Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S wireless charger (finally)

Shadious

Jan 11, 2018
Florida
I have been looking for a wireless phone charger for quite some time. The only ones I have seen take up the whole covered compartment and I did not want to lose that space. I found this item in a FB forum and so far so good. Once I get to drive again, I’ll be able to see how quickly it charges.

I did not get anything for my review, just trying to pass on some information on a cool product.
www.greenmissionstore.com
For 15% discount use code “Teslatips”
CA6146CB-E6CB-46B0-B0CB-EEBC5CA3E0E4.jpeg C85921B6-F427-44BF-B424-2223645861AE.jpeg FF622611-2BD4-4BAA-9BD3-C406D89037FC.jpeg

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
I've ordered the dual charger option, which was only a few $ more.

If this works, it'll be a huge improvement over trying to line up the USB port at the bottom of the phone to get it to sit on the USB phone charging dock!

Reactions: Gt1948

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
I have been looking for a wireless phone charger for quite some time. The only ones I have seen take up the whole covered compartment and I did not want to lose that space. I found this item in a FB forum and so far so good. Once I get to drive again, I’ll be able to see how quickly it charges.

I did not get anything for my review, just trying to pass on some information on a cool product.
www.greenmissionstore.com
For 15% discount use code “Teslatips”
View attachment 534609 View attachment 534610 View attachment 534612

Please don't support these kind of companies. They stand against everything that 3D printing should be. A wireless charging pad is at most $10 and the material used to print that small part is negligible. Then they slap a $66 price on it just because it's going in a Tesla.

Haven't seen if they disclose what type of material they're using but I bet it's not on the higher end so on a very hot day, I fully expect that part to lose its shape in the car.

Shadious

Jan 11, 2018
Florida
Please don't support these kind of companies. They stand against everything that 3D printing should be. A wireless charging pad is at most $10 and the material used to print that small part is negligible. Then they slap a $66 price on it just because it's going in a Tesla.

Haven't seen if they disclose what type of material they're using but I bet it's not on the higher end so on a very hot day, I fully expect that part to lose its shape in the car.
Unfortunately no other companies have come up with a more compelling option. Please show me a better one and I’ll consider purchasing it. I agree that 3 D printing is not the best option, but this is a new company and they are just starting out. Maybe in time they will be able to mass produce these another way. Plus, there are lots of 3D printed items out there for sale. As for the material, I have no clue what is considered good or bad. I’ll let you know if it melts in the sun , fingers crossed, since I am in Florida...

Reactions: ‘Merica

Shadious

Jan 11, 2018
Florida
My initial reaction is it's useful but kinda pricey for a 3D print of such small/simple design.
I agree, but it was shipped from over seas for free and really there aren’t many great options out there. It’s odd since the model S has been around for such a long time...

bandido

Apr 16, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Unfortunately no other companies have come up with a more compelling option. Please show me a better one and I’ll consider purchasing it. I agree that 3 D printing is not the best option, but this is a new company and they are just starting out. Maybe in time they will be able to mass produce these another way. Plus, there are lots of 3D printed items out there for sale. As for the material, I have no clue what is considered good or bad. I’ll let you know if it melts in the sun , fingers crossed, since I am in Florida...

I have posted my "system" in the forums a few times, There is no perfect one, but the one I using is pretty good. My concern with the one you have listed is the "claws" that hang out over the top lid.
I used the one by ReturnZero from thingaverse. Tesla Phone Qi Dock by ReturnZero
I am no 3d printing guru. There are multiple file options to choose based upon your phone and case configuration. I used the "iphone 8 plus file/variant for apple case" for my Iphone XS Max with apple case. I actually had someone print it for me. www.printathing.com It cost about $30 and I had them use ABS plastic for heat resistance. It is actually not that cheap buy a good 3d printer to print as well as these people will do for you. The EnergyPad Qi ultra slim fits inside nicely and is ~$20.00. To help the look, I "wrapped" it with some 3M 1080 satin black I had laying around.

