Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone in SoCal who's interested we are offering deals on window tint. PM me for details.
rsz_img_1938.jpg

rsz_img_1935.jpg

My installer, Premiere confirmed it's made in Japan
prestige-films.com

Have Photosync on 3 Model Ss now with one going back to 2013. Love it. Doesn't get hot at all and not have the reflectiveness from Huper on my BMW. Also on the triple digit months of summer, it is noticeably cooler in my Tesla compared to my M3 with Huper

After reading through 80+ pages of this thread, it seems PhotoSync installers are in Washington, California, Texas, and the DC area.

Does anyone have experience with an installer in the Midwest?

A year ago I contacted the distributor, and they gave me http://midwaykustoms.com in Chicago. Well, that low-rider custom shop in the sketchy neighborhood website has been down for some time. I'm guessing they are no more.

I'm in the Minneapolis area, and would be willing to travel 800 miles or so each way for a shop that has experience tinting the MS with PhotoSync.

Anyone had issues with Photosync on the windshield? I'm wondering if the heat rejection will still be adequate (with pre-cooling) in summer if I get Photosync 75 on side windows and 65 on back and don't put anything on the windshield.

Anyone had issues with Photosync on the windshield? I'm wondering if the heat rejection will still be adequate (with pre-cooling) in summer if I get Photosync 75 on side windows and 65 on back and don't put anything on the windshield.

I have Llumar CTX all around and Llumar AirBlue on the front windshield (all ceramic basically). Not as effective as the photo sync, but I could totally feel the heat coming off the pano (even with Tesla's factory coating) when the rest had the tinting. The heat rejection properties are very noticeable. Thus, I think you will feel the heat coming into the windshield like I felt it on my ears through the pano. Perhaps others will chime in, but I would highly recommend getting the windshield done.

I have the same tint all around and just got AirBlue on the front. Love it!

I have Llumar CTX all around and Llumar AirBlue on the front windshield (all ceramic basically). Not as effective as the photo sync, but I could totally feel the heat coming off the pano (even with Tesla's factory coating) when the rest had the tinting. The heat rejection properties are very noticeable. Thus, I think you will feel the heat coming into the windshield like I felt it on my ears through the pano. Perhaps others will chime in, but I would highly recommend getting the windshield done.

From all the pics I see it doesn't look like any of the windows are tinted. Is anyone planning on, or has anyone already done any aftermarket window tinting on their model S? I was thinking of doing 5% on the rear windows and back seat windows and possibly 15-25% on the front driver and passenger windows. What do you think? It helps keep the sun out, would protect kids from sunburn if I get the rear child seats, protects leather, keeps peering eyes from seeing a huge 17" touchscreen that someone might be tempted to break in and rip it out....

I got 75% visible light transmittance all around. Clear enough that police won't cite for driver's window and top quality 75% films reduce IR and UV transmission by about 90%.

Anyone have pictures of their model S black using 35% photosync all the way around? Would be really great to see so I can pinpoint if I like the look or not. I am leaning towards nano ceramic where I can go as dark as 15% which I love the privacy and the kids can sleep in the back peacefully. But with photosync really like the pros of heat rejection even tho I can not get it as dark :/

Here's mine with photosync 75 on the windscreen and 35 on the doors. We love it esp when it hits 100+ degrees during the summer. Had photosync since 2013 and no issues whatsoever. The windscreen is an absolute must because of the large exposure to the sun.

Attachments

• 20140609_103253_resized.jpg
    20140609_103253_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 331
  • 20140609_102033_resized.jpg
    20140609_102033_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 325
  • 20140307_082024.jpg
    20140307_082024.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 311
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 329
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 321
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 312
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 352
Here's mine with photosync 75 on the windscreen and 35 on the doors. We love it esp when it hits 100+ degrees during the summer. Had photosync since 2013 and no issues whatsoever. The windscreen is an absolute must because of the large exposure to the sun.

Not bad lloyds! Appreciate it, I'm thinking of going the darker route but with the most heat rejection I can buy. My Honda Pilot has 15% all around and love the privacy and sun blocking for my kids who are 3 and 1.

Not bad lloyds! Appreciate it, I'm thinking of going the darker route but with the most heat rejection I can buy. My Honda Pilot has 15% all around and love the privacy and sun blocking for my kids who are 3 and 1.

If you want to go darker, this is a very good option using Ceraluxe. The technology is similar to Photosynch and made by the same company as well, so you know it is a very high quality and stable product. I had the Ceraluxe 20% put to rear and 45% on the front and their 75% to the windshield. I could not justify spending the Photosynch money on our Honda Accord, but the Ceraluxe has very impressive numbers and from comparison only second to Photosynch.

Has a very nice color and gives a good amount of privacy with the 20% for the back side. I personally like it along with my wife. From the inside looking out, it is not noticeable about it at all, which is the same from our experience with Photosynch.

Attachments

• 20140910_115104.jpg
    20140910_115104.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 20140910_115111.jpg
    20140910_115111.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 262
  • 20140910_115118.jpg
    20140910_115118.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 20140910_115135.jpg
    20140910_115135.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 20140910_115304.jpg
    20140910_115304.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 20140910_115314.jpg
    20140910_115314.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 20140910_115324.jpg
    20140910_115324.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 235
I am going to do my own. Not sure how dark or if I will do the front doors (since it is illegal in CA if it isn't from the factory)
Frameless windows are simple to do and the rear looks like it will be easy too. ~$100 for the best tint you can get

Did you end up doing your own windows? I did that WAY back when I was 17 yo but I don't think I'd even think about doing it myself on MS!

So, not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but going to ask anyway . . .

Has anyone tinted the pano roof? I realize there is a factory tint to the glass, but I'm curious if additional tint may be needed for places like CA and FL.
Yes, some people have tinted the pano -- comments from others upthread. Some did it "just because" everything else was in being tinted, others because they had personal intent. I elected not to do my pano given the UV and heat rejection built-in to the OEM pano itself and have not been disappointed in my decision running around here in SoCal, So Nevada and AZ, but you could. ...but I did have Photosync 55 applied on sides and rear and nothing on the windshield or pano. I remain happy with my decision.

Personally, I don't think you're going to come to any conclusion on the pano from comments here -- I didn't. My suggestion is, tint the sides and rear. Hold off on the pano until the heat begins and then decide for yourself. It may save you a couple hundred bucks that way.

Reactions: chriSharek
Yes, some people have tinted the pano -- comments from others upthread. Some did it "just because" everything else was in being tinted, others because they had personal intent. I elected not to do my pano given the UV and heat rejection built-in to the OEM pano itself and have not been disappointed in my decision running around here in SoCal, So Nevada and AZ, but you could. ...but I did have Photosync 55 applied on sides and rear and nothing on the windshield or pano. I remain happy with my decision.

Personally, I don't think you're going to come to any conclusion on the pano from comments here -- I didn't. My suggestion is, tint the sides and rear. Hold off on the pano until the heat begins and then decide for yourself. It may save you a couple hundred bucks that way.

Thanks Bert. As usual, good advice from you. Getting my baby on Tuesday. I haven't made the appointment to get it tinted yet, but probably will at some point. Maybe I'll do as you suggested and get the sides and back done first, see how it is, and then decide if the roof needs it. Did you go with a ceramic tint? I am looking at either the Llumar ceramic or the newer 3M Crystalline.