Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I purchased a new Model S in November 2020 and absolutely love the car. However, I see a lot of complaints about how poorly the wiper blades work and I couldn’t agree more. When I try to use the wiper fluid to clean the windshield it mostly leaves smearing of the accumulated dirt I’m trying to remove. Been decades since I’ve driven a car with wipers that performed this poorly.

I’m wondering if anyone has had any better luck with after market wipers they could recommend?

Many thanks for any help.

I picked up my 2021 LR+ in December and can say the same, the jets have really poor spread pattern and pressure. On top of that the wipers suck, to aid that though I’ve added a ceramic coating to the windshield which helps with cleaning and water removal. Will try taking it in for the jets and change the blades.

Hello,

I purchased a new Model S in November 2020 and absolutely love the car. However, I see a lot of complaints about how poorly the wiper blades work and I couldn’t agree more. When I try to use the wiper fluid to clean the windshield it mostly leaves smearing of the accumulated dirt I’m trying to remove. Been decades since I’ve driven a car with wipers that performed this poorly.

I’m wondering if anyone has had any better luck with after market wipers they could recommend?

It may be the crud and oil on the windshield. Wipers can't erase oil or proteins from bird poop. Try giving the glass a good cleaning, including the rubber on the wipers, then try again. To your question, I have cheap aftermarket wipers and they work just fine. They are all over amazon, $12 - $20, I forgot which I have.

There are videos out there that show you how to adjust the spray - something that should be done when changing blades or periodically checked. That adjustment is on the blade. Previous sprays on other cars were attached to the car. This is more accurate and prevents spraying the car behind you at higher speeds.

Teslas with the winter package including heated spray have 4 nozzle jets, 2 per side, attached under the frunk hood. Very hard to get to and adjust, but I bought a tool from Amazon that helped a little. My car is a June 2020 S Long Range +.
Amazon: OTC 4658 Windshield Spray Nozzle Needle

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Hello,

I got mine the same month you did but I suspect that has nothing to do with the problem. I found 3 things contributing to the wipers juddering and skipping so badly that driving in the rain was borderline dangerous. I did not have issues with the spray pattern. The first was that the windshield was not clean. There was some kind of film on the windshield that glass cleaner would not remove (I suspect something from the factory not remove at delivery time, and easily visible as a film from inside the car). Using a detailing clay bar and finishing with alcohol finally removed it. No longer smearing but still skipping. Tesla came to my garage and changed the blades stating that there was nothing else they could do. Better on the passenger's side, not really an improvement on the driver's side. What cured the skipping was to bend the wiper arms to be parallel to the windshield (and the blade now perpendicular). Put the wipers into the service position and place a straight edge across the arm. You will probably find that the straight edge is a decent ways from parallel. Protect the arm and carefully bend the arms to be parallel (don't play Godzilla, go slowly and check). Part of the charm of having a Tesla. Sometimes they can't quite get the little things correct.