Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model S with old AC induction motor and new adaptive suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the only way to tell is by looking at the option codes. As I understand it, the "Raven" name goes with the combination of new PMSRM motor and adaptive suspension and other tech upgrades. A car with the old AC induction motor and new adaptive suspension is a kind of hybrid with some but not all of the new Raven upgrades.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
What I am trying to accomplish is to get the VIN of the model S cars that were made with older drive units and new adaptive suspension.

The reason is that my Raven model S with the new drive unit has high pitched whistles that are annoying to me, and also annoying to some others, see Why I returned my 2019 Tesla Model X?

I would like to replace the new drive unit with the old one. I want to find the VINs and see if I can buy one of those cars, or send the VINs to Tesla and ask them to swap out the new motor for the old one.

According to Tesla Tap VIN Decoder, the 8th digit of the VIN designates dual or single motor and whether it is Performance or not. 4 = Dual Motor Performance; 1 = Single motor ; 2 = dual motor (non performance); 3 = single motor Performance (old +) then A through P (not all used) represents some of the older 40/80/and 90 KW motor variants. There appears to be no specific VIN character for RAVEN per se.; EV-CPO may h Keep in mind VINs are issued/registered by the NHTSB in the US to comply with international standards to designate required vehicle information and don't necessarily go to the component level. However, it would seem Tesla knows the serial number start point since the RAVEN software is different for the motor type as well as the suspension change -- EV-CPO may also have determined the serial number cut over.. Ask your local store if they can tell from the vehicle serial number - they may not be willing to share serial number data, but will say whether a Model S is RAVEN or not. or whether any "S" were built with the suspension without the Model 3 front permanent mag motor is also something only Tesla may know by the serial number.

I will listen for the "whistle" when my RAVEN S arrives, I don't hear it in my RAVEN X.

Last edited:
EV-CPO is not a VIN decoder. All the information is derived from the option codes included with each car Tesla lists for sale on their website.

It's also well known that Tesla does not manufacture cars in VIN order, so there likely is not a hard serial number cut-over for either the adaptive suspension or the permanent magnet motor or "Raven" cars in general. You have to look at the option codes to make these determinations.

I believe zero cars were sold with old front motor but with adaptive suspension. I also don't think Tesla will swap motors for you to make one. So you'll have to pick if you want a pre-Raven or post-Raven car. I went from a RWD P85+ to a Raven car, and while I do hear the front motor, and it does sound different than pre-Raven AWD loaners I've had, I don't find it objectionable. With pre-Raven cars there were definitely variations in how loud the motors were; I don't know if that was due to car-to-car variations or design changes. So maybe Raven cars will also sound different and maybe you can find one you like. I hope you find what you're looking for, but I doubt it will be a half-Raven (franken-raven?) car.

I found Model X VIN 160583 and 160883 with old motor DU00 and new suspension SU03 on ev-cpo.com
I could not find any model S, but that may be because Tesla reduced the set of option codes available in their data stream.

I drove 3 Raven cars. I did not hear whistles when they were brand new less than 100km, but all 3 developed whistles after the first 100km.
The 3 pre-Raven cars I drove were all virtually silent with no hint of any whistle.