

I didn't get my Photosync at Premier and I paid basically the same price. The price isn't because of the shop, but the more expensive tint. It's well worth the money for the superior heat rejection. If you can't quite justify the money, there's the lower end tint by the same company that, from what I understand, still rejects more heat than anything else on the market aside from Photosync.

I just got my P85D done from Perfect Tint in Santa Ana. Wincos 45 in the rear, moonroof, and rear passenger windows and winces 70 in the front passenger windows. The 70 in the front seem very hazy and lots of glare from the interior dash etc. Are you experiencing the same with your windshield? Thanks in advance.

Hi guys. I've never had a car's windows tinted before (except a strip at the top of my GTI's windshield a long time ago - I believe it was 3M brand...is that good?). I'd like to do our red S85D with something Not extremely dark, but dark enough to give some privacy and protection against heat and uv rays fading the all black interior. (I'm thinking probably just the side windows, with perhaps something not noticeable on the front. Thinking the back is hard enough to see out of as it is...perhaps a partial tint strip above the road-line in the rearview mirror. I don't want to dig too deeply into the nuances - it seems there are many brands to choose from - is there a universally acclaimed one that pretty much everybody can get behind?

A couple questions:

1. I'm in the Napa Valley area - if anyone has any experience with a provider near here that they highly recommend I would love to hear about it.

2. Let's say I want to delete the tint at some point. Is there anything I should know - do different brands leave residue differently? Do they leave any residue?

Thanks,
tkizzy

I'm scheduled to get all windows done this Wednesday...what is the consensus on the Pano roof? It looked pretty UV protected from the factory, so I didn't consider getting it tinted (for heat mitigation reasons only). Do lots of people get the roof tinted as well?

I did get my pano done with 35%, and if I had a "do over" I wouldn't go that dark over the pano. I just did it with the mindset of "more is better, more heat rejection, etc." but it almost makes it too dark. Perhaps a 50 or 70% (whatever the exact percentage is), will still knock out a good bit of heat without making it too dark.

I just got my P85D done from Perfect Tint in Santa Ana. Wincos 45 in the rear, moonroof, and rear passenger windows and winces 70 in the front passenger windows. The 70 in the front seem very hazy and lots of glare from the interior dash etc. Are you experiencing the same with your windshield? Thanks in advance.

Yes I do notice some haze with the 70% on windshield, but only during overcast days. Polarize sunglasses seems to help a bit when you do see some haze.

The heat blockage property of these Wincos are amazing.

AHHHHH MY TINT LOOKS SO GOOD ON MY CAR!!! I couldn't be happier. They walked me back to the back to show me them applying it to the car and I instantly shouted "F*CK YES!"....lol all the techs in the shop stopped what they were doing and looked up with a scared face.

Went with Spectra PhotoSync (75 windshield / 55 front windows / 35 rear windows and back)

Absolute Perfection Window Tinting in Sykesville MD - can't say enough good things about these guys. I walk in and they (without asking) give me a tour of facility, show me all their products and equipment, introduce me to all the employees working (and the actual person doing my tint install), and tell me about all the big projects they are working on and all about the company history. Amazing company. I drove about 2 hours to get here - and would have easily driven 4 now knowing how good they are. They said on average they tint about 5 Teslas a week. I'm definitely coming back for the new Llumar self-healing paint film.

How much did it cost you?

all windows, trunk glass, and windshield was $850

IMG_5449.jpg

I have noticed that there is some ghosting effects on the windshield at night (i.e. Two sets of headlights, streetlights, etc.). It's a little bothersome but not too awful.

Audiofan, I haven't done any specific testing but I've seen videos out there that show before and after videos of interior temperatures. It does have a big effect. In other words, after a period of time the interior temp might be 108 degrees vs 140 degrees.

Have any Tesla
Model S owners with spectra photosync done instrumented before and after testing?

Yes, we have done tests. In conducting any demos / experiments, we have to make sure the conditions are as close as possible. We lined up 2 Teslas (both black) and tested the heat build up in the rear hatch:

Tesla's rear hatch glass is a laminated glass that has a metallic coating to it to reject some heat; however, even this is not enough from our findings.

Test Subjects - 2 Tesla Model S
Tesla 1 - factory laminated OEM Glass with metallic coating
Tesla 2 - Spectra PhotoSync 45 installed to the side glasses + rear hatch

30 Minute Test in the Rear Hatch with both vehicles side by side
Duration: 30 Minutes
Time of Test: 3:35 pm
Exterior Temperature: 88 degrees
Purpose: Compare air temperatures inside hatch between vehicle with no window film and the other with Spectra PhotoSync installed

Here are the two test mules:
attachment.php?attachmentid=280529&dateline=1379189661.jpg

Test Vehicle 1 - No Film
Start off at 84 degrees

attachment.php?attachmentid=280530&dateline=1379189661.jpg

In just 3 minutes the temperature rose to 92 degrees
attachment.php?attachmentid=280531&dateline=1379189661.jpg

Close to 7 minutes, the air temperature rises to 105 degrees
attachment.php?attachmentid=280532&dateline=1379189661.jpg

At the 15 minute marker, temperature is at an unbearable 123 degrees
attachment.php?attachmentid=280533&dateline=1379189661.jpg

26 Minutes - Temperature now reads 136 degrees
attachment.php?attachmentid=280534&dateline=1379189661.jpg

At the end of the 30 minute test, it is a scalding 140 degrees, which is the reason why leaving children in a vehicle can be a fatal mistake.
attachment.php?attachmentid=280535&dateline=1379189661.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Test Vehicle 2 with Spectra PhotoSync 45 installed to the side and rear hatch.

Test starts at 85 degrees

attachment.php?attachmentid=280582&dateline=1379192254.jpg

At the 15 minute marker, it is 96 degrees compared to Vehicle 1 at 123 degrees.

attachment.php?attachmentid=280583&dateline=1379192254.jpg

At the completion of the test at 31 Minutes, the Tesla Model S with Sepctra PhotoSync is at 104 degrees compared to 140 degrees in the other Tesla. This is a 36 degree differential in just half an hour!
attachment.php?attachmentid=280584&dateline=1379192254.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: audiofan and 1tsla