Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Windshield cracks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I've got a 2017 Model S 75D with the cold weather package and live in the Greater Toronto Area. About two weeks ago, I was driving with the front windshield defog on Hi and the windshield heater on. Outside temp was -3 C and all of a sudden I had a crack in the windshield right across the lower driver's side where the defog hits the windshield. I assumed it was a stone chip, but couldn't find any impact. Contacted Tesla Service in Toronto and booked an appointment to take it in for inspection, which happens to be tomorrow. This past Tuesday, I had left the car at a GO parking lot outside for the day and while I was defogging the windshield to drive home, i,e, not moving, the passenger side cracked in a similar fashion. This was definitely not a stone chip! Outside temp was about -2C and same routine with the defogger. Anyone have a similar experience? I am ok to go through insurance if it is legitimately a stone chip but these seem to be a defect to me.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Yep, the first time I tried using the preconditioning with outside temps just below freezing I got three vertical cracks in the windshield. No chips, just cracks.

Bjørn Nyland got a massive crack in his windshield but that seems to have been from a stone chip.

Tesla did replace it free, but only after trying to charge me for it. Ultimately they chalked it up to "goodwill" rather than warranty. I just wish I had taken pictures.

I had the same issue. 2018 Model S from Sept. 3 weeks ago I turned on the defog and the windshield cracked. Tesla is claiming a rock chip. The shape of the crack is too odd. The car was in for other service and I wanted this taken care of at the same time. I've told them i need them to have the glass company ensure that it will be covered by insurance. I really don't want to pay the deductible if its a defect.

Attachments

• IMG_5994.JPG
    IMG_5994.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,000
I had the same issue. 2018 Model S from Sept. 3 weeks ago I turned on the defog and the windshield cracked. Tesla is claiming a rock chip. The shape of the crack is too odd. The car was in for other service and I wanted this taken care of at the same time. I've told them i need them to have the glass company ensure that it will be covered by insurance. I really don't want to pay the deductible if its a defect.

If it were a rock chip there would be a spot where the chip occurred, most likely at the starting point of the crack although it could have propagated in both directions and so be anywhere along the crack. Still, if they can't show you signs of a chip, they have no leg to stand on. Forget the insurance. That can impact your rates. If they can't show you the rock impact, tell them they have to cover it under warranty. Otherwise they can claim anything is not warranty.

This is the same story with me. In March, my windshield cracked due to cold weather, I paid $1200 to Tesla and today in the morning it cracked again and Tesla is not covering it under warranty and telling me there was a previous crack which I have pictures that there was nothing showing like a rock chip or something like that. This is so sad to hear a total untrue statement from Tesla service personal . But what can I do? There is no one who can replace Model S windshield but TESLA. and they already charged my CC.
I am suppose to return the car in February for a new Tesla but I have to reconsider my thought as this is pure monopoly by Tesla.
Any suggestions?

Yep, the first time I tried using the preconditioning with outside temps just below freezing I got three vertical cracks in the windshield. No chips, just cracks.

Bjørn Nyland got a massive crack in his windshield but that seems to have been from a stone chip.

Tesla did replace it free, but only after trying to charge me for it. Ultimately they chalked it up to "goodwill" rather than warranty. I just wish I had taken pictures.

The same thing happened to me today. Friday my passenger side windshield cracked, and yesterday when I got in the car with my wife the driver side windshield cracked right in front of us. i am in Toronto as well and the temperature was -14. I always preheat my car before i use it. My car is model S 2018.

Hi there, I've got a 2017 Model S 75D with the cold weather package and live in the Greater Toronto Area. About two weeks ago, I was driving with the front windshield defog on Hi and the windshield heater on. Outside temp was -3 C and all of a sudden I had a crack in the windshield right across the lower driver's side where the defog hits the windshield. I assumed it was a stone chip, but couldn't find any impact. Contacted Tesla Service in Toronto and booked an appointment to take it in for inspection, which happens to be tomorrow. This past Tuesday, I had left the car at a GO parking lot outside for the day and while I was defogging the windshield to drive home, i,e, not moving, the passenger side cracked in a similar fashion. This was definitely not a stone chip! Outside temp was about -2C and same routine with the defogger. Anyone have a similar experience? I am ok to go through insurance if it is legitimately a stone chip but these seem to be a defect to me.

