Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
75% on pano, 75% on windshield, 35% on all side windows and hatch was ~$1600. It was money well spent IMHO

I did AirBlue 80 on the windshield and CTX 40 on all side windows and hatch for $450. It definitely is not as effective as the Photosync (I think about 10-15% less effective), but it's good enough for me at about 30% of the cost. In Phoenix and Miami, it may be worth getting the creme de la creme, but in Charlotte, Llumar's films were good enough. I can definitely tell the difference whenever I'm in a loaner.

Wow that is expensive for tint. I used Suntek Infinity CXP which provides about 40 to 45% heat rejection and my kids in the trunk are happy even when it is 40deg celcius. All in cost me $400.

There were several reasons I felt it was worth it.
- Photosync I have blocks 97.5% IR and 64.9% TSE
- IR blocking is important to me because the sun gets intense here.
- Noticeable HVAC difference with 3M, which was less effective than Photosync. My car temp is closer to HVAC temp than it was before (common complaint)
- Photosync can be darker than 3M (3M on my Mercedes was $700 cheaper, but looks worse)

I've noticed a difference over 3M. The sun is sometimes intense enough that it is really bad. When I took my Mercedes to get tinted my arm was burned during the drive... through the front windshield. I was never able to open the sunroof shade, but from then on I could leave it open and barely notice.

If I keep the car for 3 years... $1600/365/3 = $1.46/day. The increased comfort from blocked IR is worth way more to me than that.

There were several reasons I felt it was worth it.
- Photosync I have blocks 97.5% IR and 64.9% TSE
- IR blocking is important to me because the sun gets intense here.
- Noticeable HVAC difference with 3M, which was less effective than Photosync. My car temp is closer to HVAC temp than it was before (common complaint)
- Photosync can be darker than 3M (3M on my Mercedes was $700 cheaper, but looks worse)

I've noticed a difference over 3M. The sun is sometimes intense enough that it is really bad. When I took my Mercedes to get tinted my arm was burned during the drive... through the front windshield. I was never able to open the sunroof shade, but from then on I could leave it open and barely notice.

If I keep the car for 3 years... $1600/365/3 = $1.46/day. The increased comfort from blocked IR is worth way more to me than that.

I did the same as you. All windows and the top pano. From what I have seen on this thread, those who went with Photosync are very happy and same for those who got other tint brands. I was an engineer from a PV plant and I brought some samples of Photosync, Huper and 3m to compare. If I were to pay for this I wanted to make sure it performed. My colleague who ran it through our analyzer found that Photosync performed 15% better. In the solar array industry we are in, 10%+ is exceptional.

I also agree with Pete that most people with other tints do not do windshield, so this adds to the cost.

Getting AirBlue80 on my windshield ($150) while getting CTX on the windows and hatch ($300) was definitely worth it. The windshield is a huge piece of it. The pano always felt great before this, but now I notice the heat from the pano since everything else rejects it so well! That said, it's not intense from the pano, but I do notice it.

Getting AirBlue80 on my windshield ($150) while getting CTX on the windows and hatch ($300) was definitely worth it. The windshield is a huge piece of it. The pano always felt great before this, but now I notice the heat from the pano since everything else rejects it so well! That said, it's not intense from the pano, but I do notice it.

Yeah that pano wasn't bad. I figured that I would notice it and went ahead and did it to save time. I also keep the sunshades in my pano so that helps cut the light

image.jpeg

Photosync
75 windshield / 45 sides and back- left pano alone

Reactions: EMdoc12
Weird, show rightside up in Chrome (windows) and in safari (iphone). What browser are you using?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and random note for anyone looking to tine with 45, it does not feel very dark in the car. As i was worried how tint would feel coming from a non-tinted car.
Anyhow love the photosync.

Weird, show rightside up in Chrome (windows) and in safari (iphone). What browser are you using?
- - - Updated - - -

Oh and random note for anyone looking to tine with 45, it does not feel very dark in the car. As i was worried how tint would feel coming from a non-tinted car.
Chrome and Explorer display them upside down on my PC. They apparently do not respect the rotate field in the EXIF data.

I totally agree on 45 not feeling dark when in the car. Even at light, it does not really reduce visibility much at all.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI - It happens when you take the photo with the iphone with the buttons pointing up rather than down. Some software knows to correct it, others don't.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been meaning to add mine too just in case someone wants to search for it - this is Formula One Pinnacle 35 on all windows.
tesla p85d tint2.jpg

The amazing performance of Photosync is complimented by its high transparency. This is what makes this window film very unique. Prestige did release a nano-ceramic film earlier this year that does not garner as much attention as it should. This film's performance is only 2nd to PhotoSync. The shades available for Prestige's CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic is 73, 45, 33, and 20. It also costs approximately 20% less than Spectra Photosync.

Below is a demo we did just like the one we did for Photosync. Below with CeraLuxe 45:

1_zpscgjocd1h.jpg

2%20Results_zpsgphoyppu.jpg

The performance is complimented by Premier Mobile, and complemented by its transparency.

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled advertisement.

Actually I personally am appreciative of Premier's tests and likely speak for many MS owners here as well. Their test with Photosynch was an eye opener for me about how well this stuff works and validated my investment into Photosynch for our two +s.

Can anyone share any advice on the difference between 3m CS, Suntek CXP, Johnson InsulatIR or any LLUMAR tint ?

I was originally getting the 3m then found out about the CXP but the reviews seem hit or miss but I like the extra heat resistance and the IR rating. Crystalline over here is really expensive so unfortunately not an option.

My installer recently started doing the Johnson InsulatIR for an extra $50 over the CXP and they're now carrying the LLUMAR range but they didn't tell me which product of theres.

I live in the desert so I want something which offers the best heat resistance whilst being black in color.

Thanks !