TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S with dark windows?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ffylling, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ffylling

ffylling Member

I have reserved an EU Model S for Norway, but can not see any option for original dark windows?

It will looks much more exlusive with dark toned sideglas.

Anyone knows?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The European specs haven't been published yet, but there isn't any such option for the North American cars because each jurisdiction has different requirements on what is allowed. I suspect that each European country has different regulations as well. In North America folks get the tint put on after delivery. I'm more concerned about not being able to see at night (when backing up or turning) than I am about heat because I can always turn on the a/c.

As far as looks go, that's a personal choice. Let's just say exclusive is not the term I would use.

3. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

There is the option of the UV and heat block tint, that helps keeps the cabin cool but doesn't darken the windows (a very slight tint). I think 3m makes it.

4. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

My concern with the lack of window tinting has mainly been with the rear facing seats, and how kids sitting there may get a lot of glare from headlights at night (especially from large trucks / SUVs).

I guess we'll have to try it and see...

5. ffylling

ffylling Member

On almost every european car you will have the option of choosing toned Windows from the B-post and back. Sidewindows in front is not allowed to tinting. (Even i allways do it with the 30% tint film. smoke-grey colour.)

It will reduce heat inside the copue in the summer, it prevents people discover your personal belongings left in the car, AND the car looks MUCH better:)

The sight from inside-out is almost not affected, but from outside-in it's significant reduced.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

In the daytime that's true. At night it's different.

7. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Actually, if it's allowed in one EU contry, it's allowed in all. Seems we're a bit more "integrated" than the US ;)

8. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Says the Norwegian... :tongue:

9. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Hey be careful, there be more of us Norsks than you know! ;)

Actually I'm thinking about going as dark as Oregon will allow. Pretty sure you can't touch the windscreen, but the side and rear glass, you can, to some degree.

10. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Hehe, doesn't really matter as we are really tight with EU through the EEA agreement. Thus we incorporate the same laws and standards as the rest of the EU, without having any say in the matter ;)

11. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

12. Oreo

Oreo Member

I'm tinting my windows no matter what. Even my Leaf's got it and I find myself using the rear view camera more and more. So I'm not bying that argument of less view out at night. Besides I also had tinted (35%) Windows on my previous vehicle without Any problems, Even in the midle of the darkest winter here in Norway. And nobody Will ever spot my kids Winnie the Pooh sun(!) protection screens.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm tinting my windows no matter what. Even my Leaf's got it and I find myself using the rear view camera more and more. So I'm not bying that argument of less view out at night. Besides I also had tinted (35%) Windows on my previous vehicle without Any problems, Even in the midle of the darkest winter here in Norway. And nobody Will ever spot my kids Winnie the Pooh sun(!) protection screens.

13. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Growing up in Florida I was used to almost ever car having jet black windows. My car in high school had really dark windows (18% I think). In Atlanta it is much less common, and well I don't have any tint on my windows. But when My S gets here I am getting dark windows. 35% is the legal limit in Georgia and it just isn't quite dark enough.

14. SigGuy

SigGuy Member

Has anybody tinted their windows yet? Pictures?? Thinking of tinting by brown Model S but I'd like to see how it looks. All pics welcome =)

15. Zextraterrestrial

sry no links - but there are quite a few done. (Auto image- Belmont) has an S on their page
    & I am getting mine done on Saturday - will post pics nextweek

sl.jpg
    this is from Auto image webpage (not my pic or car)

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#16 yobigd20, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012