TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S with Custom Blue Paint

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by PaceyWhitter, Apr 17, 2013.

1. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I wanted that color badly. There was someone on here who was planning on doing a full wrap in blue. Maybe that's the car.

3. jayfrost

jayfrost Member

I know for a fact that car is wrapped. I saw it at the service center a few days ago. Now I dont want to ever upset another owner, but I just dont get the idea of wrapping a whole car in another color. It did have a nice sheen, but I am fairly certain that the Telsa blue in under the vinyl.

Pacey, I see your in Columbus. Have your joined our Ohio Tesla Owners Group (OTOG). We are planning our first meeting on the 17th of May at the Dublin Golf Club for a great EV event. Please feel free to join our group. Link is in my signature.

Thanks,

Jason

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well, the sigs were only allowed 4 colors, but beyond that, the Model S really has a rather shallow pool of colors to choice from. Wraps can offer so much more.

5. jayfrost

jayfrost Member

I agree with the lack of colors, just not sure about vinyl wrapping a car. Would the cost of painting be greater? Or does the vinyl protect the original painting so that it looks new when taken off? More curious than my subjective opinion may show.

Jason

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

There is that aspect (protecting the paint), but a wrap is far less intrusive than repainting (sanding down etc) and allows you to switch colors easily as well (or switch back to your original paint). It's definitely not for everyone, but it can be pretty cool.

7. Laurent

Laurent Member

8. 7racer

7racer Member

I'ved had my GT-R wrapped twice in two different colors. The cost can be comparable depending on what you are having done (vs paint). But the benefit of the wrap is the reversibility. Not only that, it protects the underlying paint, is super easy to maintain (no more waxing the car) and can almost have as wide of variety of colors as paint (you can get gloss, chrome, metallic, flat, satin, etc...wraps).

I really love it and plan to get my Brammo Empulse R electric bike wrapped soon!

9. Alpha

Alpha Member

Nice! Helps to be famous I guess...

10. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

Yeah, while I didn't get up close and personal with the car (just saw it on the road) but if it is wrapped it looks just like paint at least from distance.

And it looked great.