I dismissed it the first time on a 2018 model S, but exactly a year later the same scenario. Both times it happened the same way, start high heat from the app, go out a half hour later and get in the car to find a crack. Both times on the previous use of the car, there was nothing. Not sure what to do this time, I don't feel the Tesla is supporting people the way it used to. I have a 5-year-old model x that has had to have almost a complete new front end all out of pocket. not just maintenance items but the full front suspension as well, also under suspicious circumstances.

My garage is temporarily unavailable, so I had to park outside last night here in Colorado. Woke up at 7am (still dark!) and preheated the car, only to come out to find a massive (2 ft long) crack in the windshield. There was nothing wrong with it last night when we parked. So now I suppose Tesla will tell me this is my fault and I owe $1000-2000 for the replacement. Ugh.

My garage is temporarily unavailable, so I had to park outside last night here in Colorado. Woke up at 7am (still dark!) and preheated the car, only to come out to find a massive (2 ft long) crack in the windshield. There was nothing wrong with it last night when we parked. So now I suppose Tesla will tell me this is my fault and I owe $1000-2000 for the replacement. Ugh.

My X developed THREE cracks the same way. They didn't repair it under warranty, but when I insisted they covered it under "goodwill". It was $1,400. I think it's funny they thought three cracks could simultaneously happen from stone chipping.

Happened to my 2017 model S this week.
Just got update cold temperature improvement.
I used preheat.
A u shape windshield cracked
Not covered under warranty. Avoid preheat use.

It's not just preheat, it's any use of the defrosters. This is the sort of problem you expect from a california based auto company who has not been in business many years. Tesla does great with batteries and motors. Give them 40 or 50 years and they may learn how to design the rest of the car.

Reactions: CFinVancouver
It's not just preheat, it's any use of the defrosters. This is the sort of problem you expect from a california based auto company who has not been in business many years. Tesla does great with batteries and motors. Give them 40 or 50 years and they may learn how to design the rest of the car.
That I’ll call BS on. Had a Model X for 4 years before I had an issue with my windshield. If it was the defrosters, it would have been annually.

Reactions: cdswm3 and Tz00
That I’ll call BS on. Had a Model X for 4 years before I had an issue with my windshield. If it was the defrosters, it would have been annually.

Wait, are you saying that the defroster use broke your windshield, but because it didn't happen the first year it's not a flaw? I guess I was lucky in that my defective windshield broke the first winter. Trouble is no one who has this problem once is ever going to create the conditions for it to happen a second time.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Wait, are you saying that the defroster use broke your windshield, but because it didn't happen the first year it's not a flaw? I guess I was lucky in that my defective windshield broke the first winter. Trouble is no one who has this problem once is ever going to create the conditions for it to happen a second time.
No, I’m saying if it was JUST the defroster, then windshields would break annually. Since they don’t, there’s more to it.

No, I’m saying if it was JUST the defroster, then windshields would break annually. Since they don’t, there’s more to it.

Yes, I agree. It is a bad design of the windshield and defroster combination. The windshield is huge and the defroster only heats a portion of it. That creates local stress from the different expansion at different temperatures. The natural variation in production of the windshield is what causes some to break and others not.

This is one of the many things about Teslas that you will not see in car brands that have been made for many years. They have gained instututional knowledge of what to avoid in designing autos to prevent mistakes like this. Of course, no auto maker is without errors, but some are just so obvious.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
The problem is that the windshield defroster resistive heat comes on immediately full blast onto a cold glass. It wouldn't take any "gained institutional knowledge" for a simple software tweak to either first heat the interior to gradually warm up the windshield or let the defroster heat warm up gradually.

Yes, I agree. It is a bad design of the windshield and defroster combination. The windshield is huge and the defroster only heats a portion of it. That creates local stress from the different expansion at different temperatures. The natural variation in production of the windshield is what causes some to break and others not.

This is one of the many things about Teslas that you will not see in car brands that have been made for many years. They have gained instututional knowledge of what to avoid in designing autos to prevent mistakes like this. Of course, no auto maker is without errors, but some are just so obvious.
Last I checked, every car has a front windshield defroster…….