Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brought my car into Premier in Fremont today and they did an amazing job. Photosync 75% on the windshield and pano, and 35% on the rest. Heat reduction seems to be even better than the 3M I had on my Mercedes. The car is a little dirty, I don't have the sun shades in the pano, which would make it even darker.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

How are you like the L-mode? I've also had the 2 +s done by Premiere and with over 80k miles on the odometer, it feels like day 1 and these brutal summer months are only realized when I get into a non-photosynced car.

Loving L-mode! It's just nice having so much power all the time, even if I'm not maxing it out. Never have to worry about passing on the interstate or on a 35mph road, one tap and I'm where I need to be.

Couldn't agree more. Such a big difference in heat and I put in the sunshades too, which helps even more. I really like it more than 3M Crystalline I have on my Mercedes.

Brought my car into Premier in Fremont today and they did an amazing job. Photosync 75% on the windshield and pano, and 35% on the rest. Heat reduction seems to be even better than the 3M I had on my Mercedes. The car is a little dirty, I don't have the sun shades in the pano, which would make it even darker.

My horror story with Photosync:

I had mine done by one installer in my area and he could never get the front windshield right. The end result was eventual squiggly lines and blemishing. Neither the installer nor his Prestige contact could explain it. Removal of the film always left behind some adhesive residue and the installer eventually scratched the glass while replacing the film. Never again! After the 4th time, I gave up on this installer and decided to email Premier about it. Reasons for the issues were Tesla's highly curved glass requiring more heat than normal to shrink it to the glass. Poor application of the heat probably resulted in the deformation (squiggly lines). So I drove down to Prestige to get it done right where the they pointed out other flaws from my local installer's application. <sigh>

After Premier installed the front windshield, the squiggly images did come back, but were light and not as bad as the local installer's multiple tries and only occurred around the corners. It could only be noticed at night when the light hits the film at the correct angle. It was acceptable and I didn't notice it too much. However, the heat rejection is incredible on this film, so I'll be coming back to this film again.

It is definitely worth it to have an experienced Photosync installer do the work. And if they've done a large number of Model S's, even better. So Premier, I'll be calling you guys again when I pick up my P90DL this month. I'm going to get it done right this time.

After walking through this monster thread, and perusing a different one, I can see how a 3M Crystalline 40 in the rear window can give a purplish tint. Although I've read that something like a CR 50 *might* alleviate that purple tint, has there been anybody that can confirm this? Tinting on the Tesla appears straight forward enough, but this rear purple reflection issue still evades me somewhat (mostly because half of the people who have CR40 in the rears still don't see it!)

Thanks guys...

After walking through this monster thread, and perusing a different one, I can see how a 3M Crystalline 40 in the rear window can give a purplish tint. Although I've read that something like a CR 50 *might* alleviate that purple tint, has there been anybody that can confirm this? Tinting on the Tesla appears straight forward enough, but this rear purple reflection issue still evades me somewhat (mostly because half of the people who have CR40 in the rears still don't see it!)

Thanks guys...

I have 50% on my Mercedes and it has a strange hue to it. More purplish I would say, but not bad. I asked for 40% and they said it would look carbonish instead of black and looking at the samples in the shop I would agree. One big factor in Photosync for me was being able to have it be black at 35% and I'm a lot happier with it than I was with 3M.

My horror story with Photosync:

I had mine done by one installer in my area and he could never get the front windshield right. The end result was eventual squiggly lines and blemishing. Neither the installer nor his Prestige contact could explain it. Removal of the film always left behind some adhesive residue and the installer eventually scratched the glass while replacing the film. Never again! After the 4th time, I gave up on this installer and decided to email Premier about it. Reasons for the issues were Tesla's highly curved glass requiring more heat than normal to shrink it to the glass. Poor application of the heat probably resulted in the deformation (squiggly lines). So I drove down to Prestige to get it done right where the they pointed out other flaws from my local installer's application. <sigh>

After Premier installed the front windshield, the squiggly images did come back, but were light and not as bad as the local installer's multiple tries and only occurred around the corners. It could only be noticed at night when the light hits the film at the correct angle. It was acceptable and I didn't notice it too much. However, the heat rejection is incredible on this film, so I'll be coming back to this film again.

It is definitely worth it to have an experienced Photosync installer do the work. And if they've done a large number of Model S's, even better. So Premier, I'll be calling you guys again when I pick up my P90DL this month. I'm going to get it done right this time.

Dam. That was some stress you went through. I'm a Premiere customer and will be for as long as they remain in biz. I wouldn't use anyone else at this point as I've seen multi-million dollar cars roll through their shops everytime I'm there. Happy to hear that at least you had Premiere do the final photosync rework for you. I'm debating back n forth about the P90DL. Once I pull the trigger that car's going straight to them for clear armor and photosync.

Photosync 75 on the front windshield and 55 on the sides and rear. Didn't want dark windows, just the heat reduction. Definitely works great at cutting down on the heat in the cabin!

View attachment 93517View attachment 93518View attachment 93519

That looks good -- and you find the heat rejection at 55 is nearly the same as the darker? I'm much more interested in the heat rejection than darkening. But really​ interested in the heat rejection.

That looks good -- and you find the heat rejection at 55 is nearly the same as the darker? I'm much more interested in the heat rejection than darkening. But really​ interested in the heat rejection.

According to the data sheet, 55% provides the best IR rejection, but total solar rejection is best with Photo45 (which is apparently the 35%).
http://www.prestige-films.com/docs/Photosync_DataSheet.pdf

I got Photosync 35% on mine and I'm much happier with it than the 50% I got on my Mercedes. Different brands, but the darker film has helped block more sunlight while driving.

The heat rejection with the 55 is very good, in my opinion - but if you're interested in maximum heat rejection, then go for the 35. I drive out to the desert to see my girlfriend and the 55 is good enough to prevent that burning feeling on my left arm while driving!

After having Photosync for two years now, I can report back to all and say I am as happy as the day we picked up the car from Premier. Initially, I was concerned on how it looked and whether it is better than the other major brands. From looking at their specifications and comparing it to what we (wife and I) actually experience on a daily basis, we are 100% without a doubt happy with this tint. We just decided to upgrade to the X and looks like we are going to be into mid-Spring 2016. The first thing we will do is drop off the X for Photosync and the clear film at Premier. Thanks to this forum, we picked the right film and through the 100 degree days, we were still very comfortable.