Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S windshield wiper upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I recall, there was another thread about the nozzles a couple of years ago, and it was pointed out that the nozzles are different depending upon whether or not you have the sub-zero winter package. If the car has that package, the nozzles have the heaters in them, and can't be interchanged with the type that "fans" out the spray. So the conclusion then was, as I recall, that the fan spray was not an option for the heated nozzles. (I remember it that way because I have the heated nozzles so i concluded I could not get better nozzles and relied on the SC to adjust the nozzles.)

Anyone know if the situation is any different now?

No different now, I cannot upgrade my 2014 with subzero unless I am ok with no heated nozzels. I dont think fan spray nozzels will do me any good if they are frozen so still keeping the heated jet nozzles.

And then the wipers chatter like crazy. I tried RainX and it did not help at all. I had a mobile tech come and adjust the wipers, but all he did was bend the wiper arm so that it applies more pressure to the windsheild. It helped, but only a little.

I'm going to try new blades, and manually adjusting the sprayer.

I use RainX on our Model S and it helps a little..I was forced to replace my blades a few weeks ago because the passenger blade was tearing. I switched to the Michelin Stealth Blades and they work better. Maybe you should try rubbing the rubber part of the blades with the RainX (thats what I do).

Strange, but you are correct, at least for PIAA. Their fitment guide lists part numbers for 2012-2015, then only 2018, skipping 2016/17.
Older cars were 28”/18” (driver/passenger) and 2018 cars are 26”/18”. Can you take a pic of your current blades to show what type of adapter/mount is used? Maybe that’s the limiting factor.
I have the 28/18.
Picked them up at PIAA in Portland OR.
They installed on my 2017 MS.
I moved them to my 2018 MS last week after calling them about the 26” indication and asking about Model 3 compatibility.
28” still a perfect fit on 2018 MS.
Identical size to that factory blades I replaced.
I’m nearly certain the 26” was a typo and I informed them to that effect.
FYI no Model 3 options.
I highly recommend the PIAA wipers. Big improvement. Massively smoother.
I now also clean all my glass with Rain-x 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner + Rain Repellent, which also helps. The repellent reems to be temporary and washes off as soon I wash my car again.
Rain-X 5071268 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner and Rain Repellant - 23 oz., 2- Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH0KEDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2C47BbBC3K7G9

I do not use or recommend any dedicated hydrophobic coatings.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueRocket
The early Model S came with the dual spray nozzles on both sides of the windshield. Our 2012 S required frequent adjustment to keep the spray hitting in a usable place on the windshield, and periodically requiring manual adjustment to get them back to a usable spot.

Later Model S come with fan spray nozzles, that don't appear to require any adjustment, since they hit such a wide area on the windshield.

If you have one of the early Model S with the dual spray nozzles, you can have the Service Center replace those nozzles with the newer fan spray versions. Did this on our 2012 S - and after that, never had any issues with the sprays.
Per Service, the fan nozzles are not adjustable. I had spray nozzles changed for fan nozzles. The driver's side fan spray is too low. Service said there is nothing they could do to raise it, as the fan nozzles are not adjustable. Has that changed?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Your car is under warranty. They will replace and adjust these things for you if you ask. While under warranty you should not have to do a thing. I get my car serviced also. Last 12,500 they replaced the wipers. I took it back as the factory wipers worked great I said. They replace the ones they just put in and got them to work perfect. The washer has always worked perfect. Let them adjust these things like sprayers. Make life easy on yourself, you paid now let them do what they do. If its not right, take it back.
Just took my mdl S to the service center for the same, ongoing stuttering wiper. They said it’s normal. Escalated to the service manager. No better. So sad!

Just took my mdl S to the service center for the same, ongoing stuttering wiper. They said it’s normal. Escalated to the service manager. No better. So sad!
The only times I can remember wipers stuttering was when they were either worn or the windshield was nearly dry. Probably a good cleaning would help, too.
But new blades, such as Bisch Ikons, should help.

The Bosch Icon aftermarkets that folks here recommended fixed the chattering issues I posed above. Totally worth replacing the stock wipers.

I will give it a go, although my MS sounds like if the whole wiper system was about to self destruct. It literally startled me the first time I used it. In the meantime, my i3’s wipers sound buttery smooth. One of those little things that reminds you that Tesla still has some growing up to do...

The Bosch Icon aftermarkets that folks here recommended fixed the chattering issues I posed above. Totally worth replacing the stock wipers.
Appologies, I bought the PIAA, not the Bosch. (Model numbers in the attached)

Attachments

• DD6FC212-6338-449A-B0F8-483B8EE7AFF9.png
    DD6FC212-6338-449A-B0F8-483B8EE7AFF9.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 210
Appologies, I bought the PIAA, not the Bosch. (Model numbers in the attached)
Confirming these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8MDZZP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

and these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BT8DJG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thank you for posting. I'm on my 4th Model S and although Tesla has continually improved them the wipers have always been a sore spot for me. Sheeesh-Ka-Chunk, Sheesh-Ka-Chunk...... Yes, I've been to service, yes I tried window treatments like RainX.

I'm hopeful again, thank you.

Confirming these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8MDZZP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

and these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BT8DJG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thank you for posting. I'm on my 4th Model S and although Tesla has continually improved them the wipers have always been a sore spot for me. Sheeesh-Ka-Chunk, Sheesh-Ka-Chunk...... Yes, I've been to service, yes I tried window treatments like RainX.

I'm hopeful again, thank you.

Yes these are the exact ones I bought.

Im also using rainx washer fluid additive. Drove 400 miles to SC all in rain last weekend and the wipers were great.

Does anyone know if the “intermittent wipers” is still in beta on the MS? They really don’t work at all on my 2018 MS. Just wondering if I will see improvement in the future, or if I’m stuck with what I have long term.
If you mean Autowipers, I turned that off and just use the intermittent settings. The autowipers are too aggressive for me.

Reactions: quickstrike12