TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S won't charge

Discussion in 'Model S' started by shaif, Jul 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. shaif

shaif Member

As of this morning, my 85D model S won't charge. I've tried few charging stations including supercharging and it just won't charge. The plug-in light show like it is charging (green), and the screen is showing the the Amp is '0' and the mi/hr is '0' also. I've called Tesla and they instructed me to drive to their closest location. Does anybody might know what's wrong with my car?

2. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

if it's not charging on a supercharger or through a UMC/HPWC, then it is probably something with the battery

• Like x 1
  3. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

In past posts, a symptom like this usually indicates a problem at the high voltage junction box.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I've had this happen in my four year old car and the charger needed to be replaced.

5. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

charger is bypassed on supercharging so the fact that he can't do that means it's more than the charger

• Like x 1
  6. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

#6 SMAlset, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Let us know what your SvC says. I just read a thread with a guy having issues trying to supercharge (getting 0 Amps) and green charge ring. His situation occurred when he was down to 8 mile of charge. Here's his thread: HELP: Stuck at a supercharger and the car won't charge It was posted under the X forum but from his signature line he could have been in a month-old MS 75D.

7. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

I found when you are low on battery and perhaps it's a little chilly that the car would stay at 0 amp for a long while. For me it was 30 minutes before it decided to start charging. I did a post about it with pictures a while back. No idea how to find that post now.

8. shaif

shaif Member

Couple of clarifications: When I identify the issue, I've tried to switch to a different charging station at my office and then drove to a Tesla Supercharger station. In both the Amp was '0' and the mi/hr charging was '0' as well. In the Supercharging station I kept the car plug-in for almost an hour, with no progress whatsoever. I live in south California, so I doubt if the issue caused by the weather conditions. I had abut 55 miles left in my battery in my first attempt to recharge.
    As mentioned, I called the Tesla road assistance and they asked me to drive over immediately to the closest Tesla service location. The kept the car over night, they succeed to recharge it. During their logs analysis they found my multiple attempts to recharge yesterday. They call me few min ago and said that they involve the Engineering team to analyze the logs further. I'll keep you all posted...

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  9. whitex

whitex Active Member

Maybe battery is reporting it's too cold (sensor malfunction)?

10. shaif

shaif Member

Whitex, you read my mind, that's exactly what I was thinking. Taking into consideration my limited understanding in how Tesla design the charging system and the battery protection mechanism it make sense that the temp sensor might be the cause for this failure.

11. shaif

shaif Member

An update to you all on this matter - I got a phone call from Tesla saying that the Engineering team decided that the fault is with the main battery. Not surprising. They did said however, that it will take them a while to find a brand new set of batteries that fits my car, no ETA as of today. They gave me a loner Tesla in the meanwhile.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

@shaif did they explicitly mention a new battery? Curious that they don't have a loaner pack. Guess you'll be getting one of the 85 kWh packs rolling off the gigafactory line.

13. shaif

shaif Member

Yes, I specifically asked that question and they said that they can't locate a loaner pack for my car and they are now in process to get a new one. Only god knows how long it will take.... I miss my autopilot already :-(

14. SPXMike

SPXMike Member

Similar happened to me three weeks ago and I got a 85 kW loaner pack, manufactured this year. Been driving on it for two weeks now.

15. shaif

shaif Member

SPXMike what exactly does 'loaner pack' means? Interested enough, Tesla told me that they can't use loaner pack in my car (I have 85D).

16. SPXMike

SPXMike Member

"Loaner pack" means they loan you a battery while they fix your original battery. It took them 3-4 days to get another battery - apparently a new 85 kWh manufactured just a month or so ago - and they took my battery out and stuck this new battery in my car. Then they sent my battery back to Fremont to "fix" it. When they get it back they will call me and swap out the "loaner" battery pack I have now with my "repaired" original battery. They said they need the car for a day to do this. I have no idea when this will happen.

I don't know why they told you they can't use a loaner battery pack in your car. Seems odd.

17. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

I think he means that they didn't have any loaner packs on hand at the service center. When it is installed in the vehicle, I bet anything that the service invoice will refer to it as a "loaner" pack.