Here are a couple of pictures...
Charger4.jpg
Charger 3.jpg
Charger 2.jpg
Charger 1.jpg

Reactions: Gt1948

Shadious

Jan 11, 2018
Florida
I have posted my "system" in the forums a few times, There is no perfect one, but the one I using is pretty good. My concern with the one you have listed is the "claws" that hang out over the top lid.
I used the one by ReturnZero from thingaverse. Tesla Phone Qi Dock by ReturnZero
I am no 3d printing guru. There are multiple file options to choose based upon your phone and case configuration. I used the "iphone 8 plus file/variant for apple case" for my Iphone XS Max with apple case. I actually had someone print it for me. www.printathing.com It cost about $30 and I had them use ABS plastic for heat resistance. It is actually not that cheap buy a good 3d printer to print as well as these people will do for you. The EnergyPad Qi ultra slim fits inside nicely and is ~$20.00. To help the look, I "wrapped" it with some 3M 1080 satin black I had laying around.

View attachment 534852 View attachment 534853 View attachment 534854 View attachment 534856
Looks nice, can the lid close with it installed? Mine closes and I really like that. I have a wrap on the console cover, so not too worried about it scratching. Funny, the item you made was just about the same price as the one I ordered. Hopefully mine will hold up...

bandido

Apr 16, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
4BD6E4BB-0436-45A7-A18D-77B498FE11F3.jpeg
It closes nicely, I agree the biggest issue is that we all are looking for a cool factory option, I live in Arizona, so I will see how mine holds up to the heat, I’ve only had it in the car for about three months. We are going to have some 100° days here soon. We will see how the plastic holds up. I have not looked at the ones that come in the new car, but I bet that one will be the best. I would love some thing with spring loaded guides, etc. that actually does a good job and charge as well.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
Because the Tesla charging dock doesn't work with phones inside cases, we've been using a 3rd party phone dock in our S & X since we purchased the cars in 2017 & 2018. The company used a 3D printer for their docks, and they've worked reasonably well, other than the normal challenge of getting the phones centered over the USB port. The company charges $35 just for the 3D printed guides and another $35 for an adjustable USB connector. And for $98, they have a premium kit that includes metal guides and the adjustable dock.

$85 for a dual wireless charging dock, even if it is 3D printed, actually looks like a pretty good deal, compared to what we paid to get our phones to charge using USB.

Would have preferred to purchase a wireless charger from Tesla - and if they had planned to make that available, they could have added it to the store - and if they didn't have enough stock, mark it out of stock for now. Since they haven't done that, they may not be planning to make this an upgrade for existing vehicles.

Gt1948

2017 S FSD AP 3.0 MCU 1
Aug 17, 2017
Millington TN

View attachment 534852 View attachment 534853 View attachment 534854 View attachment 534856

like this... but no files for Iphone 11 max pro..

bandido

Apr 16, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
like this... but no files for Iphone 11 max pro..
I have the IPhone XS Max. Is there a size difference? I wish there were more specific sizes, but so far so good. The Tesla spring loaded guides would be nice, but no one is that interested in making that yet. But soon I hope, :D

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
Received the Green Mission dual wireless charger and installed it into our Model X.

Installation was simple, required removing the guides for the Tesla phone charging dock and the rubber mat between the chargers and the USB ports.

The dual charger comes in two pieces. The single charger slides over the top of the rotating console cover door, with clips that are small enough to allow the door to close with only a single charger installed. The second charger slides onto the front of the single charger. Both chargers have a USB cable - so they are plugged into separate USB plugs. We have a higher amperage dual USB charger plugged into the DC accessory outlet, to provide more power for the wireless chargers.

While they could have done a nicer job in finishing out the exposed 3D printed parts, there isn't that much actually exposed, so it's not an issue.

The only small issue I've found is that the second charger has two small screw heads exposed at the back, where the top of the charger parts are fastened together. I was concerned about the possibility of scratching the display on a phone placed in the back charger slot. Added a small strip of cloth velcro to the back of the front charger to protect the back phone's display.

After dealing with lining up the USB port at the bottom of phones in the Tesla charger dock for years, it will be great to be able to charge two phones at the same time, and only have to slide them into the slots.

Reactions: Shadious

SD Diver

Apr 5, 2016
San Diego
Wireless charging comes standard in the 2020 Model S and I am sure the part number will be available soon directly from Tesla. It works flawlessly.
Just picked up my new LR+ yesterday. Sadly has a Jan 2020 build date so I probably just missed getting the factory charger.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC