Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S / X and yellow screen border - any repairs in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone in the UK with an S/X that has the yellow screen/border problem on the MCU has had it repaired, not just replaced? I reported it to the service centre early this year and they told me solution was expected in the summer.

I've read on the Model S forum about a fix:
MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!
but it seems the roll-out is slow, even in the USA.

Before I bother my service centre again, has anyone heard anything about this repair in the UK?

I'm seeing the very first signs of change on my S 11mths in to owning it.. will be contacting SC re the issue..but no way would i wait many months for a resolution. My view is that this is a warranty issue due to poor selection of sub-product etc and should be fixed or replaced within a matter of a few weeks... and again if necessary until warranty expires or permenant solution is found. If you bought a TV or laptop that did this you wouldn't put up with it for 6 mths.
However sympathetic one may be to Tesla or however supportive of their aims - it isn't the customers fault and it should be put right.
The so called UV fix (according to other forums) is far from perfect , perhaps only 50% effective and no long term trials. The implication of UV is to try and re-do the cross links of whatever adhesive is used. - that's an assumption on my part from having played with assorted light-fix dental compounds in a past life - and implies either that the original 'cure' was insufficient or the adhesive wasn't suitable for this purpose

Reactions: rohan_aus
There are many threads on this on the US forum. Tesla originally replaced the screens under warranty and then stopped. Their stance now is that it is not a warranty issue, purely cosmetic and functioning as designed. The UV fix/repair is rolling out at a snails pace, isn’t guaranteed to work and isn’t permanent.

Many US owners are taking Tesla to arbitration and those that I have read about have been successful in arguing it is a valid warranty claim. However even cars only a few months old are showing the same defect. There is an excerpt in a biography of Musk where the screen is discussed during the Model S design. In a nutshell the fact a car had never had a screen like this before didn’t deter him, and that’s great - but I don’t believe (conjecture) the manufacturer has ever said it is fit for automotive purposes. That would explain why they are loath to replace them as there’s no supplier recourse and the new one’s aren’t any better. Money they haven’t got being thrown down the drain.

It’s very odd that some cars are affected and not others, sunlight and heat are often cited but there was one owner in a cold part of North America who kept his car in the garage - within 7 months the screen had the infamous yellow banding.

I’m very lucky that my car hasn’t (so far) been affected as I know it would do my head in, but as to what you can do about it I’m not so sure. I’d certainly be arguing strongly for a warranty and not goodwill replacement, but if HQ say no the SC will just say ‘computer says no’

I hope and anticipate that if it comes to it our UK consumer protection rules will apply otherwise it could be a tedious process. In my case at the time I bought the S I had every reason to believe the screen to be a warranty item and I don't think it's right that the seller should change their mind unilaterally some months after purchase.

I hope and anticipate that if it comes to it our UK consumer protection rules will apply otherwise it could be a tedious process. In my case at the time I bought the S I had every reason to believe the screen to be a warranty item and I don't think it's right that the seller should change their mind unilaterally some months after purchase.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn’t think it’s a warranty issue, outside of Tesla HQ. The fact the functionality seems unimpaired so what, it’s clearly not fit for purpose. I think the owners going to arbitration are making sure it’s dealt with as a warranty matter and not goodwill. You can pay for the replacement if you want though o_O

It’s a great shame, this and the capacity capping on some of the older batteries is leaving a very sour taste in the mouths of what are otherwise great fans of the brand who love their cars and what Tesla is trying to do.

Reactions: pgkevet
I had very mild yellow border on our 17 X last autumn, Tesla were replacing screens back than, new screen developed the yellow border even quicker!

Tesla ranger told me a few weeks ago when fitting the CCS chargers, even the current MCU 2 screens will develop the same thing, UV fix is not working, and apparently Tesla are waiting on a completely new screen manufacture??

Even if you have the yellow border its pointless pressing Tesla for a new screen because its clearly an inherent manufacture fault. Hopefully next 12 months a new screen will be out.

Even if you have the yellow border its pointless pressing Tesla for a new screen because its clearly an inherent manufacture fault. Hopefully next 12 months a new screen will be out.

Have they said that ‘when” the fault free screen is out they will replace all the affected ones under warranty? I’ve certainly not seen that.

The more one reads about this issue the more conflicting stories of 'what Tesla employees said'. There are folk who were told a new screen was coming at the beginning of the year, folk waiting for the UV fix etc. And still waiting.
The problem is that if you simply roll-over and wait for Tesla to get around to it then they have little incentive to do so. They're better off fobbing customers off until beyond their warranty period.
I suspect most Tesla employees are just passing on rumours rather than factual knowledge on the matter. We've all come to understand the term 'Tesla Time'. They are not the only motor manufacturer to deny a problem to avoid recalls and fixes - they need pushing.

Just curious, does the yellowing show in night mode? Serious question, for once.

After initially briefly testing out the Model 3 screen, I didn't like day mode, so thought that I would use night mode (a subsequent longer test, I got a bit more use to day mode so still open to that). Night mode seems to work well no matter day or night on the 3, not sure about S or X. So if that masks the problem, it may be an option for those who don't like the nicotine look until a more permanent solution is found.

My 2018 S developed the yellow screen very quickly. I raised a service request via the app and was sent an email from Tesla stating they have noted the issue and will contact me when a fix is available. Some time after, i noticed yellowing on the dashboard/binnacle screen (the one in front of the driver) so replied to this email and was sent a very similar reply.
I guess Telsa here are pushing the line that it will be fixed so fingers crossed. Just raise a service request and get onto 'the list'!

My 2018 S developed the yellow screen very quickly. I raised a service request via the app and was sent an email from Tesla stating they have noted the issue and will contact me when a fix is available. Some time after, i noticed yellowing on the dashboard/binnacle screen (the one in front of the driver) so replied to this email and was sent a very similar reply.
I guess Telsa here are pushing the line that it will be fixed so fingers crossed. Just raise a service request and get onto 'the list'!

..and they've kept you waiting how long? The longer you're on the end of the hook the longer they may well dangle you? I appreciate it takes time to sort out this fault but it's not a new thing.. reports go back more than a year.

..and they've kept you waiting how long? The longer you're on the end of the hook the longer they may well dangle you? I appreciate it takes time to sort out this fault but it's not a new thing.. reports go back more than a year.
Waiting a couple of months now. Agreed they should have a fix now but in mind its logged on their side so I can always chase them periodically but its not as annoying as it was when i first noticed it so am happy to wait

If Tesla were smart they would develop a new screen without the issue. During same time frame develop a new cpu for it (call it MCU3). Offer CPU upgrade as optional (say) £1k, and swap screen (if old type even if not showing yellow band) as warranty.

I raised a service request via the app with yellow border as one item and I got this response:

“We now have the tool to resolve the yellow border so we will commence the work on the 30th”.

That appointment is for 30th October, at the London West Drayton service centre.

I’ll report back how it goes and try and find out more about their opinion of the permanence of the solution.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before but Tesla service no longer has a phone line - all discussion is via text message or email. (I had to text them to ask them to email me...)