Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was very helpful to look through the photos on this forum prior to getting my tint done, so wanted to share some of my photos. Formula One Pinnacle 30 all around.

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

Nice. Did you do the windshield as well? Mine is scheduled to go in tomorrow and I still don't know quite what all I want, but i know today there was a lot of trouble cooling the kid in the front seat with no tint. That a/c just doesn't really blow very hard, does it? So the sun reject seems very important. But the pano seems to be very well tinted to me.

Nice. Did you do the windshield as well? Mine is scheduled to go in tomorrow and I still don't know quite what all I want, but i know today there was a lot of trouble cooling the kid in the front seat with no tint. That a/c just doesn't really blow very hard, does it? So the sun reject seems very important. But the pano seems to be very well tinted to me.

Probably late to chime in since it went in yesterday, but the heat rejection of something like Photosync makes a huge difference. Just having my window all the way up vs cracked when driving with the sun to the side is night and day. I had every piece of glass tinted and glad I did.

As for the cooling, it is a few degrees off. I think 3 is what I noticed. So bump it down 3 more and it should feel like it does in other vehicles. I noticed that after having photosync installed it was more like 1 off, but I haven't looked lately.

Probably late to chime in since it went in yesterday, but the heat rejection of something like Photosync makes a huge difference. Just having my window all the way up vs cracked when driving with the sun to the side is night and day. I had every piece of glass tinted and glad I did.

As for the cooling, it is a few degrees off. I think 3 is what I noticed. So bump it down 3 more and it should feel like it does in other vehicles. I noticed that after having photosync installed it was more like 1 off, but I haven't looked lately.

I am bringing mine in tomorrow morning for Photosync on side windows and rear window. I'm on the fence about the front windshield at the moment, but really want to get it done given the Texas heat we have. I believe the place I'm taking it to recommended Solar Gard Ultra Performance (clear, or close to it for IR/heat blocking) on the front windshield. I really want to get the front windshield done and my big concerns are:

-Polarization, rather how a treated front windshield reacts to viewing with polarized sunglasses, which I wear all the time. Don't mind the rainbow distortions on the side windows, but concerned that would be a huge issue on the front.
-Light/viewing distortion due to the film/angle of the windshield.

Any feedback on the above concerns would be greatly appreciated from anyone that has had either product (Photosync or Solar Gard Ultra) applied to their front windshield!

Thanks

I am bringing mine in tomorrow morning for Photosync on side windows and rear window. I'm on the fence about the front windshield at the moment, but really want to get it done given the Texas heat we have. I believe the place I'm taking it to recommended Solar Gard Ultra Performance (clear, or close to it for IR/heat blocking) on the front windshield. I really want to get the front windshield done and my big concerns are:

-Polarization, rather how a treated front windshield reacts to viewing with polarized sunglasses, which I wear all the time. Don't mind the rainbow distortions on the side windows, but concerned that would be a huge issue on the front.
-Light/viewing distortion due to the film/angle of the windshield.

Any feedback on the above concerns would be greatly appreciated from anyone that has had either product (Photosync or Solar Gard Ultra) applied to their front windshield!

Thanks

You will notice a slight purple distortion in the windshield, but you get used to it quickly. I don't even notice it anymore. I never got used to it with 3M crystalline and it was never as bad with Photosync. I wear prescription polarized sunglasses daily. I've had no problems with the windshield tinted. I love it.

Thanks. I re-read everything and spoke with the guys at Monumental Workx who have done tons of Teslas and were in fact doing 3 that very day. I went with the Photosync 35 on all windows and 65 on windshield and pano. Between that and the new a/c upgrade, it's much better than before. How DOES software upgrade an a/c anyway?? Curiouser and curiouser.

How DOES software upgrade an a/c anyway?? Curiouser and curiouser.

My guess would be is it runs the compressor harder/longer while reducing fan speed. There are posters that said they regularly turn on range mode (which limits fan speed to 7 from 11) and then put temp on LO. I suspect something along those lines is what Tesla did to improve efficiency. So slower, but colder air than it used to do. Plus they likely tweaked the algorithms that decide how hard he compressor should work compared to ambient and external temp.

Thanks. I re-read everything and spoke with the guys at Monumental Workx who have done tons of Teslas and were in fact doing 3 that very day. I went with the Photosync 35 on all windows and 65 on windshield and pano. Between that and the new a/c upgrade, it's much better than before. How DOES software upgrade an a/c anyway?? Curiouser and curiouser.

The temperature should have been easily fixable. It was able to know what the interior temp was, but it was always off from the setting. How they made it "use less power" I have no idea.

OK I have a very basic question. Are films like photosync applied to the outside of the car or the inside?

Additional note about Photosync and Crystalline. They take time to set in, so you have to be careful about touching the film. for photosync it was 2 weeks, for crystalline it was like a month (hints of something about the coating on the film were mentioned when I asked why that was). Depends on how much time it spends in the sun, but the heat reflective aspect of it means it takes longer to set.

Additional note about Photosync and Crystalline. They take time to set in, so you have to be careful about touching the film. for photosync it was 2 weeks, for crystalline it was like a month (hints of something about the coating on the film were mentioned when I asked why that was). Depends on how much time it spends in the sun, but the heat reflective aspect of it means it takes longer to set.

Yes, do be careful with your tint right after installation. My tint shop warned me not to stick anything like a suction cup mount to the windshield for at least a week!